Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Roy Buchannan Plays "Walk Don't run"

Page 1 of 1

Roy Buchannan was a good as any guitarist that I've ever heard or seen. He was most known for his blues and country leanings, but he would occasional-ly play a surf-ish instrumental. I saw him play "Telstar" once or twice, and then there is "Walk Don't Run". Here's a video of Roy playing "Walk Don't Run" on Rockpalast, in Germany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc6ePrq-7Ts&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR31-z3LDO2hdokjJtPkvo3PgCKyV36QBEq27JVowHbGGTU43gD1A8zCsok

Bob

Good ol' Roy. And he's even smiling while he plays it. You don't see that too often with him.

So blessed that I got to see him on a double bill with Robin Trower in the mid '80's...frillin mad skills and feel....RIP RB.

Can I have everything louder than everything else!

https://thesurfaces1.bandcamp.com/releases

He played 'Peter Gunn" when I saw him live...also heard him do a mean "Green Onions" live, too... screaming Telecaster madness!

Yeah Roy had some chops I'll say that and on a Telecaster no less.

There is a fine line between the Blues, Country and Surf. Each has its own expectations but sharing the same type of scale runs etc. Many Country style players like to play Instrumental Surf and Ventures style music because of that.

Its a shame Roy hung himself in the slammer after being arrested for disorderly conduct while being drunk etc . . . Supposedly used his shirt to do it, many friends said that was suspicious though.

He had a good version of a Cream song too below.

I don't recognize the neck he has on this Telly, the body looks like a 50's but the neck is either a replacement or a different manufacture ...dunno anybody know?

Roy jammed with Albert Collins and Lonnie Mack back in the day too, sample in the bottom video. RIP all

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020 02:10:08

Thats for sharing the videos, Surfin' Sam! I had never seen Roy play "Sunshine of Your Love", and had never seen him using that model of guitar. After the Carnegie Hall show in the 2nd video, Roy did a tour, called "The Great American Guitar Assault" with Lonnie Mack, and with Dicky Betts replacing Albert Collins. I saw the show in L.A., and it was epic.

Towards the end of his career Roy experimented with guitars other than his beloved Telecasters. In the late 70's he recorded with a Les Paul, but ended up going back to Telecasters. In the mid 80's I saw him do one tour with a Strat. The next time I saw him, he was back to a Telecaster. I had the good fortune of talking to him that night, and when I asked him about the strat used on the previous tour, he said that he liked it, but it just didn't "cut" like the Tele and give him the tone that he wanted. The guitar, in the first video, about which you asked, is a Bill Laurence RB II, which was made specifically for him, and used by Roy briefly in the late 80's. After the Bill Lawrence RB II, he started using Fritz Brothers Bluesmaster signature models, and used them until he died.

Bob

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020 15:37:40

He was a special player. There are some epic threads on the TDPRI, the Telecaster forum about Roy. Pickup winder Don Mare has practically done a doctoral dissertation on his #1 Tele (Nancy) and offers a set replicating his findings.

Spoiler alert - the pickups in Nancy were very microphonic and he used an unusual wiring setup. Roy reportedly used to wrap that guitar in a towel and throw it in his car in his early days.

Page 1 of 1