Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New items available from Surfy Industries!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

stratdancer wrote:

Ted, I've bothered Bjorn so much over the years with technical questions, maybe you could chase this one down. What would happen to the signal if a Y splitter or an A/B and both switch was used on the output side of this. In other words, is there a degradation of the signal. Yes, two amps are better than 1. It's one lauda!

I was pretty sure of the answer, but since Bjorn is the creator and technical advisor, I ran it by him. Here's the answer:

Brownfacer is no different to other pedals in that respect. Any low impedance output signal can be passed to several high impedance inputs.
I think there are isolated (isolated)  Y-splitters that are superior solution.
Lorenzo may have some real world experience with this so he may have something to add.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

el_pablo wrote:

Hi Ted and Lorenzo, Is there any talk of in the future making a surfy bear reverb pedal that is essentially just the reverb “kit” that would allow you to use an existing reverb pan from an amp? E.g. plug the RCA cables from the pan in the amp to the “reverb pedal” and then the pedal can plug into the front of the amp.

Hi el_pablo,
I haven't heard about anything like this being talked about, but I am pretty sure this would not be high on the list of new ideas. As you can tell, we prefer the sound of the outboard tanks and that is our focus. Thanks for the suggestion though, you never know!
Ted

Last edited: Feb 06, 2020 11:09:17

stratdancer wrote:

Ted, I've bothered Bjorn so much over the years with technical questions, maybe you could chase this one down. What would happen to the signal if a Y splitter or an A/B and both switch was used on the output side of this. In other words, is there a degradation of the signal. Yes, two amps are better than 1. It's one lauda!

Stratdancer,
here is Lorenzo's added info:
ok a Y cord does not had a diod (bjorn correct me if I am wrong) so the signal routes a bit everywhere and using a Y cord is never a good solution. an A/B switch instead should be working better. but there could be a hum problem (ground loop) so you could use something like the HumX from Ebtech to avoid this in case of noise.

el_pablo wrote:

Hi Ted and Lorenzo, Is there any talk of in the future making a surfy bear reverb pedal that is essentially just the reverb “kit” that would allow you to use an existing reverb pan from an amp? E.g. plug the RCA cables from the pan in the amp to the “reverb pedal” and then the pedal can plug into the front of the amp.

I know you got overexcited when seeing the AnaSound stuff Very Happy and yes we have been discussing this for long time, but there are potential noise issues and we don't like the RCA solution. We need better than that. I hate to see crappy cheap RCA cables running around. But remember that we work with a specific tank, in terms of impedance, and not all the pans in the amps are the same.

In general we do not consider this a good solution. Remember also that the reverb sounds better (see surf music...) when the reverb is places before the am gain stage. In an amp it could be placed somewhere else in the loop and the result of the reverb sound could be crappy.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

surferjoemusic wrote:

el_pablo wrote:

I know you got overexcited when seeing the AnaSound stuff Very Happy and yes we have been discussing this for long time, but there are potential noise issues and we don't like the RCA solution. We need better than that. I hate to see crappy cheap RCA cables running around. But remember that we work with a specific tank, in terms of impedance, and not all the pans in the amps are the same.

In general we do not consider this a good solution. Remember also that the reverb sounds better (see surf music...) when the reverb is places before the am gain stage. In an amp it could be placed somewhere else in the loop and the result of the reverb sound could be crappy.

Razz I did see the anasound stuff but what got me excited was a surfy bear build that someone did on this forum a while back. They built the kit into a pedal and used a pan from their amp and then outputted the pedal to the front of the amp, just like an outboard tank. However, I'm no tech so i wasn't aware about problems such as noise.
Anyway thanks for the reply. Surfy industries is a great story. Good luck with the new products!

Paul

The Dead Planet Surfers

Hi Lorenzo,
For the west coast tour, are you running Jazzmaster to SurfyBear Reverb to Brownfacer to Quilter Problock 200/cab.? You've got a great sound!

This 2019 video below has the SurfyBear probably used - featured at 5:04

Strat-o-rama wrote:

Hi Lorenzo,
For the west coast tour, are you running Jazzmaster to SurfyBear Reverb to Brownfacer to Quilter Problock 200/cab.? You've got a great sound!

My Jazzmaster —> SurfyBear compact -> brownfacer (if needed) —> toneblock 202. I changed the pro block 2 weeks ago at Quilter.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Yes, that was a SurfyBear Classic

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

He just wants to use the pan from the combo. The pan is no longer connected to any circuit of the combo but is still mounted inside the combo.

The same way you can use a combo as a cab with another head.
If I have a combo with a nice speaker, I make a 'speaker in', so I can use it with another amp. That's a lot easier then taking the speaker out of the combo and putting it in separate cab each time.

If you have amps with great sounding reverb pans, it's a lot easier to connect the Surfy Bear circuit to that pan, than taking the pan out of the combo, taking the pan out of the Surfy Bear, putting the pan from the combo inside the Surfy Bear each time.

As for noise, reverb pans are a lot more susceptible to induced noise from the amp they're mounted in (transformer hum for example). Most of the time you can't even try and put the pan in a better location.
If you have the pan separate you have options.

In general, make sure the pan has the correct input/output impedance and keep cables running to and from the pan within reasonable length.

Last edited: Feb 06, 2020 18:32:44

el_pablo wrote:

Razz I did see the anasound stuff but what got me excited was a surfy bear build that someone did on this forum a while back. They built the kit into a pedal and used a pan

Many people that have built the kit have done it that way. I did so as well.

However in the surfguitar101 community a large majority have taken the the 'all in one' approach: putting Surfy Bear, Surfy Trem and reverb pan into one enclosure.

What you're suggesting is perfectly feasible and I personally have not encountered any problems with noise. Most of the time I do put my separate pans in a metal enclosure though and try to keep the cables as short as possible.
But at the moment I'm testing and comparing 10 different reverb pans and they're all just lying around on the floor and so far I haven't noticed any noise.

Smile glad to hear all this. Kindly move the conversation about DIY kits on the proper thread. I want to know what you think about the finished new products in here... kits are gone anyway...

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

Smile glad to hear all this. Kindly move the conversation about DIY kits on the proper thread.

Hmm, yeah, sorry about that. Maybe a mod can move them?

I want to know what you think about the finished new products in here... kits are gone anyway...

I think it needs a true bypass switch. LOL
And maybe also a better name and nice graphics, but that's a personal opininion, which you asked for. Smile
Even if it sounds good but has ugly graphics and a racist name it won't sell.
Nice name + nice graphics is what helps pedals sell...and it costs nothing.
Someone on another forum suggested: Brunette...
Brownfacer is so mundane.

Seriously, I think you wrote the perfect 'ad copy'* in your post above:

if you play like the Lively Ones you will not like this. If you already have a Showman, you don’t need this. If you play like Dick Dale you will love this. If you travel and it happens you have to use a shit small amp with no balls and thin sound, this saves your ass.

That simple text will make the right people buy it and will prevent the wrong people from being disappointed and giving the pedal a bad reputation. Sellers/dealers should add this.

Wiki Quote:

Ad copy is a sales letter that addresses the possible objections a customer might have. It also highlights the key features and benefits the customer will receive by making a purchase.

The vintage style jewel pilot light is a nice idea, maybe until someone, in the heath of the moment, forgets this pedal had no bypass switch and stomps on it? It's right in that spot. Maybe when lit it's less confusing.
Have you tested how much it can take?

Last edited: Feb 06, 2020 19:03:12

j_flanders wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Smile glad to hear all this. Kindly move the conversation about DIY kits on the proper thread.

Hmm, yeah, sorry about that. Maybe a mod can move them?

I want to know what you think about the finished new products in here... kits are gone anyway...

I think it needs a true bypass switch. LOL
And maybe also a better name and nice graphics, but that's a personal opininion, which you asked for. Smile
Even if it sounds good but has ugly graphics and a racist name it won't sell.
Nice name + nice graphics is what helps pedals sell...and it costs nothing.
Someone on another forum suggested: Brunette...
Brownfacer is so mundane.

Seriously, I think you wrote the perfect 'ad copy'* in your post above:

if you play like the Lively Ones you will not like this. If you already have a Showman, you don’t need this. If you play like Dick Dale you will love this. If you travel and it happens you have to use a shit small amp with no balls and thin sound, this saves your ass.

That simple text will make the right people buy it and will prevent the wrong people from being disappointed and giving the pedal a bad reputation. Sellers/dealers should add this.

Wiki Quote:

Ad copy is a sales letter that addresses the possible objections a customer might have. It also highlights the key features and benefits the customer will receive by making a purchase.

The vintage style jewel pilot light is a nice idea, maybe until someone, in the heath of the moment, forgets this pedal had no bypass switch and stomps on it? It's right in that spot. Maybe when lit it's less confusing.
Have you tested how much it can take?

Thanks for your opinion. We love brownface amps. So it is called brownfacer. Sorry about this. It is currently sold out.

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Oops . . Didn't realize there is a Compact Version !

Just a idea . . If they made this bigger and added in a modeled Tape Delay section, it would get authentic sounding 60's surf, all the recordings featured tape delay and tank in line together with varied settings etc. Even if they only had a feedback knob for the tape delay section it would be enough.

I know you like the Astronauts, that was a studio trick they used, tape delay, that's why the live album recorded in Japan doesn't sound as good, it doesn't have tape delay.

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Oops . . Didn't realize there is a Compact Version !

Just a idea . . If they made this bigger and added in a modeled Tape Delay section, it would get authentic sounding 60's surf, all the recordings featured tape delay and tank in line together with varied settings etc. Even if they only had a feedback knob for the tape delay section it would be enough.

I know you like the Astronauts, that was a studio trick they used, tape delay, that's why the live album recorded in Japan doesn't sound as good, it doesn't have tape delay.

Thanks for your opinion, we will not add a tape delay sorry. If you have a source that describes the use of the tape echo by the Astronauts I will check it out with pleasure.

(www.surfmusic.net)

I am in California until late February. Please come to a show and I will be happy to listen to ideas and discuss the developments of Surfy Industries with you all. See all the shows here www.surfmusic.net
Bjorn himself was at the Winter Surf Fest on January 25. He would have been very happy to talk to anybody about this topics too.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Please let me know when more Brownfacers become available, I definitely want to buy one. Also, if someone could make a demo video, that would be great.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

FWIW, I had a chance to play around with the new Surfy Industries gear at NAMM (full disclosure - Surfy is now carrying my Drip Switch as the Surfy Drip, so I have some skin in the game)

To me, the Brownfacer was subtle but definitely noticable. The biggest obvious advantage (in my mind) is the Presence control, which is a great feature in Brownface amps and lets you dial in the ultra high end, bringing darker guitars (like Mosrites, for instance) to life. I can't say much about the tone in the greater scheme of things because I only got to try it through headphones and an amp modeling pedal, and NAMM is a mad cacophony with background noise in the 85db range.

It makes sense to think of it as part of your amp as opposed to a "pedal" that you engage or disengage for particular songs or passages. I think Lorenzo said it well about being for musicians who want the brownface "beef" when no brownface amp is available.

On another note, I was really impressed with the SurfyBear Reverb Compact. So impressed I bought one. With the decay control, I was able to dial in a really nice drip that was vitually indistinguishable from my 6G15 Reverb - I put the mix and tone full up, and the decay and dwell around 1 o'clock.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next