Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Any idea what’s wrong with this 6g15 reissue?

Page 1 of 1

When I plug it in, there is a hum/buzz. And the reverb effect is quite low. I knock it around a couple times and all goes back to normal. However, when I knock it, I get a very unhealthy crackle (as seen in video below). I checked all rca and instrument cables as well as tubes. I poked around inside with a wooden spoon and didn’t really hear anything activate. Any ideas?

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

Maybe start with cleaning the RCA contacts? I did the same with my pedalboard and it cured a lot of problems.

Also check the connections on the pan's transformers.

Thee Original Beachniks...surf music from the caves of old Cape Cod!

The RI reverb units were made with terrible input and output jacks. It doesn't take much more than stepping on a cable to tweak one into a life of intermittent failures. I've had two of the RI units that the jacks became intermittent. On the first one I traded the unit. On the second one I replaced the MIC jacks with real Switchcraft PC board mount units, but that was not an easy job. However, once I made the modification, no more problems with that unit. My original '65 just keep on keeping on. No issues what so ever.

Ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:48:10

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:47:23

You might try removing the tubes and applying contact cleaner to the pins. Reinstall the tube and remove it a couple of times. Also you can spray some WD40 into a small container. Apply the WD40 to your finger and rub it on to the tube pins and reinstall the tube. Repeat a second time if needed.
It sounds like one of the tube pins is not making a good contact in the tube socket. Not an uncommon problem with tubes.
Dead Reverb

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 21:57:39

i have the same trouble last time i use mine
the sound become ridicously low and heard some crackle, i have sake it a little and then rework
for me it is bad contact with jack or tube only ,i will open it soon to see what s wrong but as i am not using a lot before (i use more my surfy bear for reharsale ,live gigs cause it weight less and i don't have to bring the converter),it could be dust or oxydation
thing you can do is to pull out tube and reput them and for the jack plug and un plug few times ,on mine i see also the controle crackle i turn the pot few time and it disappears ,i think it is a miss of use ,also the rca need to be look to see if they have no gap and have good contact

when i buy it used it have a hiss du to the 12at7 and swapping tube make me find the trouble ,if you have some spares tube it is not hard to try it and see if it resolve the trouble (i have some spare tube on my hand cause if it fail i would like to see if is just a tube fail before going to a tech ,tech is expensive and just for a swap of one tube not interresting !and also the travel for bring him the reverb and then he will says oh it is just your tube that fail)

on mine i have try to pull out the tube and reput in to check the pin ,but at first it is not that ,each time i sake it after the reverb disappears it come back ,i will open tomorrow and search for colder solder joint cause it make it when it is hot ,not at the beguin i play with it

find the trouble it is the tank who have a cold solder on a rca female ,works again great

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019 02:51:01

Page 1 of 1