Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surfy Industries Brownfacer Demo

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hello,
I made a quick „on/off“ demo of the new Surfy Industries pedal gem, maybe this is of interest for some of you:

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 12:19:26

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 12:19:00

Nice. Thank you! It sounds good. I bet it gets really angry sounding with humbuckers going through it.

Number9 wrote:

Well well well, gotta tell ya buddies: The earth is flat.

?!

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

The_Electrified_Guitarist wrote:

Hello,
I made a quick „on/off“ demo of the new Surfy Industries pedal gem, maybe this is of interest for some of you:

Thanks for the effort, really appreciated.
It is difficult anyway to demo the product on video since it’s characteristics come out mainly in a live situation. From the video the compression feature is what is mostly heard from your video, but as you know it’s not just that.

As the other person mentions it gets very heavy depending on the guitar used and the pickups. Even way too much. It was developed with the bridge pickup in mind first of all and a specific kind of sound.

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

It is difficult anyway to demo the product on video since it’s characteristics come out mainly in a live situation. From the video the compression feature is what is mostly heard from your video, but as you know it’s not just that.

As the other person mentions it gets very heavy depending on the guitar used and the pickups. Even way too much. It was developed with the bridge pickup in mind first of all and a specific kind of sound.

Thank you! Yes, it's hard to capture, but I think how it behaves on different pickups is a good information for potential buyers to know before ordering. I really like the pedal and I think the demo shows that the bridge pickup is in fact where it shines and gets you instantly that famous fat "force of nature" dick dale-ish brownface sound, especially with a outboard reverb tank.

But I agree with the feedback I read in another thread, namely adding a simple on/off switch. I can understand your "take it or leave it" approach and it certainly makes sense for touring surf rock guitarists. For me personally, after a few hours of playing I have come to the conclusion that the pedal will have its place for recording and "fiddling surf rock at home". But since i'm not playing in any surf rock band at the moment, and the band frequency spectrum in my main band is shared with a double bass, dobro guitar, drums, violin and polyphonic vocals, a always on Brownfacer would even at bridge pickup setting be just too much, although it would be perfect to use for some surf rock influenced songs where the lead guitar has more room. I know that this was not what you were aiming for by creating the pedal, but in my opinion this would drastically expand the range of use of the pedal.

Anyway, that's just my two cents and thanks for the great work with Surfy Industries!

Last edited: Mar 02, 2020 07:54:55

The_Electrified_Guitarist wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Thank you! Yes, it's hard to capture, but I think how it behaves on different pickups is a good information for potential buyers to know before ordering. I really like the pedal and I think the demo shows that the bridge pickup is in fact where it shines and gets you instantly that famous fat "force of nature" dick dale-ish brownface sound, especially with a outboard reverb tank.

But I agree with the feedback I read in another thread, namely adding a simple on/off switch. I can understand your "take it or leave it" approach and it certainly makes sense for touring surf rock guitarists. For me personally, after a few hours of playing I have come to the conclusion that the pedal will have its place for recording and "fiddling surf rock at home". But since i'm not playing in any surf rock band at the moment, and the band frequency spectrum in my main band is shared with a double bass, dobro guitar, drums, violin and polyphonic vocals, a always on Brownfacer would even at bridge pickup setting be just too much, although it would be perfect to use for some surf rock influenced songs where the lead guitar has more room. I know that this was not what you were aiming for by creating the pedal, but in my opinion this would drastically expand the range of use of the pedal.

Anyway, that's just my two cents and thanks for the great work with Surfy Industries!

Thanks for your words, much appreciated of course. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, consider that we are evaluating the product and taking partially suggestions on it and its development.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Thank you so much for making this video. I have my $200 set aside and am ready to buy one the very day new ones are released. Hopefully it will be soon!

For the record, I would also prefer there to be an on/off switch. Having said that, I will buy one either way.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Mar 02, 2020 17:26:56

Back in stock in limited quantities for your social distanting exploration! —

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Is Surfy Industries shipping to the USA right now? I am a little concerned about placing an order. Thank you.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Is Surfy Industries shipping to the USA right now? I am a little concerned about placing an order. Thank you.

Our US Dept. Ships from the USA, Memphis.
we ship normally, couriers services seem to be guaranteed.
please email usa@surfyindustries.com and double check with them

(www.surfmusic.net)

Thank you, surferjoemusic. Also, please see my location! I hate to ask, can you waive the shipping fee? I work 10 minutes from where Ted lives! Laughing I am kidding, I don't mind paying $10.25 shipping if necessary.

Last edited: Apr 02, 2020 16:50:24

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Thank you, surferjoemusic. Also, please see my location! I hate to ask, can you waive the shipping fee? I work 10 minutes from where Ted lives! Laughing I am kidding, I don't mind paying $10.25 shipping if necessary.

Hahahahaha TRUE! Check with them and I think there are no problems!

(www.surfmusic.net)

Order has been placed for a Brownfacer pedal, looking forward to playing and recording with it!

Brownfacer just arrived... No battery slot? No adapter? I am screwed! Cry

Update: Found an adapter. MY ‘76 PRINCETON NOW SOUNDS LIKE A ‘61 SHOWMAN! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Seriously, HUGE difference before and after! Can’t wait to try it out on my ‘65 Bandmaster.

Last edited: Apr 06, 2020 20:57:40

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Update: Found an adapter. MY ‘76 PRINCETON NOW SOUNDS LIKE A ‘61 SHOWMAN! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Seriously, HUGE difference before and after! Can’t wait to try it out on my ‘65 Bandmaster.

Glad you got it. For the nature of the effect and how it is designed would have been useless to put a battery. Sorry.
But what about it? How do you feel the improvement of the sound?

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Glad you got it. For the nature of the effect and how it is designed would have been useless to put a battery. Sorry.

The improvement of the sound is night and day. When I removed the pedal, my amp sounded thin and lifeless. I am sure I could have made adjustments with my EQ pedal to make it sound fuller, but this pedal really gave me the sound I have been craving.

I am sure it is my fault, but please put in big bold letters "This item does not come with a power supply." Just my recommendation... I will try to do a demo soon, with my Princeton/Bandmaster and/or my Quilter 202!

SixStringSurfer wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

SixStringSurfer wrote:

The improvement of the sound is night and day. When I removed the pedal, my amp sounded thin and lifeless. I am sure I could have made adjustments with my EQ pedal to make it sound fuller, but this pedal really gave me the sound I have been craving.

I am sure it is my fault, but please put in big bold letters "This item does not come with a power supply." Just my recommendation... I will try to do a demo soon, with my Princeton/Bandmaster and/or my Quilter 202!

We will consider your suggestion of course. But let me ask you one thing: when you buy ANY 9V standard pedal/effect existing on this planet (although this planet is fucked right now...) like Boss, Electro Harmonix, Catalinbread, Danelectro, Strymon... have you ever seen one coming with a power adapter? Why did you think this was coming with a special power supply? Just asking. It's honestly the very first time we have this comment.

But most important: THANKS for the kind words! I am glad it does its job. Please let us know how it will go when you will have the chance to play it with the band.

(www.surfmusic.net)

I don’t have a lot of pedals, but all of the ones I own either came with a battery slot or an adapter. The Oceans 11 came with a power adapter! Big Grin

Last edited: Apr 07, 2020 17:42:17

Goto Page: 1 2 Next