Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Removing old non-original varnish

Page 1 of 1

I recently purchased a ‘66 or ‘67 Mosrite Ventures guitar in Ink Blue with what I’m pretty sure is a coat of non original varnish. I’m feeling pretty confident about this since the finish is uneven and in the right light you can see brush strokes going against the wood grain.
Has anyone here ever encountered something along these lines and successfully removed the layer without harming the original paint? I’m probably in a bad place since I’m not sure what the varnish is but it has yellowed with age. Probably better to just leave well enough alone but if it’s an easy fix i might go for it.
Thanks

llwalsh
If someone brushed clear coat onto a guitar that is very sad. You can try to carefully sand the varnish smooth, or remove it using wet dry. I would start with 600 grit and carefully sand with water until the brush strokes are smooth or you see color, then follow with 1000 grit 1500 grit and 2000 grit. After you will need to polish with polishing compound and a good carbauna auto wax. Be prepared to spend 15 to 20 hrs at least and don't cut corners. There are small sanding and polishing kits available at auto parts stores. A plug in hand drill will be needed for polishing. I just used this method refinishing my Jazz Master with good results. Check you tube for videos on refinishing guitars. You can pick up some useful information, but take it (as with anything on you tube) at face value. Hope this helps Confused Smile

Thanks! I really appreciate the reply and suggestions.

After I posted this i took the guitar to a luthier and we looked at it under a stronger shop lamp (he also suggested looking at it with a black light too) and he thinks it’s the original finish and what I thought were brush strokes might be very subtle checking. I’m going to hold off in the mean time and see what happens to the finish over the next year.

Being it is a real vintage Mosrite (and in a cool color) IMO, best to leave well enough alone. Just find a good, safe polish, cleaner, etc and clean it up.

Page 1 of 1