Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Dick Dale Guitar Setup

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hi
I am writing this post with the hope to find what pickups Dick Dale was using on his guitar.
Some people say they are fat 50s, vintage 65s, stock 60s. It is rediculus that there is no specific spec.
Can someone please help me to find his exact pickups or the closest you can get to them.
Thanks

The Fender Custom Shop Dick Dale Signature Stratocaster has "three Custom ’50s pickups with special switching."

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/series/artist/dick-dale-signature-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-chartreuse-sparkle/

Ok
But on the fender site, they say their pure vintage 65s pickups produce clean surf rock tones. So completely clear and the signature guitar is not a complete replica.
So is it known when he got is guitar, 1950s or 1960s?

Hey MineCharger,
There are several old threads on DD's gear if you search. But to cut to the chase, Dick claims he got the guitar directly from Leo Fender in the mid-50's. That Stratocaster, affectionately known as The Beast, has a rosewood fretboard, which first appeared as standard on Strats in mid 1959. So the original pick-ups would probably be from late fifties. Maybe 1960. I have heard a story that one of the pick-ups were stolen from the guitar, and replaced with a much later version, 1970's. The Beast went through all kinds of mods over the years. A forum member here actually had the chance to play The Beast and as I recall, he said it has a distinctive tone to it even when played acoustically. I believe it was Ivan Pongracic. Maybe he will chime in.

Thanks
So if you were to create a complete replica, what pickups would you use?

Something replicating Strat pick-ups from the late 50's early 60's. There's a lot to choose from.

Strat-o-rama wrote:

Hey MineCharger,
There are several old threads on DD's gear if you search. But to cut to the chase, Dick claims he got the guitar directly from Leo Fender in the mid-50's.

I believe Dick first received a right-handed Strat from Leo, and only a bit later the left-handed Beast. There were probably two Strats when he's talking about these things.

That Stratocaster, affectionately known as The Beast, has a rosewood fretboard, which first appeared as standard on Strats in mid 1959. So the original pick-ups would probably be from late fifties. Maybe 1960.

Steve Soest, of the Torquays but also of the Del-Tones, who not only played bass for Dick but also did a lot of work on his guitars through the years, said that he got to take it apart at several points and saw the '59 date on it. The Beast is a late '59, as also indicated by its rosewood fretboard.

I have heard a story that one of the pick-ups were stolen from the guitar, and replaced with a much later version, 1970's.

Yep, this is absolutely factual, again confirmed by Steve on Facebook some time ago. He said he was amazed that when Dick plugged in the Beast first time with those pickups, Steve was amazed that he sounded exactly the same! Dick's sound is not about the pickups - it was simply him.

The Beast went through all kinds of mods over the years. A forum member here actually had the chance to play The Beast and as I recall, he said it has a distinctive tone to it even when played acoustically. I believe it was Ivan Pongracic. Maybe he will chime in.

Yep, it was me. Too late now to look for that thread, but you remember exactly correctly! Dick has really impressed his personality into that guitar through the decades, imprinted his own sound into it in a pretty remarkable way. I had a chance to play it in '03 or '04, and it was just beat to HELL at that point, I can't believe it was still holding together! But he used it and abused it for another 15 years. Pretty remarkable, really!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Also
Does any one know what the two mini toggle switches do in this photo?

The big toggle activates the neck and middle pickups together (since his guitar has the old 3-way pickup selector) and the small toggle turns on his built-in tuning system.

the small toggle turns on his built-in tuning system.

How does that work?

MineCharger wrote:

How does that work?

If you look at the photo of The Beast two posts up, right above Dick's left hand you can see a bunch of notches on the edge of the pickguard. There are tiny LED lights on the side of pickguard there where if you flip the microswitch, it shuts off the guitar signal and turns on the tuner, and those LEDs act like a regular tuner. I don't know if those kinds of pickguards are still available, but they were a thing for a while in the '90, and Dick had it installed in his guitar. I also don't know if that tuner pickguard stayed on the Beast until Dick's passing, and if it's still on there or whether he got rid of it at some point.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Apr 01, 2020 10:50:50

IvanP wrote:

MineCharger wrote:

How does that work?

If you look at the photo of The Beast two posts up, right above Dick's left hand you can see a bunch of notches on the edge of the pickguard. There are tiny LED lights on the side of pickguard there where if you flip the microswitch, it shuts off the guitar signal and turns on the tuner, and those LEDs act like a regular tuner. I don't know if those kinds of pickguards are still available, but they were a thing for a while in the '90, and Dick had it installed in his guitar. I also don't know if that tuner pickguard stayed on the Beast until Dick's passing, and if it's still on there or whether he got rid of it at some point.

Cool, a Dick Dale Against The Machine toggle!

Surfin’ Europe - Surf gigs in Europe
The Malbehavers – Instrumental Surf Music from Tilburg (NL)

All I know is super heavy strings and high action. Even Dick said only he could play his guitar because he had "claws" for hands.

Ivan reported that it had low action, which makes a lot more sense.

Hello again
Looking at more Dick Dale performances and found a rectangular piece on his guitar. Does anyone know what this is?

I believe that was a tuner.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Yeah, it's a tuner. I can't remember what it was called, but I remember finding information on them long ago. It disappeared after the tuner in the pickguard happened. Could it be the same system, just taken out of that black box?

Sabine AX-800 guitar tuner.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

When we played with him in 2015 the Sabine pickguard was still on it. I watched one of his guys change the battery. Under the guard was a pretty crude battery cavity, maybe gouged out with a screwdriver.
I wonder where that thing will end up, Deke maybe?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020 12:35:56

Does anyone know what this specific box is on his guitar?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next