Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink What Tunes of Current Surf Bands Do You Cover In Your Live Sets?

Page 1 of 1

I was talking with some other surf band friends about set lists. When the Crowkeepers were playing, apart from Shoot the Pier tunes we occasionally played Pearl Divin, Glider and Wrong Turn by the Bambis (which I got permission from Dalibor), Cherry Cheeks by El Ray and Dilation by Satan's Pilgrims (which we didn't ask... sorry guys). BUT, we did always mention the artists before or after the tunes. We rarely, if ever, played any of the classics.

So, what current surf band tunes are you covering in your live sets? And, is it cool to play their tunes without asking, if you give credit before or after the tune?

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

On occasion we cover the “modern” pieces:

Kawanga - Los Straitjackets
Rampage - Los Straitjackets/ Planet Rockers
Street Cleaner - Eddie Angel
Dreaming. - Blondie

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

We used to do "Twitchin'" by the Torquays (but more in the vein of Jon & the Nightriders) and a super slow version of "Super Stock" by Satan's Pilgrims, but we rarely play any cover songs nowadays.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

We did
Exolumina and Tsunami Tsurprise by Space Cossacks
Tunisian Moon and Return of the Space Cossack by Los Twang! Marvels

Right now we have a doing
Surfing St-Helens by the Volcanoes
Taste of Bikini by the Kilaueas

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

the Tentakills often play a couple Astroglides tunes. We do their version of Guitar Cha Cha (played more often when we have a trumpet player with us for the night) and we also play around with Turkish Delight, with expressed written consent from Lee-or.

The Seatopians sometimes do "Checkmate 100" by The Kilaueas and "Ricochet" by The Madeira.

-John

The Seatopians 2017-
The Seatopians on bandcamp

We do: Night of the Living Surf by the 427's

Can I have everything louder than everything else!

https://thesurfaces1.bandcamp.com/releases

I applaud bands who play modern surf songs!!! First thing you should know- you don't need to ask a band if it's OK to play their songs in a live situation. So go ahead and do it! Believe me, they would be honored!
My various bands have played songs by The Surf Coasters, Surfer Joe, Los Straitjackets, Aqua Velvets, Mermen and more.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 18:01:23

I love seeing the songs listed in the posts above. From a fan's perspective, I like hearing unusual covers, and I love hearing covers of the songs of modern surf surf bands. As much as I love the classics, I don't want to hear countless covers of songs like "Pipeline", "Walk Don't Run", "Mr. Moto", "Wipe Out", and the like, unless they're turned inside-out, and arranged very creatively. I like it when surf bands take non-surf tunes, and creatively tune them into surf songs. A good example is the Surfragettes, and what they did with "I Had Too Much to Cream Last Night", "In a Gadda Da Vida"/"Sunshine of Your Love", and other tunes. Most of all, I respect and admire the surf bands that predominantly play their own originals.

Bob

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 18:07:12

How about Slacktone's - Longboard Legato anybody take a stab at that one?

Still trying to figure out to get that 12 string sound on a Jaguar, anybody know what pedal that is?

It's not a pedal...

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

What ever it is it sounds totally cool, I never get tired of listening to this song.

He's looking down at a pedal board at the end of the song, So he has something in the pipeline. Its got to be more than just technique and tank etc. Sounds like a octave pedal to me - dunno Still trying to find info

Edit, ok I think its Mutron Octave Divder

Theres no Tank reverb on the bottom video below, but dry it sounds a little bit like Dave Wronski's sound without a tank to me - not sure?

But he definitely has a pedal board in the loop.

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 19:30:12

Watch the video that Simon provided, Sam, at about the 3:50 mark. Dave explains it in detail. He's playing the same note on two strings, using a pick for the low string, and his 3rd finger to pick the high string, simultaneously.

Bob

Thanks Robbie, yeah I got to pick up that technique, thats a new one for me. He has pedals though for something. Still can find his pedal board info anywhere. Many players have a rundown somewhere. I got to try this song out, looks fun to play to me.

SurferBill wrote:

I was talking with some other surf band friends about set lists. When the Crowkeepers were playing, apart from Shoot the Pier tunes we occasionally played Pearl Divin, Glider and Wrong Turn by the Bambis (which I got permission from Dalibor), Cherry Cheeks by El Ray and Dilation by Satan's Pilgrims (which we didn't ask... sorry guys). BUT, we did always mention the artists before or after the tunes. We rarely, if ever, played any of the classics.

So, what current surf band tunes are you covering in your live sets? And, is it cool to play their tunes without asking, if you give credit before or after the tune?

This is a great idea - bands should cover all the best material just like all the old first wave bands did, they covered everybody and a few old tunes from years before Surf even started.

Does anyone have a list of all the best songs by all the newer wave bands or know of a thread with that info already to post or link here? I'm more into first wave bands, so not qualified to do that, but open to new material to learn at least.

To me SLACKTONE's - "Longboard Legato" should be a standard to cover by most bands. Covering songs this good would only promote the whole genre.

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 21:08:40

Dave generally sticks to delay, reverb, gain and some proprietary tonal devices. The octaves are all in his fingers.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Sam, he used to have his gear listed on his website, but it looks like he took it down. Danny is correct about the types of pedals that Dave uses. One other pedal that Dave has used is a Colorsound tremolo pedal (vintage pedal from a defunct company in the U.K.) If you e-mailed Dave through his website, or messaged him here, he'd probably get back to you, eventually. Dave pops-up on the forums, now and then. We're highjacking the thread here (sorry, everybody!). Sam, I just sent you a private message about the Slacktone amps.

Bob

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 21:46:17

Thanks - I check his site, no list now, even if I had his set up I would still sound like me Mad I tried the two note thing , more practice required lol/ yeah that is amazing he gets that 12 string sound using a chicken picking type technique like that. Like I said more practice required.

Back to cover new Surf songs by different band
If you have time to plow through 45 pages of like 1000 bands to find new material to cover check all these bands. many links to original surf.

World Surf Bands - Home page - Video Links
https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/31764/?page=1

There is so much to cover - I already have like 200 songs I forgot how to play already from the 1960's, many bands I posted on here I forgot already as well, but when I looked into them posting about them many had a lot of really good songs and song writing etc. (Do we need to even make more songs, just do covers from here out. lol

My theory is you have to do a few classics for the general public to identify with. If you add in all the best new stuff out there its in the hundreds of songs almost too much to cover by any one band. Even then if you have your own songs how much time do you have for others? I think its a good idea though covering anything you can pull off or feel like playing. Like I said this could be a big list.

PolloGuitar wrote:

I applaud bands who play modern surf songs!!! First thing you should know- you don't need to ask a band if it's OK to play their songs in a live situation. So go ahead and do it! Believe me, they would be honored!
My various bands have played songs by The Surf Coasters, Surfer Joe, Los Straitjackets, Aqua Velvets, Mermen and more.

I appreciate your thoughts! We tend to cover songs that have had a major impact on me and give depth and variety to our shows. I hope that the writers of Mr Lou, La Cazuela, Morgana, and several others are ok with us playing these incredible compositions.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Page 1 of 1