Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink The Driptones first single "Late Night Surf"

Page 1 of 1

Hi guys, we are releasing our first original song. Since it is difficult for all four of us to get together and record, I did everything myself. Constructive criticism is more than welcome.

This is my first time writing, producing, mixing, and everything else that goes along with creating a track. We really hope you guys like it. Thank you for your time.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: May 11, 2020 12:57:42

I think you did very well for your first attempt at full on everything. Good job!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Thank you for the kind words, stratdancer. I know I have a long way to go, but luckily I only do this as a hobby. I will keep making tweaks and edits as I learn more. Smile

Cool

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I like the dreamy quality of the song, and the guitars are great in terms of sound and mixing.

I do have two suggestions. First, the drums could use some more fills to make things more interesting. Second, I think the bass sound needs to be tweaked a good bit. Admittedly, I need to listen to this through headphones or much better speakers, but the bass didn't sound full enough or powerful enough to carry the low end of the song.

I love the name of the band and the song. I tend to think Edward made some valid points. (Caveat, I'm listening through markedly crappy laptop speakers - if you can sound good through those, you're on to something). You're on to something here. Bravo! Agree Groovy Guitar Headbang

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Thank you for the feedback, edwardsand and montereyjack66. I couldn't agree with you guys more about the drums needing more fills, etc... Programming the drums was a challenge, but I will continue to improve and hopefully it will make the song sound better.

As far as the bass, I can definitely make it sound fuller and more powerful. I will say, listening through some high quality headphones, the bass does sound much, much better than listening through an iPhone or a laptop. Having said that, I will definitely make some changes to it this weekend.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback. This is exactly what I needed to improve and make our song internet radio playable!

I still need to listen using good speakers or headphones, but one bit of advice I've tried to follow is to listen to your mix in a number of different settings, like in the car, on your phone, through your good stereo, on your laptop, etc. It may sound great on your studio computer speakers or headphones, but those other set-ups may highlight something you should tweak.

And I agree making interesting drum tracks is not easy, especially if you are a guitarist trying to do all the parts yourself. I usually do midi drum tracks and have started using fill loops from packs I've purchased or downloaded. You can program the basic beat and then throw in some good fills here and there for chord changes and transitions.

^ Yeah drum tracks are a pain, it took me like three days making one drum backing track. Even then not perfect yet, its hard to find drum pattern combinations that will groove or match up with the rhythm of the song. That takes a while too find.

Not bad for a first stab at recording. Cool I hear the surf beat.

The drums could be louder, instrumental surf always featured the drum kit big in the mix. I couldn't hear the bass either if there is one. Could boost both up in the mix to me

Reminds me of Bullwinkle or some song like that. Sounds like a D minor key type surf song with the root note on the A string at 5th fret etc.... lots of surf songs like that. Nice job. Recording is hard to do.

Last edited: Jan 03, 2020 18:06:19

Bullwinkle Pt 3?

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

More great comments and advice from you guys. I did listen to it on other devices, and I definitely needed to make some tweaks. Also, I added the bass to both channels, and made it sound much louder and fuller.

I also raised the volume on the drums. I will work more on the drum pattern as soon as I get some free time. I am happy to make more adjustments if you guys think I need to.

You guys are right, it does kind of have a Bullwinkle vibe. However, I hope it has a good deal of originality to it, as I put a lot of thought into the lead, bridge, etc... Thanks again!

I like it! Nice "moody" guitar tone. Good job sir!

Either you surf, or you fight.

Thank you, imafunkyman!

Sound familiar to me.
Please tell me what chords you are initially playing.

Ok my above post sounded harsh.
I appoligise.
Sorry I didn't mean to be derogatory toward your efforts of song writing.

the chord progression sounded like a song I had heard before, and that is common in music now days.
Mea culpa.

Hi Joelman, I didn't take what you wrote in a bad way at all. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to it. Let's face it, the song is very basic, and the mixing is mediocre at best. The chords are A minor, D minor, and E minor.

Some people IRL have not been as polite and/or constructive as everyone has been on this forum. I appreciate all the comments in this thread, and will definitely try to do better on my next song.

"SixStringSurfer wrote:

Hi Joelman, I didn't take what you wrote in a bad way at all. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to it. Let's face it, the song is very basic, and the mixing is mediocre at best. The chords are A minor, D minor, and E minor.

Some people IRL have not been as polite and/or constructive as everyone has been on this forum. I appreciate all the comments in this thread, and will definitely try to do better on my next song."

First please let me say I liked you song. For doing it all by yourself I say bravo! It's an big effort to produce , play, record, filter, and publish a song all by yourself.

Second as a critic of it I would humbley suggest nothing,,,,but doing it again with another song. The more you do it the better you will be.

As for myself. I'm 70 yrs old. I've heard a lot of music. Everything sounds familiar. And my productions in the last three yearly comps that I've offered here are nothing to brag about either. Just an old man in his bedroom at a computer trying to be young again.

I've recently learned of the method of reversing the structure of a song to achieve a new song. It seemed like stealing to me, but upon though. I think. Why not? It's all just audio mathematics anyway.

Don't get slowed down by old men trying to be experts. Keep making your music. I'll be happy to listen to it. Believe me I've heard a whole lot worse than your song. At least your sounds like surf.

Joel

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 11:25:30

Interesting idea about reversing the structure! Anyway, your last sentience really resonated with me. I am listening to a certain surf rock radio station right now, and the music is absolutely not surf! I don't want to spark a debate, that is just my honest opinion. Almost sounds like heavy metal or alt rock. Anyway, I would love to hear some of your stuff sometime, Joelman. Take care. Smile

Really didn't want to selfishly bump this thread, but I couldn't help it. Joe from The Eliminators e-mailed me a few days ago, and said he really liked "Late Night Surf." His exact words were "nice tune, very surfy and cool." That really made my week!

Speaking of which, it has been a rough couple of weeks for me as I caught the virus. I was rushed to the emergency room because I couldn't breath, and had a slew of other symptoms. Anyway, that's another topic for another thread. Hope everybody is well!

I just wanted to give a big thank you to ldk (Lee) for doing a great job playing bass on all three of our songs. His bass playing on "Late Night Surf" has received a lot of compliments. Thanks again for taking the time to help us out!

Page 1 of 1