Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Advice for Oud Players

Page 1 of 1

This is a help video by a guy who gets amazing tremolo picking speed.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Cool post, thanks! That instrument has such a gnarly and awesome raw tone! I wonder if anyone's ever put a pickup on one? I didn't know what it was called but I've listened to a lot of Middle Eastern and Indian music that had it. So much cooler than a regular old acoustic! And then there's the aesthetics.

Great advice about getting comfortable, and I love that pick thing! Reesha? I play tremolo picking with almost the exact same wrist movement, which is due to how low I have to play. But I add a lot of bigger arm muscles since I'm standing. And of course holding a regular 5.4mm V pick.

I don't see how tiny wrist muscles can hold that up for extended periods when you're sitting down. Unless you're using the classical style. I'm talking about tremolo and surf style. I took some lessons from John Rankin over the Summer and he was all about using your whole arm to pick and strum, avoiding the tiny muscles as much as possible. So I started putting in the bigger arm muscles and just accenting with little finger and wrist muscles and that did it - now it's way more comfortable to do tremolo picking, and FAST.

Daniel Deathtide

I know what you mean. When standing I do tremolo from the shoulder down, too. But that whole arm mass can only move so fast back and forth. I think his technique results in a tremolo that’s several notches faster.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

DeathTide wrote:

Cool post, thanks! That instrument has such a gnarly and awesome raw tone! I wonder if anyone's ever put a pickup on one?

I've never seen an oud with a pickup, the closest things have been these:

1- Lu Edmonds when he was with PiL

2- The Godin GLissentar

3- Niladri Kumar and his "Zitar", an electric sitar he created

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

Last edited: Dec 05, 2019 20:21:29

MichaelK7 wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

Cool post, thanks! That instrument has such a gnarly and awesome raw tone! I wonder if anyone's ever put a pickup on one?

I've never seen an oud with a pickup, the closest things have been these:

Cool! I had not seen these, that last fellow with the sitar... well I've never heard a sitar like that! Sounded just like a les paul or something. I did NOT see much tremolo picking tho...

The Wedding Present did an album with their pals The Ukrainians and there is some mighty cool tremolo picking in that! Might even be an oud in there. I don't know what these instruments are.

Daniel Deathtide

Page 1 of 1