Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Talk me out of an American Professional Jazzmaster?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Thanks Ed! And thanks for your help via PM. Listening to some of your playing on YouTube is what pushed me over the edge to get a JM.

Thanks you once again for your very kind words. I've been a Jazzmaster fan for a long long time. They aren't for everyone, but those of us who understand and appreciate their uniqueness are a tight fraternity.

Welcome aboard.

If you have any technical questions, don't hesitate to chase me down.

Best Reverbs,

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Alright everybody, I finally got a little video/sound sample of the Squier JM. I guess social distancing has a payoff...

Be warned, I'm no professional recording artist... or actor... or model... but hopefully you'll enjoy anyway.

Bravo! Great sound! Right on!

Chris_in_Idaho wrote:

Alright everybody, I finally got a little video/sound sample of the Squier JM. I guess social distancing has a payoff...

Be warned, I'm no professional recording artist... or actor... or model... but hopefully you'll enjoy anyway.

I'm a blue stingray fan too!
I think you did a fine job of capturing the feel of the song.
I agree with you that the pickups sound brighter than those of an '62 American vintage reissue.
But all the Jazzmaster offered by fender are different in configuration and pickups.
So my question is,,,
Do you like it? And how does it play?
Joel

I give the new guitar and your video ten thumbs up. I've always had ten thumbs and they come in handy at times like this. I too am a big Blue Stingrays fan.

Many congrats and keep it up!

Best Reverbs,

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Sounds great, man (both the guitar and the playing)

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Fine work by you.

Congratulations of the new guitar, and on the great video, Chris! (And you don't look at all pissed-off to me.)

Bob

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 15:21:18

I should've bought 3 of those squiers for what I paid for my Jazzy. You could've saved me a lot of hard earned $$ had you posted this a year ago Chris. Stir the Pot

"Here's to the man who drinks dark ale and goes to bed quite mellow. He lives as he ought to live and dies a jolly good fellow"

Very well done. Guitar sounds great, and I like it in red.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Chris_in_Idaho wrote:

I'll probably swap the pickguard and pickup covers...

The guitar comes with the same pickups as the JMJM. A lot of people like them a lot but they are P90's under Jazzmaster pickup covers and not Jazzmaster pickups.
It's a completely different pickup design. (bar magnets + screws vs magnetic polepieces)

Another Blue Stingray's fan here, that was a beautifully done job on Surfer's Life and on the video.

I am a P90 fan, they tend work very well with a Deluxe Reverb. IMO your tone was awesome on that song, Mike Campbell would be impressed!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Get a custom shop jazzmaster Wink

Thanks so much everyone for your encouraging responses! Sorry it's taken me so long to finally reply (most of my time is spent stopping my 3 and 6 year old sons from killing each other out of cabin fever).

As to how the guitar plays, everything is awesome except the bridge. The neck feels wonderful, the angled neck pocket sticks the strings and bridge out away from the body just a bit (particularly nice for me being so used to the Les Paul), and the body is comfy against my body. The vibrato makes click/creaky noises, but none of that comes across through the amp. The bridge is a tune-o-matic style, and that in itself is no problem, except it's kind of a crappy example of a tune-o-matic. The D and G saddles are loose and rattly/buzzy. When you play the guitar unplugged it sounds horrible from all the noise coming out of the bridge. Again, when it's plugged in most of that is gone, but single notes on the D and G strings come across weak and choked. I attribute this to the saddles rattling and absorbing the energy from the string. Very hard to get a nice clean attack on those strings, and if I try too let them sustain I hear weird overtones.

As my first Jazzmaster experience I can call it a big success in that I now know I enjoy and can comfortably play a Jazzmaster. That being said, I probably won't hang on to this particular example too long.

I'm torn between swapping the bridge and pickups, or just selling it and saving up for a nicer one (maybe that American Pro I was initially asking about...).
I did establish that I personally wouldn't miss the rhythm circuit. Every time I start thinking the rhythm circuit sounded pretty good, I'd switch down to the lead circuit on the neck pickup and it was even better.

I use my rhythm selector as a kill switch. The mastery bridge is pretty cool but I just ordered a stay trem because I like the tone better with a rocking bridge.

Old thread! I was prepared to talk you outta buying it! Big Grin

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Goto Page: Previous 1 2