Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Help me choose a guitar

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Been playing jags for a long time. Love them, but am sick of messing with the bridges on them. Chasing rattles is old. For some reason I cannot get the rattles to go away when the guitar used to be silent.

So I’m looking for a new guitar, but I’ve never gotten along well with strats. What other type of guitar would be good for surf but also under 500?

I'll start. An Epiphone SG with split coils and a Bigsby. That's got a way different feel from a Strat and a Jag and new will come in under $500.

What don't you like about Strats? There are so many Strat-like guitars out there. Do you not like them all?

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Not sure exactly. I’d like to bond with one but just haven’t been able to.

The middle pickup can get in the way, but I think it’s the trem. It’s hard to find a smooth one compared to a jag trem.

I have a 66 sg jr with bigsby already that I use on occasion.

Not all the Stratocasters are the same. But the tail stock design it has is one of the best performance wise or any guitar with a similar design. Did you try the different models out there? (Different necks etc, Squire vs Fender etc) even country its manufactured makes a difference.

That being said, I would rather have a cheap guitar with a similar Stratocaster bridge type design and a top shelf amp and tank effects than the other way around. Surf is really all about amps and Tank reverb than guitars in reality. Any good basic Strat like guitar will work in reality.

We all have different size hands - so the neck size is a big consideration playing wise - maybe all you need to do is try out the different necks avalible on Strats etc

horax wrote:

... Love them, but am sick of messing with the bridges on them. Chasing rattles is old.

A Mastery bridge will fix that %100, and you can stay with what you love.

I can’t afford a 350.00 bridge on a guitar that ran 300

Sounds like a Squire Jaguar -

I have both Fender and Squire jaguars - The bridge saddles on the Indonesian made Squires are not as good as a real Fender USA or Japan saddles. The teeth on the Squire saddles are kind of rounded off where the Fender saddles are sharper and grab on the string better. (At least on mine.) So maybe that's the problem. The irony of it all is the Jaguar were designed to use flat wound strings so the teeth on there where used to bite into the string to hold it there etc. So wire rounds hold much better though on the original Fender type saddles.

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Sounds like a Squire Jaguar -

I have both Fender and Squire jaguars - The bridge saddles on the Indonesian made Squires are not as good as a real Fender USA or Japan saddles. The teeth on the Squire saddles are kind of rounded off where the Fender saddles are sharper and grab on the string better. (At least on mine.) So maybe that's the problem. The irony of it all is the Jaguar were designed to use flat wound strings so the teeth on there where used to bite into the string to hold it there etc. So wire rounds hold much better though on the original Fender type saddles.

I've been using flatwounds for years on my Squier VM Jags...this is my second.
I don't know why but only recently it started to start to buzz and rattle. I've tried every trick in the book that I can find. I swapped hte bridge to a mustang bridge but it STILL rattles around. Granted it's an adjustable bridge saddle, not the non adjustable vintage styled ones.

Oh, and I use 12's, as well.

Try raising the saddles up - if the high B and E string come anywhere close to the bridge frame it will raddle or buzz etc really all the string can do that if it touches the bridge frame anywhere.

The problem with a Mustang bridge is it kills the tone big time because there is too much string contact on the saddle, that's why the Fender Jaguar saddles have the ridges I'm talking about to lift the string up off the saddle (better tone) and hold the floating bridge in place (inotation) and allow the bridge to rock back an forth while using the wammy bar etc. It all works together.

edit: I forgot make sure the bridge is perfectly level to the pickguard, it doesn't matter how high up the jack screws are set (only that they are equally set ( bottom bridge must be level to the pickguard) or it will buzz even if the saddles are set right. You can't have the bridge on any kind of a angle all the way around

Last edited: Jul 08, 2019 09:46:04

is there an easy way to take hte bridge out completely for adjustments without removing the strings? I'think if I raise the saddles high enough to avoid the bridge body on the back side towards the tremolo, I might have to lower the bridge a bit to compensate.

If I stuck with the Mustang bridge, I'd have to definitely lower hte bridge as now the action is way too high to avoid buzzing from the bridge body.

You might be able to find a G&L Doheny for under $500. G&L claims that the G&L Dual-Fulcrum vibrato is an improvement over Leo's original design.

Here's a link about the vibrato:
https://glguitars.com/dual-fulcrum-vibrato/

An here's a link to the Doheny:

http://glguitars.com/product/doheny-2/

Regarding the Mastery bridge option, I can understand being hesitant to put a $350 bridge on a $300 guitar, but would it help if you thought of it as ending up with a $650 surf guitar in a form that you love versus a $500 one that might do? Just a stray thought that popped into my head.

Good luck with your search.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Yes just loosen the strings at the tuning heads enough to pull the bridge out (I do it all the time).

Like I said - be sure the bridge is perfectly level to the pickguard all the way around or the Jaguar will growl Cool

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Yes just loosen the strings at the tuning heads enough to pull the bridge out (I do it all the time).

Like I said - be sure the bridge is perfectly level to the pickguard all the way around or the Jaguar will growl Cool

Will try that this evening. I always keep everything 90 degrees to the plate...even the saddles have to be 90 degrees, no slanting. ;)

What if the sound from the bridge is on one string and is like a 'clunk' sound...any thoughts?

No, the saddles really only adjust intonation and the height of the strings off the bridge so your ok their (just don't have strings way out of whack height wise relative to one another.

Just be sure to keep the bridge perfectly level to the pickguard (both jack screws adjusted the same height) and that the bridge doesn't lean toward the neck or whammy (must be straight up and down while intonating etc.

I would get rid of the Mustang bridge as well and get a real Jaguar bridge. It should work better than.

The Mustang needed that bridge to make it sound better by lowering the tone being it was a cheap starter guitar and had a lot of highs etc...it doesn't work well on Jags.

horax wrote:

What if the sound from the bridge is on one string and is like a 'clunk' sound...any thoughts?

Your string is touching the bridge somewhere (front ridge or back on the bridge) Its basically muted like using your palm on the strings to deaden it etc

Great advices from Surfing_Sam_61.

The M1-KIT is $190 + shipping, certainly not $350. AVRI bridges are good too, for much cheaper, but will also demand some attention.

SilverFlash wrote:

...but would it help if you thought of it as ending up with a $650 surf guitar in a form that you love versus a $500 one that might do?

Absolutely!
If I had a Squire Jag that I loved, I know that it would become a mean machine with this upgrade (probably pickups too...) Much more important than the wood type, finish, etc. BTW, is the nut good?

Otherwise, if you just want a different flavor, G&L's are great quality, so are Reverend, don't skip on 2nd hand market finds, all depends on what excites you and you vibe with.

Last edited: Jul 08, 2019 10:20:32

The Mastery just turns your bridge into a rigid fixed saddle design with less-than-individual adjustment capabilities for intonation and height. If you want to drag your strings across fixed metal during bends you can just put a TOM on there for like 20 bucks. The smarter option, in my mind, would be a roller TOM. The only issue there is the radius mismatch but at least its functionality makes sense with a vibrato. But that could addressed with shims under the middle saddles on the right model.

One of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roller-Saddle-Locking-Tune-O-Matic-Chrome-Guitar-Bridge-for-Les-Paul-Guitar/283539952574?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D148c0cc5d51047da9978e1755789a1ef%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D303143831816%26itm%3D283539952574&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Ok, so I'm going to go back to the original bridge and tweak the setup as best I can. Hopefully I can get it to work correctly.

If I cannot, then I'll be looking into a Doheny and various strat options.

Hey...it worked for Dick Dale, right?

Not really, 'cause he broke his vibrato arm and then blocked the thing for 60 years...

Goto Page: 1 2 Next