Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jaguar players! What do you think of Mustangs?

Page 1 of 1

So I'm in the market for a backup guitar for my Jaguar. I was probably going to go for another Jaguar, probably Vintera as I want the 60's specs. Never had a Mustang but seems to be really close to a Jaguar specs wise. What do you guys think of the Mustang for a Jaguar fan?

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

I've got a vintage Jaguar and a recent Mustang. The Mustang is a Squier VM with an Allparts neck, and I've switched out the pickups so it's closer to classic Fender Mustang specs. The biggest difference is the pickups - the Jaguar pickups are more full sounding, but the Mustang still has good tones in all positions and can sound quite surfy.

The vibrato (aka tremolo) is a bit different in feel, without as much string behind the bridge, but if you tweak it right, it plays well and the strings stay in tune. With a 24" neck and the same radius, playing feel is very similar to a Jaguar, though switching between pickups is not quick because of having those slider switches above the pickups (which is why some models come with 3 way switches, though that leaves out the out of phase option).

So overall, I really like my Mustang (though I'm going to mod it some more). It's lightweight and easy to sling around and I would happily use it as a backup guitar. Of course, other people will have different opinions.

Never owned a Mustang but played quite a few. Personally I've found Mustang pickups tend to sound much thinner than a Jag, the trem seems more fickle, and it might just be me but the bridge pickup selector switch interfered with my picking hand, though I'd imagine it's something I'd get used to if I spent more time with one. Always found the necks and body size very comfortable though.

Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

The Atom Jacks

Pierre,

you know I love Jags!
I owned two japanese Mustangs for years now, but I didn´t played them live very often... Because of the thinner sound and then some tuning/detuning problems...
Since a few weeks I own a 1965 daphne blue Fender Mustang.
It is a toootal difference to the japanese Mustangs!
I played this Mustang live last weekend. I really enjoyed the complete handling, feeling and especially the tone out of this great guitar.
(check my fb account for pics!)
Next weekend on two gigs I will play the Mustang again.
So the good Jaguar is my backup... Smile

My only answer can be: Get an original 1965 Fender Mustang. ( I can´t say anything about later years...)

cheers

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

One more: The trem systems of the old vintage Mustangs are working properly. Supersmooth trem working possible.
I always had problem with the japanese trem systems...

...there´s this new Fender "Vintera" series out. Maybe anyone has got experiences in surf music with those?

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019 10:47:48

As for the switches, the Squier VM Mustang has switches that do not stick out as much as the Fender switches - it makes them a bit harder to switch the pickups, but less likely that you will hit them while strumming. I'm thinking of adding a 3 way switch in the usual location and re-wiring the slider switches to do series/parallel as well as keep the out of phase option.

Thanks for the tips! If the Vintera Mustang sounds good I will try it! Wonder why they sound thinner than jaguars usually.

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

A lot of the sound has to do with how the pickups were wound. Mustangs were lower end guitars and had strat type pickups with a low number of windings and lower output compared to Jaguar pickups.

The good thing is that it is easy to switch out Mustang pickups for Strat pickups and you can find many options out there that would give you a fuller sound. In mine, I switched out the original pickups for a Tex-Mex bridge pickup and a current Fender Mustang neck pickup. The bridge pickup really gives it a Strat sound, and I also really like the neck sound, and together they get a great surfy tone. I don't really want it to sound exactly like my Jaguar, since I'd like each guitar to be distinctive, but it sounds good on all the settings and I would happily use it as a backup or even as the primary guitar for a gig.

Interesting. I'll have to try the Vintera ones when they are available. Could go either way: "We revoiced the pickups to be more ‘60s-accurate. They’re full of the articulate tone that made Fender instruments famous."

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019 09:11:33

Feel and tone can be good but I've never played one with vibrato that stayed in tune. I put a custom made hard tail bridge on mine. Better tone and no tuning issues but, of course, I miss the option of using vibrato!

My Mustang stays in tune rather well with adjusting the springs to the settings with the highest tension - and it's a Squier vibrato. Of course, the nut also makes a difference, and I put a Tusq nut on mine.

I have a MIJ Mustang that I picked up as a backup for my Jag! Getting it dialed in soon, and will be happy to play it vs the Strat that used to be my backup.

I put up a thread a while back asking a similar question. Consensus was that the Mustang's tone is a little thin for surf. Pickups and body weight/configuration. I just love the shape of the Mustang, and the weight. The body fits me well, and I love the neck. I have the Squier Bullet Mustang, with humbucks and hard-tail. Not surf-worthy. My daughters Fender Mustang is nice, I thought it could surf pretty well, but that's just MHO.
Some surf bands use them, I don't see why you couldn't....

el_camello wrote:

So I'm in the market for a backup guitar for my Jaguar. I was probably going to go for another Jaguar, probably Vintera as I want the 60's specs. Never had a Mustang but seems to be really close to a Jaguar specs wise. What do you guys think of the Mustang for a Jaguar fan?

If you play rhythm in a surf band the Jaguar is best for that. Its the only guitar that gives you that jangly chime sound you can get out of it.

You can by a real nice used Jaguar for a song if you search Ebay.

I have most of the knobs just past 12 O'clock on the amp and tank. The Jaguar have both volume and tone wide open to get a nice classic rhythm sound.

I found the pickups must be set real low away from the strings ort it will pickup frequencies and noise too much. That's the trick, even if the high E and B strings are set up right the pickups set to high will cause a lot of unwanted noise.

I agree with GuitarMuk's thoughts on the shape and weight of the Mustang. It looks good and is easy to sling around. Stock pickups can be thin sounding, but it's easy to replace them with two of any strat style pickups you desire - plenty of options out there for getting a thicker sound.

Why am I writing here?...
Sorry, but the Mustangs from 1965 are not thin sounding at all.
I have old and new ones, Japan and USA. Jags, Mustangs, Jazzmasters.
If you´ll get a new one or Japan, you will never be happy with it I believe.
A good Mustang is as versatile as a good Jaguar.

...I don´t speak about japanese crap, I speak about early-mid sixties guitars.
Don´t f++k around with all this crap and waste your worthful lifetime. Get an old one and be happy.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

Yeah Mustangs are Surflisous Cool

Kind of came out when Surf was starting to die off a bit, but many players used them in 1966 etc. I think Shockwave was recorded with one or at least it sounds like a Mustang to me. I have one coming in today, will try it out.

Jan Davis used one on Vertigo-go and Beach Bound etc... yeah must have for mid 60's surf tone.

Edit:

Yeah I have been playing this new Squire Mustang {Squier Classic Vibe '60s Mustang Electric Guitar - Vintage White )- it was used but looks brand new. Its the cream color body . Plays very good, sound great, definitely the best Squire I have, I bought a Squire Telecaster used too. it looks brand new as well.

**If I ever get out to play, I'm going to use his Squire Mustang - totally kicks ass of any guitar I got, will get another one soon sometime. Going to try out the Squire Bullet Mustang HH Limited Edition Electric Guitar Olympic White - has Humbucker style pickup - might give me some extra bite. Thinking of routering out body to put in a Mustang bridge - I like those better.

I'm thinking of buying one to have the body refinished at a auto shop sometime, - don't like the colors much they offer, but the Cream or antique white the have looks the best to me.

Really good sounding guitar**

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019 07:10:43

I used to have a vintage modified mustang. The stock pickups sound nice but not optimal for surf. Pretty weak, just throw in some decent strat pups under the blank covers. Or you could route it out for whatever pickups. I think the mustang vibrato is the best and the one on mine never went out of tune after heavy use. I also play more like Hank Marvin so the jag vibrato isn't the best for that of jiggly work. Handy little guitars worth trying for sure and as others have said late era surf groups used them.

Guitarist of The Sea Gees! A group I'm working on putting together, more to come.

I got a Squier Bullet Mustang with the plan to route it to put in a regular Mustang vibrato, only to find it has a thinner body than regular Mustangs.

On the other hand, I've changed the pickups on my Squier VM Mustang to a strat bridge pickup and standard Fender Mustang neck pickup and am happy with that combination. But of course, I can't leave things alone, so I'll be painting it a different color, adding a 3 way switch and modifying the existing switch setup for more options.

Page 1 of 1