Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink social networks other than facebook?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I am looking for alternatives to facebook. I took a look at https://mewe.com/ but didn't find much surf instro content. The closest I found on there was a Tiki group.

What are people using for social networks other than here or facebook?

-Darren

Twitter? I use both to try to keep up on releases.

Myspace Big Grin

"Here's to the man who drinks dark ale and goes to bed quite mellow. He lives as he ought to live and dies a jolly good fellow"

Ive dabbled with Drooble before. Its no facebook but its a start

darrenk wrote:

I am looking for alternatives to facebook. I took a look at https://mewe.com/ but didn't find much surf instro content. The closest I found on there was a Tiki group.

What are people using for social networks other than here or facebook?

-Darren

I don't know of any as big though….even Facebooks not great.

Its a vital tool for any band don't get me wrong, but I call it Fakebook, because the numbers or hits bands get on there does not translate to real people at the door. I read somewhere that many people claim the numbers are made up by a matrix of data points. Like if I had a advertising link on my page and I click on your page, the numbers are averaged out and added to your views, (all the people that click on my advertising link) without even looking at your page. ( Its a connectivity matrix of funny numbers I don't understand really). But if a band had say 1200 like this or follow this hits and only 8 people show up at a gig on a regular basis (most are family and friends anyway), that's fake data to me. The whole social media is like that really just even for other businesses. But its still a good tool and usefull to let people know when the next gig is for real fans you have, but that's about all, just don't depend on it though for a whole PR operation.

Last edited: Jul 07, 2019 04:57:26

I keep meaning to quit an use Diaspora but it's hard to go someplace where you don't have any friends

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I'm not in a band or a musician but I understand why it is necessary for a band to be there. I know any alternative network will be sparse and not have anywhere near the people as facebook. I wanted to see if other people had made the jump already and if so what was out there. I'm looking for more privacy that was facebook provides.

-Darren

darrenk wrote:

I'm looking for more privacy that was facebook provides.
-Darren

Good for you.

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

Last edited: Jul 08, 2019 15:14:56

www.dripfeed.net

Sharawaji Records - UK Registered Record Label Dedicated To Surf, Instro, Reverb and Twang
DripFeed.net - the Network for Surf Music Join Now
Surf Rock Radio - the World’s Number 1 Surf Music Station
Surf Music Radio - the World's Number 2 Surf Music Station
Monstromental - Pulp Horror Instro Surf Radio

darrenk wrote:

I'm not in a band or a musician but I understand why it is necessary for a band to be there. I know any alternative network will be sparse and not have anywhere near the people as facebook. I wanted to see if other people had made the jump already and if so what was out there. I'm looking for more privacy that was facebook provides.

-Darren

I'm not in a band either or should I say "anymore"

I read a lot of books on band promo etc over the years and observed a lot how bands operate and all that jazz.

After cataloging most of the bands in the surf genre out there I pretty much talked my self out of starting a band or making a CD. I think the field is pretty well covered by now.

I don't think its a lack of exposure on the net much as there are so many bands (not just in surf) but across the board, any band can get lost out there in all the noise on the net. (That's my theory anyway)
There are so many good bands out there I couldn't choose who is better than the other. So to be moving from Facebook to another site or even having your own site might not give you any results.

My observation is every band should be on YouTube, that's s where the action is now. One mistake I see is bands just putting videos on their Facebook video page, (Big mistake). Get on YouTube and make playlists with your band and other bands. That's the biggest impact you can have. Cross linking your friends bands with yours on YouTube playlists or make a list of bands that get a lot of hits or plays on there. That's better than opening for a bigger band in my mind.

The idea is getting exposer or recognition for your band or music I think that's the best way now, more people watch YouTube than TV now/

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

My observation is every band should be on YouTube, that's s where the action is now. One mistake I see is bands just putting videos on their Facebook video page, (Big mistake). Get on YouTube and make playlists with your band and other bands. That's the biggest impact you can have. Cross linking your friends bands with yours on YouTube playlists or make a list of bands that get a lot of hits or plays on there. That's better than opening for a bigger band in my mind.

Gotta disagree. Facebook's algorithm treats youtube like garbage. I hate facebook's video platform but it's the only one you'll get much traction with if you share on facebook.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

Gotta disagree. Facebook's algorithm treats youtube like garbage. I hate facebook's video platform but it's the only one you'll get much traction with if you share on facebook.

Just do both then because more people go on YouTube everyday then any Facebook account.

The average band has about 400 likes - why because each band member probably has about 100 people they know, (Half are other musicians or bands usually). Might be easier to share video's but if no one really looks at it doesn't matter even on YouTube I've seen only 124 views for video's posted eight years before that, but I see that more on Facebook really.

I think most people think they will put up a account and have it go viral in no time, but that rarely actually happens and is more in line with lottery statistics then actual reality I think. Like I said look how many bands are doing the very same thing out there around the world. Really Facebook is only for local markets to be effective anyway. Mo one will travel very far to see any bar band unless its a side trip etc...That's rare.

That's why I think Facebook is a poor PR machine, it's just a tool and helps a little that's all

What I would like to know is how many Cd's are sold by the average Surf band. It use to be the average band in the 1990's sold only 126 Cd's (Which wouldn't even break even at that time and now CD sales have crashed through the floor in recent times. Has it dropped to 10 Cd's average now for all bands? - Most are probably downloads, but I've seen full albums on YouTube for free? And streaming has essentially taken over the whole industry now and even downloads declined big time.

I've known people that had like 3000 CD's made ten years ago and they still have boxes to get rid of.

Last edited: Jul 08, 2019 17:53:00

i've gotten sucked down the black hole of youtube many times and spent hours there and it all started with a link on Facebook.

www.surfintheeye.com

I once saw a chart comparing the use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Google+.
Facebook was several orders of magnitude above all the others put together, I was astounded at the difference.

Sadly though, Facebook is hopeless for music and always has been. Any music or band page gets converted to a business page and then you have to endure dumb messages like "Add your phone number so your customers can contact you". Do I want any of our fans to phone me?! No I don't. And neither would you, Mr Mark Zuckerberg.

Bandcamp is a great place for music, but there isn't much to their social media side.

Something to think about is different social media platform is different countries. For instance WhatsApp is massive in India and S. America, but here in the UK it's still used solely as a messaging app. Different countries have apps that are more or less popular. Facebook is about the only one that is universally popular. I'm starting to feel it's peaked though, with the security issues and it's emphasis on business. It's become much more tedious to use.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

What I would like to know is how many Cd's are sold by the average Surf band. It use to be the average band in the 1990's sold only 126 Cd's (Which wouldn't even break even at that time and now CD sales have crashed through the floor in recent times. Has it dropped to 10 Cd's average now for all bands? - Most are probably downloads, but I've seen full albums on YouTube for free? And streaming has essentially taken over the whole industry now and even downloads declined big time.

I've known people that had like 3000 CD's made ten years ago and they still have boxes to get rid of.

I can only speak from our own experience but it certainly hasn't been that dire. Our debut "Here Come The Delstroyers" EP CD sold out of the run of 200 we did long ago. Well, we found about 20 of those in a buried box recently to our surprise and we are bringing them on tour to the East Coast tomorrow but once those are gone, they are gone forever as no more will be printed, ever. Our full-length "Diabolical!" from Dec. 2017 has sold more than double that number of CDs and we have more of those CDs on order as we speak. Yes, perhaps though not as well as in the past, a good number of people are still buying CDs. As for the vinyl editions of "Diabolical!", the 50 limited red LPs sold out within about a week and the black vinyl pressings are almost gone too. We pressed 250 of those LPs in total. Our new 7" vinyl, "Resurrected", is selling well (there is no CD version of it at this time).

My question would be - why would you order 3,000 CDs to begin with? Sure, you get a bit of a discount when ordering larger quantities but that's a net loss if you don't actually sell them.

Putting your music on streaming services? The jury is out on that one but I certainly have my opinion now about it and it isn't rosy...

Facebook? I hate it and quit it months ago. However, it's a necessary evil for the band as there really isn't a better alternative unfortunately. I used to take care of the FB band stuff but thankfully our bass player does now! Thanks Lukas!!! Big Grin

Skins for The Delstroyers

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 11:50:12

Yeah that was pretty much my point, its hard to sell more than 120 Cd's for any average band. So for anyone to pump out 3000 is a pipe dream in most cases, being only five percent of the bands can do that. I know two bands that did print that many and still have most of them down their cellars in boxes. The Foo Fighters started a side project once and printed 14,000 CD's and albums etc. and still have them stacked up, so it can happen to anyone in music. I guess The Delstroyers are doing pretty good then selling above average. I saw your videos at SG101. Cool

I think music is a hard game anyway, and now with Katy Perry losing her court case on a micro element of music content on Dark Horse, it will be much harder now for song writers not to be sued. The funny thing is she didn't even write the song (had 6 writers). She had to pay 500 grand out of pocket and the label the rest of the 2.78 million. I guess on behalf of the 6 song writers. Of course Katy Kat could buy Flame a 100 times over, so its no big deal to her. Now everyone will have to worry about these type lawsuits who make big money with writing music.

Back to Facebook, yeah when it started bands got a lot of so called momentum, where local bar flies flew in to your local show, but now there are just too many bands on FB to really be effective anymore I think. Its like anything, when too many players are in the game, it gets harder not easier.

I'm not down too much on Facebook, every band should have one, but its just one tool to use with many others, It all adds up.

Yeah, I think you really get out what you put into it, especially when it comes to social media. Luckily my partner runs our merch at shows and she's an amazing, personable person. Do we make money doing this? Playing surf?? Haha, no. I remember our 2nd show was with Boss Martians and when they played Evan welcomed us on stage and said to the crowd "We have a new band playing surf in Seattle. Welcome to a life of obscurity!" Big Grin At best, it's about break even monetarily for us all told (rehearsal space rental, gear, recording costs, etc) but if you love the genre of music and playing it, who cares? Have fun, and put out some records along the way if you have the means to do so. Cheers

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 13:07:17

Beyonce's new album sold 940 copies in the UK, including digital sales.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Laughing obscurity! Smile Yeah I heard that before.

Don't feel bad people near me didn't even know who Dick Dale was.

Most people just do it for fun, you guys sound good keep up the good work.

Not to be too down on music, but I'm honestly thinking of selling everything I got musically being I hardly ever get around to play anymore. In my case I would make more selling everything then using it.

But its hard to make it in any business. But I have to admit Surf would probably be harder to make a go of it mainly because it's instrumental and has little hits on the radio to promote it etc. But you never know someday that might change. Whatever Maybe Cool

We sold a few in the UK haha and think that's pretty good relative to her considering she's easily 1000 times better looking and probably 10000 times harder working than we are. Yes

Goto Page: 1 2 Next