Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Mosrite of Classics Can Someone Tell Me More About them

Page 1 of 1

I once had a Mosrite of Classics but sold it on eBay to a buyer in Atlanta. When I had it I bought it off eBay from a seller who was a pawn shop in Indio (the desert here in So Cal). I recently was doing research on this site for info on Mosrite of Classics and saw a discussion from about I think 2010 and turned out the person asking about it eventually bought mine but from a pawn shop in Atlanta. I was surprised to see it. Reason why I am checking for info on The Classics version is because when I had mine I didn't care for it but on Guitar Center website they had one for sale but it looked different. Mine had no Mosrite emblem on the trem, maybe at the end but not the flat part for lack of better terms. The pickups were generic P90 like pickups. Okay single coil sound but not that great either. So when I looked at the GC web site that Classics had the right trem apparently and the right pickups. So I thought how is that the case because mine from the past had none of that. So I did some research on the web and saw a couple of Classics that had the right appointments. One was a Red, White and Blue model and another was I think white or pearl white metallic. So it's confusing that some have the right appointments and some don't.

I also read somewhere that the Classics were made in Japan but I also read that no, it was Ed Roman (Blah blah blah) that made them in Las Vegas. So there are so many conflicting things about the Classics I was wondering if any of you out there might have the definitive answer about this.

I was hoping that GC doesn't know what they are talking about and selling a Excellent version because those say California but in the photo at GC it's such a bad picture I can't tell what it says. But they might not be the most knowledgable people but they aren't blind, so it probably does say of Classics because why else would they sell it as so. But hopefully it says of California and they are wrong but I doubt it. But as long as it's a good guitar I'll be happy. I did buy it and they are shipping it to my local Guitar Center. They said that if it's not to my liking I can return it for full money back minus shipping. Shipping was about $25, so I could live with that in case it's not as good as I hoped it would be. By the way I hope some of you can help with this but if you don't know that's okay because I should receive it at the local GC by about Tuesday.

Oh this is the discussion way back from the member who asked about these and I actually replied all these years later telling some backstory on this particular guitar. At a later date he actually sold it.

The discussion I read I didn't really get a definitive answer of what the Classics are all about and why some have the right appointments and some don't.

One last thing I am not sure if they pawn shop that the member here bought it from actually bought it off me off eBay or they bought it from someone who bought it off eBay from me. I hope he replies and let's me know how much he paid. I'm really curious about that.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/12639/

Thanks

Last edited: May 18, 2019 02:06:22

I took a screen shot of it before I bought it but it's no longer listed. Here it is. I should have clicked on the headstock photo then saved it then zoom in to see if it says of Classics. I bet it does though why else would it be advertised as such. But looks like the appointments are there. It's supposed to b pearl white but looks yellowed. If may be yellowed or may be just the photo quality. I paid $1,000 after it dropped in price a couple times. At one point it was $1,2999.99 then it dropped to about $1,159 or something and then I checked and it was $999.99. I was tempted at $1,159 but thought if it doesn't sell anytime soon it will drop more and if it hits $1,000 it would be worth buying it and much to my delight this morning it said $999.99 so I had to try. I can always get my money back too if it's not what I think it is.

So here is the picture, not great but it is a picture -

Surf,
I am rather certain that Mosrite of Classics was the brainchild of the thankfully departed Ed Roman. He made them in his shop. I have not heard one ounce of praise for them (or him).
I met Ed Roman twice. The second meeting reinforced my first opinion - which was "Try not to do business with this guy". Ed claimed he legally owned the "Mosrite" name. It was and still is to laugh.

Against my own instincts, the only guitar I ever bought from Ed (he owned a music store in Connecticut at the time) was a Takamine Sante Fe - the early one with the turquoise markers. I paid bust out retail for it - and only because I really wanted it. (Still have it). Ed was not a price negotiator.

This is only my opinion, of course, but M.O.C is bottom tier in the Mosrite product chain. For the money little Eddy Roman wanted, Ed Elliot or the good Ms. Moseley or Bob Shade at Hallmark were a better alternative.
But - there's a guitar for every player
J Mo'

Johnny thank you for the info. Well when it comes in I'll try it out and see how it is but if I don't like it then definitely I'll get my money back. No wonder the one I had before wasn't very good. Well it was okay in terms of neck and body but the wrong pickups and trem bothered me but this one looks normal but still if it's bottom of the barrel I shouldn't get it, but I'll try first.

I have an Ed Roman Guitars story too. I never met him, but years before he died I did go to his store in Las Vegas. He was there and I saw him but I didn't deal with him. I just wanted to see his shop. Well a man and a wife came into he shop with their little girl and she wanted to learn guitar. She looked no older than 8 years of age. I was surprised an 8 year old girl wanted to learn guitar. Made me think her parents were the influence on that one but I could be wrong. Well not Ed Roman, but the salesman came over to help them. I don't recall what brand but he was pushing on them a $1,500 heavy metal guitar. He was saying basically this is the best guitar for the money, the girl needs the best if she wants to learn how to play correctly and all that jazz. Talk about pressure sales and the parents were buying into it and not really having the kid try different guitars. They would have been better off at Guitar Center with some small sized guitar, maybe a classical or something. Maybe a ukelele to start out on.

I been thinking about this since I wrote my reply and I’d rather per your suggestion get a Hallmark. I’ll check the guitar out anyway because it’s paid for but I bet I should get a Hallmark instead. Thanks

I wanna know the size of the strings the Hallmarks can handle!

Daniel Deathtide

Here is one but it's a lot nicer than the one I had at one point. Wonder if there were more than one maker of these? Ed Roman then also in Japan -

https://reverb.com/item/20343723-mosrite-mosrite-of-classic-red-white-blue?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v7mBRC1ARIsAAiw34_zZa-B1vcrbsh-TOoLL-jk3O9MKxZ0MZgETUKTXqlod-nP5Yt_9lIaAjNgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

I did some more research and found that there were some called Of Classics, made by Fillmore in Japan. Then some lower line ones of Classics by Ed Roman. The one I had once about 2008 was a lower line one since the pickkups were cheap generic P90s and no logo on the Bigsby. The one I will get from Guitar Center probably Tuesday, maybe Monday, from the photos have the correct appointments from the lousy photo they had on the website. So if it turns out being Made in Japan and a really good one then I may keep it. I'll have to wait and see.

I met Ed Roman . I was in Vegas and went to his 'worlds largest guitar store ' ..I was checking out the new Mosrite Japan Johnny Ramone signature models and he came over to say hello and gave me a tour ...we ended up in his office and he had the idol Indiana Jones was stealing in the beginning of Raiders Of The Lost Ark ( cool ) .
a couple days later wife and I noticed we were getting a nasty cold . ..then we remembered Ed had been sneezing when we were there ..he made us sick.

DeathTide wrote:

I wanna know the size of the strings the Hallmarks can handle!

The Hallmarks come with roundwound GHS 10's. I think I remember Bob Shade saying they can handle 11's. Best to ask him to be sure.

The Hallmarks can handle 11's, no problem in my experience. I've been running Roto 11's on mine for several years.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I run 11's on my Hallmark.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

I use 10-46 round wounds on my Hallmark 65. The issue with string gauge has probably more to do with the strings fitting into the rollers on the bridge saddles and not too much tension for the neck as the neck profiles on the Hallmarks are not as thin/shallow as a vintage Mosrite. My 65 has the most stable neck of any of my guitars...it's the only one that didn't need a truss rod adjustment when the weather changed.

Page 1 of 1