Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Made in USA Accutronics pan on the fritz - keep or toss?

Page 1 of 1

The Made in USA Accutronics pan in my Fender '63 Reverb reissue is only working intermittently; sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes is produces only the faintest reverb return (and some low level buzzing). I checked the solder joints and they look OK, so I'm guessing that maybe the transformers have a short?

Anyway, I went ahead and replaced the pan with a new Korean-made Accutronics, and all is well again. The new pan sounds a lot different from the old one. Not necessarily better or worse, just different; I'm still evaluating it.

Anyway... my question is, is there any reason to hang on to the old pan? It's not like there are any more Accutronics pans being made in the USA, so I'd hate to toss it if it's salvageable. Are these generally repairable?

Thee Original Beachniks...surf music from the caves of old Cape Cod!

Last edited: Jul 01, 2019 09:17:51

I thought there was a place that would fix the accutronics pans. (i don't recall) Sometimes a good amp tech can fix them too. You can search youtube too. Here are a few common issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMrH7WK_dws

It might be worth it to salvage the springs. You could try swapping them into the new one and see if you regain some of the original sound.

The new ones have goop on the spring hooks, though, so you'd have to clear that away. I've accomplished it with needle nose pliers.

Many thanks!

Thee Original Beachniks...surf music from the caves of old Cape Cod!

There's a guy in NE Indiana that repairs old Accutronics tanks using NOS parts, I'll see if I can't turn up his info.

on mine it was a cold solder to rca female ,the wire is cut and with moving doesn't make good contact,i will not put another pan ,or just an accutronic ,tad and mod are not my tastes

Same thing with my USA Accutronics. In my case I was guess working spring mounts on a home build and didn't leave enough clearance for the RCA plug. Somehow the contact inside the RCA socket got fractionally bent causing an intermittent signal. I used a jewelers eyepiece to view the workings inside the socket and carefully bent the contact back into position. I've had no issues ever since.

Page 1 of 1