Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Talk me out of an American Professional Jazzmaster?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while and haven't really posted. My only guitar for the last 15 years has been my Les Paul. It's time to add something different, something surfy with a good trem, and I've settled on the sound of the Jazzmaster.

Here's the thing. I'm totally enamored with Candy Apple Red (I know, I have uncultured simple tastes... I probably like Free Bird too...). That seems to limit my options to a used Squier VM, a Fender American Performer, or a Fender American Professional. The American Performer has a Strat trem, so it's out. The American Professional isn't in my immediate price range, but if one is worth it then I could sell a few things to make it happen. The non standard switch placement is the same as my Les Paul, so while that might annoy most of you it won't bother me.
I know it lacks the rhythm circuit, is that important?
I've read it has overwound pickups, I'm quite a diy tinkerer, so if I need to swap in some AV 65 pickups I'll use the opportunity to make a comparison video for my YouTube channel.

So, are there any other glaring issues with it? Are the necks weird? Bridge issues? Will I be shunned for lack of rhythm circuit?

While we're on the subject, I'd welcome feedback on the Squier VM as well.

Thanks!

Oh, also I did search but all I found was an announcement when they first came out and another thread discussing the bridge string spacing. If there's a review thread I missed and this is a duplicate then I apologize.

About a year ago I bought one of the limited edition pine body American Professional Jazzmasters, mostly because I loved the look and my favorite mom & pop music store that had mine dropped the price to a level I couldn't refuse. Evidently, 100+ year-old reclaimed pine guitar bodies are an acquired taste.

To keep this post simple, the bottom line is that I like it better than the first-run 1999 American Vintage Jazzmaster I've had for nearly 21 years and the others that have come and gone including a '61, two'65's and a Custom Shop '63.

Why?

1.) The pickups are great! More aggressive than my AVRI but it still sounds like a Jazzmaster. It came with roundwound strings which I now prefer over flats as I prefer more "bite" these days.

2.) No "rhythm" circuit. I never liked the way it sounds

3.) The perfect neck profile (for me, anyway)

4.) The Mustang-ish bridge is very stable and surprisingly, it intonates perfectly

5.) Less expensive than the American Original series

6.) The pine bodied LE version looks cool as hell with its black anodized pickguard and tiger striped maple fretboard

If there is a music store in your area that has an American Pro Jazzmaster in stock, try it out with an amp similar to what you will be playing through to determine if the sound and playability suits your needs. We all have different tastes in guitars, pickups, strings, amps and music styles so it is a good idea to try what you buy instead of buying online whenever possible.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

BTW, I am also a fan of Candy Apple Red on a Fender guitar....

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Thanks for the feedback, and that Jaguar is gorgeous!

No matter what anyone says, you do not need the rhythm circuit. Some will say it is useful but I've never seen anyone use it. I totally bypassed it when I rewired my Jaguar where I copied Dave Wronski's Jaguar wiring, don't need it.

Is there something unique/special about the sound of the rhythm circuit, or can I just roll down the tone knob on the neck pickup and get the same thing?

I have no specific comment about either model. But in general: if not certain whether the Jazzmaster is the guitar for you (as in playability, since you already settles on the sound), then I'd go for the Squier. It's a cheap way of getting to know the Jazzmaster and whether it works for you. It's also a good way to find out whether the rhythm circuit is something you'd miss if it wasn't there.

I did something similar. I bought a Squier VM Bass VI first to see if it fits me. And when it turned out it did I bought a Fender.
Then again, if you're already pretty sure about the fit and you have the money, I'd say go for the Fender. It'll hold its value better than the Squier.

Surfin’ Europe - Surf gigs in Europe
The Malbehavers – Instrumental Surf Music from Tilburg (NL)

Welcome Chris,
Squier no longer makes the vintage modified, they now have them as the classic vibe series.
The VM is great if you want to go mod crazy. I have the jazzmaster and jag both fitted with av65 pups. Both have staytrem bridges too as the stock ones buzzed and rattled no matter how much I tweaked and applied loctite. I also replaced the pots and wiring in both.
Search out a shop with American professional and see if it's what you want and if they don't have the color you want you can order online or have the shop order it.
My Squier Jag is CAR and wants to be just like Woody's when it grows up!

I have a Vintage Modified version that came with an upgraded lock button vibrato and some custom wound pickups in it and I feel like I'm probably getting as full a Jazzmaster experience as anyone else, since it has the exact same stuff on it that they've always had.

My recommendation is to go that route. Just find a used VM for cheap. It's such a quirky guitar that I feel it's best to embrace it in its true form. I didn't love it at first--not at all--but I've grown to absolutely treasure the sound it makes. There's nothing like it. And I've recorded with the rhythm circuit, too! You want Woman Tone, well there you go. It is different than the regular circuit rolled down because it uses different caps in conjunction with the different pots.

Last edited: Jan 08, 2020 23:37:24

Chris_in_Idaho wrote:

Is there something unique/special about the sound of the rhythm circuit, or can I just roll down the tone knob on the neck pickup and get the same thing?

I couldn't give you a technical reason, but they're not the same. At a similar tone setting the rhythm circuit is louder and more "notched" sounding. It's great for jazz or for use with heavy fuzz. Maybe not so valuable for surf.

Chris, I have a reissue "vintage" Jazzmaster. I've found that you can come very close to the rhythm circuit sound by selecting the neck p/u and adjusting the tone and volume. Not exactly maybe, but close enough. I play mostly lead on the JM bu on occasion find the circuit useful to , strangely enough, switch to playing rhythm. But 95% of the time I play on the normal circuit with both volume and tone wide open. The additional circuit does allow you to instantly go from full to zero volume - set the rhythm circuit volume to zero and regular circuit volume to full, play something and let it sustain, while switching between circuits. Can give you an effect like the guitar in "Spirit in the Sky".

Hey, man...what the heck's wrong with you?! What are you, crazy? Don't buy an American Professional Jazzmaster!

(That was easy.)

SSIV

It has thick ankles.

I played one and I have to say I was underwhelmed for the price. The string spacing is definitely too wide and both E strings are unusably close to the edges of the board. I didn't find the fretwork to be all that impressive for a $1,500 guitar. I like the maple board just for feel, and I liked the sound. It has a nice beefier carve, but it has a satin finish on the back of the neck. Honestly, I'm not a fan of that for whatever weird reason. I played the mystic seafoam, and it's easily my favorite guitar color ever. What I ended up getting instead was one of the new MIJ floral jazzmasters, and I love it. Exactly what I wanted. And I actually do use the rhythm circuit on both it and my jag when I do solo shows. I use it to play rhythm when I sing.

Obviously, this is just my opinion. I really wanted to like it more but I didn't like it $1,500 worth.

I want less sustain. My notes are so tortured it seems only humane to let them die as quickly as possible.

I'm aware that musicians run their lives with emotion, not logic. If it's out of your price range and it will cause you problems, this discussion should be over. When you have enough money to do what you want, then other's experiences are very valuable. I've had many hobbies in my life. The one statement that I have repeated has been: if you spend more money than you should, you will be come dissatisfied with that hobby". Proceed with caution. Smile

I have an AVRI and a coworker has a Professional. Both are great though very different in feel and function, the Pro being more of a hot-rodded right out of the box type of thing.
I say go for it if it feels good in your hands, sounds good to your ears, and works for your budget.

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to go Squier for my first jump into the offset world. I just bought this on Reverb: Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster 2016 https://reverb.com/item/30339730-squier-deluxe-jazzmaster-2016?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=30339730. Last week I was in Boise for a work conference and my hotel was pretty close to guitar center. We don't have any good guitar shops here locally so I took advantage. They had two Jazzmasters, one had humbuckers and the other was a Squier J Mascis. The Mascis played and sounded great (first Jazzmaster I've played). My understanding is these "Deluxe" ones are the same guitar just without the signature and in Red. I'll probably swap the pickguard and pickup covers...
I'll report back when it arrives.

Well done! Those are really nice, and I believe they are the same as the J Mascis. Squier makes such amazing instruments now.

I want less sustain. My notes are so tortured it seems only humane to let them die as quickly as possible.

Here's a pic

Nice score Chris. My first Jazzmaster was Candy Apple Red.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next