Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Build: Fender 6G14-A Showman!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Heater wiring next!

Liam S

Thanks a lot for all the detailed updates. I am following with great interest.

It's interesting to read about all the different places for parts. Seems like a crazy scavenger hunt for stuff that really shouldn't be hard to find. Everyone always says it's best to do that as opposed to a kit, but DANG it seems like a ton of work!! I even wonder if anyone makes a kit for a 6g14. If so, they'd have to get a proper chassis?

Like a lego set, there must be a master list of all parts needed, and what section of the amp they're for? I mean, I guess one could look at the schematic and make a list, hand counted, of all the needed components?

And hey, happy belated birthday. Sixteen?!! How did you even hear of a 6g14?!

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Thanks a lot for all the detailed updates. I am following with great interest.

It's interesting to read about all the different places for parts. Seems like a crazy scavenger hunt for stuff that really shouldn't be hard to find. Everyone always says it's best to do that as opposed to a kit, but DANG it seems like a ton of work!! I even wonder if anyone makes a kit for a 6g14. If so, they'd have to get a proper chassis?

Like a lego set, there must be a master list of all parts needed, and what section of the amp they're for? I mean, I guess one could look at the schematic and make a list, hand counted, of all the needed components?

And hey, happy belated birthday. Sixteen?!! How did you even hear of a 6g14?!

I actually am doing the "hand-counted" technique! No one makes a 6G14A kit or a 6G14 kit sadly. I spoke to Weber because they make amp kits and they said to buy the Twin kit and modify it, I'd rather build something from the ground up and learn while I go along. Me being young I cannot just buy an old 6G14 for $1500+ and up. They're crazy expensive. It has been a hunt for parts, I've been confused and frustrated at some points but I've just got to take a break and relax, I've got all the time in the world!

Now how I found out about it! I started playing guitar two years ago this February 27th(?) of 2018! I've been so grateful to have a grandpa who's been playing since 1956 who teaches me a lot, we share a love for old music, blues, jazz, country, and many many other styles. I started listening to Duane Eddy when I started, god I annoyed my sister playing Rebel Rouser lol. Well anyways I watched Dick Dale live and I've seen a couple of other bands with it, and I finally realized what that "sound" was, it was the monster Fender Showman. My grandfather bought one new with a 1x15 in the early 60s, used it on the road for a while and he doesn't even remember having it but he knows it was a showman. But yeah, I am 16! But that doesn't stop me from learning how to build a tube amp haha.

Liam S

But they don’t have the brownface 6g8 or 6g8-A Twin kits right? So that’s not even close to a helpful answer! But you’re driving right past that nonsense, well done!

COOL GRAMPA!!! That’s wonderful. My dad taught me my first guitar chords but he played Slack Key and banjo so after the chords I moved to rock music and zero lessons ha! Now he’s dead and my mom and brother are over 5000 miles away in Hawaii. Wish I had a grampa I could enjoy music with.

Last year I had Carl’s amps pour some serious mojo into a 6g14 clone. It sounds incredible and very close to The Phantom Surfers tone. The chassis is the same size as the real ‘62 Showman, but the cab is about 1.5” taller. I expected it to be identical. Maybe he’ll have some ideas for some of those crazy obscure parts? (Like chassis?) Or maybe hit up some of the larger forums for advice? Many of those builders will help you, especially after they learn your age and back story!! Tdpri comes to mind, as does (ehrm) The gear page or Gearslutz. Then again I see you’ve already begun the sockets so it’s prolly too late!

Thank you so much for posting!

Daniel Deathtide

We just need a faceplate to work with the existing mojotone chassis. I could have a couple made here in Dayton if I find a business that does that. This chassis is perfect though, I just need to drill it out a bit. Here soon me and my grandpa will be drilling it out and making a head cab also a 1x15 cab for it.

Liam S

bought some misc parts today. Also the choke!

Liam S

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020 20:08:57

This baby came today! The power transformer.

Liam S

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020 16:59:12

Last Post has been removed by the author.

Liam S

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 18:46:47

I have decided to retry my heater wiring attempt. I'll clean the pins and buy some new wire and take my time. Why not do it right and clean? Also, I'll be ordering most of the other parts sometime this week. Most are coming from Tube Depot, they have some of the best prices for bulk items.

Liam S

Well uhh, it's been a while since I gave an update, I've been on the Telecaster reissue forum on the shock brothers amp threads. Well, most of my parts came except tubes, speakers, knobs, and wire. Here's the amp as it sits today! I need to file down some of the new holes we made today with the dremel. Looking like a real Showman now!

Liam S

Filed down the holes for the pots! Now they all look great.

Liam S

It's been a while since I gave an update. I've been on Shock Brothers DIY amps. So I think I'm about 70% done so far. Still have to buy tubes, speaker, and build the cabinets.

Liam S

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:17:51

She’s alive! V1 measures at 6.5v. Now time to buy tubes lol. The first amp build is pretty much a success!

Liam S

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020 11:03:44

Daaaaayum!

Daniel Deathtide

Amp sounds great! I'll post some clips soon. People on the internet can really make your amp building experience bad, some guys said I didn't need an artificial tap and I do. Well turns out I do! Ps..The harmonic tremolo works!

Liam S

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:16:25

Wait what?! You mean there’s BAD information on the Internet?!!! Did you get any good advice online?

Glad you finished it dude! Now make a 6g15! Standing by on sound samples.

The one mod I’d do if I ever built that amp, is have an insert out so I could put reverb before the harmonic vibrato. (I don’t even know if that’s possible.)

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

The one mod I’d do if I ever built that amp, is have an insert out so I could put reverb before the harmonic vibrato. (I don’t even know if that’s possible.)

To get that Phil Collins sound? Laughing

Surfin’ Europe - Surf gigs in Europe
The Malbehavers – Instrumental Surf Music from Tilburg (NL)

Here's a video of what the amp sounds like! Ps. don't mind my player lol. I'm using a cheap Peavy speaker as a test speaker so I don't get a lot of bass. I need some recommendations for 15' 100-watt speakers if anyone's got ideas. Under $120, please!

Liam S

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 11:35:13

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next