Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Which tubes for a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue?

Page 1 of 1

Hi,

I have a Fender "65" Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and its tubes are getting old,
I'm about to change them but I would like to take this opportunity to upgrade this amp and/or getting closier to the original one.
A friend of mine advised me to ask to your community, he also told me that I should get an 12AU7 instead a 12AX7 for the first preamp stage.
Is there more tricks that I should know about tubes to upgrade this amp? Which tubes (brands, NOS, types…) would you get for it?

Thanks

I had a Reissue Deluxe Reverb I never changed the tubes BUT when I checked with Doug's Tubes he recommended the following.

Electro Harmonix 6V6GT's or the JAN Philips 6V6GT's.
For the preamp tubes, go with 2 x Mullard CV4004, 2 x EH 12AX7 and 2 x
JAN Philips 12AT7WC's
=========

Lot's of cats like the JJ 6V6, i tried those in my current Tweed Deluxe and the Deluxe Reverb (when i had it) and did not care for the JJs. They were a bit loud/agressive sounding to me not what I wanted a 6V6 to sound like. Good vintage RCA 6v6s are killer but for newer tubes the Ehx are great. I like Tung sols too.

removed dup post

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 15:01:53

I usually refer to fenderguru.com for upgrade advice. I don't always go with what they recommend, but it's a good baseline.

My tube amp guy also recommended matched GT tubes because they didn't need to be biased because they were always consistent. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Is there something wrong with the tubes? Does the amp not sound good?
Is there some indication that the tubes are going bad?

Put the crappy Russian/Chinese tubes in a box and save them for when you build an amp and need to bring it up. They sound bad after a month or so, but they are tough to destroy. Has to do with the plating - a trade secret that died when we stopped production of US tubes.

Look for reasonably price, tested or NOS tubes from RCA, Raytheon, GE, Westinghouse, Sylvania, Philips. These were all high quality in the 1960's through the 1980s, and never re-issued as Russian/Chinese. The last production of NOS military tubes for the Joint Army Navy (JAN) supply program were excellent quality and still quite affordable. They come in white boxes marked JAN 12AX7A/7025 with a DLA number indicating the date of manufacture, typically Sylvania, GE or Philips.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 02:14:13

Page 1 of 1