Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
22 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
22 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Broken strings Vs technique...

Page 1 of 1

So.

Just home from a gig and (for the second gig in a row) broke 2 strings during the set. Had to cut the set short by 2 songs as we were supporting a touring band and had no time to change strings.

Our set ended with a whimper instead of the intended bang. I've identified the cause: palm muting on the bridge. Every time I restring I apply some Big Bends Nut Sauce there to lubricate, but I think my sweaty palms are corroding the other side and causing the snaps. It's always the bridge the strings are popping on.

Any advice on how to avoid this embarrassing situation? I'm immediately thinking some electrical tape over the bridge to protect it against the sweat, but I don't want to deaden the strings. Someone suggested talcum powder on my hands which would work I guess, but I don't like the idea of using it.

Definitely taking a spare guitar to the gigs we have lined up next month, but again I'd rather not have to lug around extra heavy gear for insurance.

Any tips (or 'life hacks' as known these days) appreciated.

Stainless steel strings!

Just curious, what kind of guitar and string brand and gauge are you using?

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Either an extra guitar or ask in advance if the guitarist in another band will make his available as a backup if you'll reciprocate.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

It's an MIM Fender Strat with Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's

Wait, this could be a fine opportunity to get a new guitar....:)

maximumsurfandroll wrote:

Easy one - don't use Ernie Ball.

maximumsurfandroll wrote:

When gigging, a backup guitar really is good idea if only for peace of mind. And "I need a backup!" is a great excuse to justify one. Cheers

Regarding what to do with your current setup, here is my suggestion that likely won't get a ton of support.....

I agree with crumble that the strings you are using could very well be the crux of your problem, especially if you are using light gauge ones like 9's.

A quality set of stainless or nickel 10's could very well solve your problem. 10's still bend easily and I've never broken a string in decades of playing guitar using 10's (or 11's or 12's) and my style can get pretty aggressive depending on the song.

My Strat(s) during the past few years have been wearing DR Pure Blues 10-46 roundwounds which are nickle strings and work very well for surf and other instro genres. I do not like flats on a Strat but that is a personal choice.

Also make sure that there are no strings catching on the nut slots as that can also result in a broken string. A nut lubricant is a must, IMO. I use graphite but there are several commercially available "nut sauces" out there.

I hope this helps!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Thanks all. It hadn't even occured to me to try a different material string. I'll give the stainless a go - I actually used DR Pure Blues a while ago, but they popped quite often too.

Keen to avoid a return to my 12 gauge Jaguar days Face Palm

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:49:50

I had a guitar that broke strings almost every gig. I had my local tech file off the tiny burrs in the bridge saddle that the strings had carved over time. I've read that you can smooth the burrs yourself by using very fine emery cloth.

A few years ago I commented how well modern strings are made. When I started playing in the early 1970 I tended to break them frequently (always at the bridge). I was asked what make of strings I used by a fellow called Zak. My local music store didn't have a great selection so I bought Ernie Ball mainly. Zak found that interesting as he once bought a box of them while on tour and most broke at the bridge. I shouldn't promote negativity after all it could have been a bad batch but I do tend to avoid E.B. strings.

We had a gig last weekend and I broke my D string during Squad Car. I was using D'addario flatwound 12's on a Jazzmaster and it broke right at the bridge.

Bringing a backup guitar is the key. I hopped off grabbed by backup and jumped right back in, the band never stopped.

Interestingly enough, when I got home and put a new D string on I played for a few minutes and the wound G broke right at the bridge also. We have only had outdoor, right in the sun gigs so I am liking the Heat Theory.

Side note, the Jazzmaster locking vibrato sure is handy!

I tend to break strings and would never do a gig without a backup tuned and ready to go. I carry two strats that have duplicate pickup configurations and sound almost virtually the same for this reason. Changing the strings frequently is a plus.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Since anyone who plays a Strat with typical Fender stamped steel saddles probably knows they suck, here's a nice alternative that improves on the functionality while retaining the primary characteristics.

Highwood steel saddles. No more shredding up the heel of your hand on those damned grub screws Fender sticks in there. And, I reckon, no small burrs anywhere that might tend to break strings.

Highwood Saddles

If strings chronically break on the same saddle - as mentioned by others here - it is possible that burrs on the contact point could be causing this. I have firsthand experience with this. Since using a needle file to smooth out the 2 saddles I had issues with, I have yet to break a string on those saddles (that is, 9 months later and regular practicing/gigging). A set of needle files is an investment. Easier, cheaper, and less hassle than replacing my saddles.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019 13:35:50

I have to change my strings every other gig. No string breakage and it gives me a stable sound.

https://soundcloud.com/elzeb

I had the same problem on strat type guitars until I changed to roller saddles. These roller saddles have brass rollers yet are just $5 per set (when bought from seller in China). Arrival in about 3 weeks. You can pay twice as much to get them in a week from US sellers on Ebay. I recommend these, I have installed them on four guitars. They have excellent sustain and they keep the guitar in tune after vibrato arm use, with much better sustain than "graphite" saddles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pcs-Metal-Guitar-Roller-Bridge-Saddles-for-Electric-Guitar-Bass-Tremolo-Bridge/143199414618?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=442132156432&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Hmm...recently some Ebay sellers offer the same for even less, e.g., $4.38 per set
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Roller-Bridge-Tremolo-Saddles-With-Wrench-For-Fender-Strat-Tele-Electric-Gu-OB/123840187863?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57921%26meid%3Dd28e6f08cc3b4f278cca18c8b1afa15c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D333268451386%26itm%3D123840187863%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Finally, some Ebay sellers claim their non-roller saddles are roller saddles. Before you buy check the photos...

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019 18:13:35

Another option would be to swap over saddles, move the offending saddle to a thicker string.

Woody mentioned binding top-nut. If binding and not allowing the tremolo unit to settle at zero floating point then all the weight and tension of the bridge would be on one string.. P'Twaaang!

Well, here's my tuppence worth!

I used to break strings when I first started gigging, but rarely break strings these days.

First question is how old are they? I usually put a new set on before a gig if they haven't been changed in the last month. I would say I change strings roughly once a month/six weeks if we're gigging often.

The sweat may have corroded the saddle rather than the string, causing a rough patch that may affect the string. You can check for rough spots or burrs with a pair of fine denier ladies tights - slide the material across the saddle - you'll know if it snags on anything. I'd be wary of filing anything as you'll take the chrome off and accelerate any corrosion. Swap the saddle with another or replace it.

As I understand it, there are only a couple of factories that make strings in the whole world, and it's just the packaging that's different. I can't comment on Ernie Balls as I've never used them. I typically use Fender 150s - pure nickel. Maybe it's the pure nickel that helps them last a bit longer? Whatever, they don't usually fail me at a gig. Personally I'd avoid stainless strings as they're much harder than your frets and can wear them out quicker.

I always carry spare strings, and can usually change one and tune up in a couple of minutes - usually it costs about a song. I play a Jazzmaster that is pretty easy to re-string, but a Stratocaster is a bit more of a fiddle. It's worth practicing though, it's amazing how fast you can be when adrenaline is pumping.

I once saw an acoustic artist sing an accapella song while he changed the string on his guitar. I was pretty iimpressed at that!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Page 1 of 1