Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink The Origin of the Soundhole - my take...

Page 1 of 1

IRL, I'm a shop teacher and one job is teaching 6th graders how to build instruments. I tell them this story every year. Well, I have lots of downtime, so I made a video of my take. The video covers a lot of ground... no conspiracy theories, but I come pretty close. Enjoy.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Hi Ferenc, That is brilliant! Do you prefer to be called a Renaissance man or a polymath? It's your choice, because it is obvious you are both.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Well done, Ferenc! It reminds me of the BBC programme "Connections", but I don't know how much of it is meant seriously given the date it was posted. Wink

I learned (and forgot) a bit about Renaissance mathematics when I studied history of science, and eventually I even wrote my master thesis on the different concepts of celestial harmony in the works of Johannes Kepler and Athanasius Kircher. But don't worry, I will resist to make a long and boring comment about historical accuracy here.

Considering the shape of the sound hole: Couldn't it be, that the f-shape is just a modificaion of the C-shape, the lower part being flipped around, so that it fits the narrower body shape?

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Thank you for sharing that. It was entertaining and informative. Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher.

thanks for watching and the kind words!
Simon, I know there's some inaccuracies, but this is a quick overview for 6th graders (10-11 years old). I, too, was a big fan of "Connections"!!
As for changing the shape from C to f, I agree with you. The f is more elegant and Italiante, and better suits the shape of the violin.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

PolloGuitar wrote:

I know there's some inaccuracies, but this is a quick overview for 6th graders (10-11 years old).

And that's why I'll keep my mouth shut. Interesting young people in a topic such as this definitely justifies simplifying things. They will meet people who know everything to the smallest detail soon enough in their lifes. Wink

BTW, since the Renaissance is also the time of the rediscovery of the Hermetic philosophy and other symbolical and analogy-based interpretations of the world, it is also possible, that instrument makers really thought f-holes would have to to be louder since they resembled the forte-symbol.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Apr 03, 2020 14:00:42

Speaking of Connections, a show I loved too. I've been watching a show on Netflix called Everyday Miracles, which has a similar approach. The host explains the history and stories around all the various materials that make up modern life. Very enjoyable.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Great video Ferenc!

I find it odd that acoustic guitars almost exclusively have round sound holes. Guitars with f holes were more popular in the 1940's and 50's, but the are unpopular today.

There is a local luthier that showed me the guitar he made that had two horns rather than a sound hole - treble notes went out one horn and bass notes went out a separate horn. Incredible craftsmanship but it seemed to make a simple thing complicated and I struggled to hear much difference. Amongst all the other parameters in the creation of musical instruments - ease of manufacturing is also very important

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: May 14, 2020 07:18:01

Great! And nice Discworld subliminal there too.

Rick

Page 1 of 1