Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 1961 Fender Jazz Bass In "Surf Burst" Finish - A Del-Tones Guitar?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

edwardsand wrote:

And I'll chime in again to say I like the look of the tort pickguard with the paint job.

Thanks! I have a bunch of old surf books being delivered this week. Needle in a haystack, but hopefully this guitar is in one of them Smile

treyrab wrote:

I have a bunch of old surf books being delivered this week. Needle in a haystack, but hopefully this guitar is in one of them Smile

Out of curiosity, what "old surf books" are you getting?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Well, the books are not old. But they are about the old surf guitar era. I bought:

Surfing about Music by Tim Cooley
Surfin' Guitars: Instrumental Surf Bands of the Sixties by Bob Dalley
Southern California Surf Music, 1960-1966 by John Blair
Surf Beat: Rock 'n' Roll's Forgotten Revolution (Guitar Reference) by Kent Crowley

Good books (especially the one by some guy named Blair), but none of them, unfortunately, will help with the provenance of that bass. Happy reading.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

John wrote:

Good books (especially the one by some guy named Blair), but none of them, unfortunately, will help with the provenance of that bass. Happy reading.

Well shucks. I could have saved $100! Kidding, I'm having fun researching this and learning regardless. Thanks John!

It sure looks great in any case. If I wasn't pretty sure my bandmates would throw rocks at me I might commission one.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Yeah I have:

Surfin' Guitars: Instrumental Surf Bands of the Sixties by Bob Dalley
and Southern California Surf Music, 1960-1966 by John Blair too.

The first book is more about the bands and what happened to them after surf died. Features some interviews in the late 70's of ex-Surf band members and what they were doing for a living at that time ...from what I remember off the top of my head etc.

Like John Blair was saying, you probably won't find any pictures of your bass in any of the books listed. At least I don't remember any with that bass painted the way it is either.

It's definitely from the period around 1964 give or take a few years painted the way it is now. There were a host of surf bands back then. Most of the bands featured in the surf movies were the top artists at that time. So it could have been just a small forgotten garage band etc.

Its definitely been used a lot at some point, even the chips in the paint look old to me. The stains inside the case from the dirty strings shows it had a lot of use as well.

Did the original owner or estate tell anything about it?

I found a Surf Movie below that has two basses like yours, but in original Fender colors. This came out in 1965, and one of the bands was the Walker Brothers, the guitar player taught Carl Wilson and David Marks how to play guitar back in 1960.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 18:29:35

treyrab wrote:

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Not only did he paint Dick Dale's beast gold, and many other surf era guitars and basses, he painted hot rod cars back then.

Yes, that is what I found out as well, thank you for that info! Dennis's nephew is looking into this for me to see if he can find any old photos, he too thinks his Uncle painted it just by the looks of it.

Actually Dennis' nieces looking into it. My uncle was a genius and actually opened for "The Doors" in Hawaii way back in the day. Will continue to look through what we have (although much was lost in the "estate" sale which upset us greatly).

stacey57717 wrote:

treyrab wrote:

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Not only did he paint Dick Dale's beast gold, and many other surf era guitars and basses, he painted hot rod cars back then.

Yes, that is what I found out as well, thank you for that info! Dennis's nephew is looking into this for me to see if he can find any old photos, he too thinks his Uncle painted it just by the looks of it.

Actually Dennis' nieces looking into it. My uncle was a genius and actually opened for "The Doors" in Hawaii way back in the day. Will continue to look through what we have (although much was lost in the "estate" sale which upset us greatly).

I now know that after we spoke Smile Thank you so much Stacey!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2