Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surfy Industries Brownfacer Demo

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

SixStringSurfer wrote:

I don’t have a lot of pedals, but all of the ones I own either came with a battery slot or an adapter. The Oceans 11 came with a power adapter! Big Grin

Very interesting to know about Oceans 11. We could have not included a battery because as the pedal is always on, the battery would have been done in 2 hours.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

I totally understand that a battery would not work in this case. Either way, I’m very happy. Kudos!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Hi guys, I just wanted to give some quick feedback of the brownfacer now that I have used it a while. First and foremost, it sounds best with my vintage tube amps. It really has that spongy, fat, slightly distorted brownface Showman sound the most when I go guitar > Fender tank > Brownfacer pedal > Bandmaster. I prefer to put it after the reverb.

Having said that, it really doesn't sound great with my Quilter Tone Block 202. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't shine like it does with my tube amps. It is not very pronounced, if that makes sense. I will try to upload a demo so you guys can hear the difference. Anyone else try it with a Quilter amp?

Overall, I love the pedal and am glad I bought it. It is a staple on my pedalboard now! Next, I will give my thoughts on the SurfyBear Compact, and what one needs to know about using it for the very first time.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Hi guys, I just wanted to give some quick feedback of the brownfacer now that I have used it a while. First and foremost, it sounds best with my vintage tube amps. It really has that spongy, fat, slightly distorted brownface Showman sound the most when I go guitar > Fender tank > Brownfacer pedal > Bandmaster. I prefer to put it after the reverb.

Having said that, it really doesn't sound great with my Quilter Tone Block 202. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't shine like it does with my tube amps. It is not very pronounced, if that makes sense. I will try to upload a demo so you guys can hear the difference. Anyone else try it with a Quilter amp?

Overall, I love the pedal and am glad I bought it. It is a staple on my pedalboard now! Next, I will give my thoughts on the SurfyBear Compact, and what one needs to know about using it for the very first time.

Thanks for your precious feedback!
Ok - you do well to place it after the reverb, it HAS to be the last thing before the amp.
Totally reasonable also about the tone block 202, remember that the quilter amp is based on a showman and setting the pre on “FRFR” it is completely flat and dark already. Adding the brownfacer will make it too dark and aggressive. But I am glad to have your feedback!

(www.surfmusic.net)

I am quite intrigued by this pedal. I have a blues deluxe reissue that gets great clean sounds, but might be a little "polite" for surf. Since the Deluxe uses twin 6L6 tubes this might be just the trick to get the Showman sound.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 28, 2020 17:39:35

Does it require an AC adapter?

Price in USD?

WaimeaBay wrote:

Price in USD?
Yes, it requires and AC adapter. It is $200 (without adapter).

WaimeaBay wrote:

Price in USD?

Like any guitar small pedal, 9V center negative. Power adapter is not included. All info at the web site www.surfyindustries.com

(www.surfmusic.net)

raylinds wrote:

I am quite intrigued by this pedal. I have a blues deluxe reissue that gets great clean sounds, but might be a little "polite" for surf. Since the Deluxe uses twin 6L6 tubes this might be just the trick to get the Showman sound.

Any thoughts?

My thought is: how loud do you keep your amp when you play? Do you reach on the blue deluxe 4-5 of volume or more? Remember, I am not wrong, your amp is a tweed and virtually is already a replica of a tweed/brownface circuitry. So it should be something that at a decent volume, when the tubes really start to work, would already get quite aggressive. A brownfacer pedal in front maybe make the sound even too big.

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

raylinds wrote:

Any thoughts?

My thought is: how loud do you keep your amp when you play? Do you reach on the blue deluxe 4-5 of volume or more? Remember, I am not wrong, your amp is a tweed and virtually is already a replica of a tweed/brownface circuitry. So it should be something that at a decent volume, when the tubes really start to work, would already get quite aggressive. A brownfacer pedal in front maybe make the sound even too big.
Thanks for your honest response. Yes it is a tweed, but I use it in my home studio at fairly low volume. I was interested in having the ability to get that aggressive sound at lower volumes.

raylinds wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

raylinds wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your honest response. Yes it is a tweed, but I use it in my home studio at fairly low volume. I was interested in having the ability to get that aggressive sound at lower volumes.

raylinds wrote:

raylinds wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

raylinds wrote:

Any thoughts?

Totally understandable of course. The brownfacer will make the sound bigger of course and you may achieve that result, you should have to try it. Another option could be an attenuator.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2