Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Palm muting a strat

Page 1 of 1

How do you do this properly?
When I try, the volume knob gets in the way.

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:40:42

Good idea. Will have to try that

Also...we'll be back at the Rosie's Diner Car Show on July 28, and if you're able to stop by, I'll be happy to show you what I do when palm muting.

fenderfan wrote:

Also...we'll be back at the Rosie's Diner Car Show on July 28, and if you're able to stop by, I'll be happy to show you what I do when palm muting.

Cool...will see if I can stop by again!

fenderfan wrote:

Cool...will see if I can stop by again!

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:32:57

horax wrote:

How do you do this properly?
When I try, the volume knob gets in the way.

I replaced the volume knob with some thing much smaller (the "top" knob off a stacked knob setup). It makes a difference but isn't perfect.
I should probably move the pot.

Click here for Spira tunes

The Spiratones - Instro/Surf from the rain-soaked north-northwest of England

I have a Squier standard stratocaster that had a very low friction volume knob that I kept hitting. Any time I touched it, it would move and change the volume. I solved the problem, with a solution I found online, by pulling off the knob and then cutting a piece of packing foam to the diameter of the knob, punched a hole in the center and put it on the pot shaft under the knob. It will turn easy when I want to adjust my volume, but has enough friction to ignore incidental touches. It now stays put until I want to change the volume.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

I just raise my pinky above the volume knob when I am palm muting the higher strings on my strat. I never had to consciously think about it...it just evolved that way.

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Gilette wrote:

I use the palm mute on the low E to the G. For the higher strings I just don't bother because they're easily muted by lifting the fingers of the left hand.

Sorry, but I don't get it, can you explain this in more detail?

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

I just raise my pinky above the volume knob when I am palm muting the higher strings on my strat. I never had to consciously think about it...just evolved that way.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:40:26

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:40:15

Ah, thanks for the explanation!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

I came upon something the other day that might work for muting high strings. Hold your picking hand in a loose fist. Mute the strings with the skin on your pinky between the 1st and 2nd knuckles.

I'd have to practice this a lot to make it work well, but maybe it's worth a try.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Page 1 of 1