Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Hello, Let Me Introduce Myself I Am A New Member

Page 1 of 1

Hellow, I'm SurfMania. I am 52 and been playing since age 14 and loved surf music just as long. K-Earth 101 here in LA used to play 1050s and 60s and I got hooked listening to The Ventures on that station and then it all continued from there. Not sure if I love surf or rockabilly better. Love Doo Wop, some rock music like classic rock. Love the New Wave and New Romantic I grew up with.

Got a new 2002 AV62 Fender Jazzmaster in Olympic White because The Astronauts played these and also because Robert Smith of The Cure had one. Have a 1966 Mosrite Mark V in Red, a circa 1970 Mosrie Avenger, and today bought a used Mosrite online at Guitar Center, San Jose. It was listed as Mosrite of Classics but the photo shows otherwise. I had a Mosrite of Classics and those have no writing on the trem and also the pickups aren't Mosrite but P90s.

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to getting to know you!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to getting to know you!

Thank you very much SixStringSurfer.

You mean like modal chants through a reverb unit or something?

Wink

Welcome!

SurfMania wrote:

... used to play 1050s and 60s ...

SSIV

LHR wrote:

Wink

Welcome!

SurfMania wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, LHR!

Yes welcome! I'm just a few years younger than you and I also just discovered this awesome forum / resource.

I'm curious - would you know how thick your strings are on that '66 Mosrite? I was debating jumping into them but I can't go below 12s.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Yes welcome! I'm just a few years younger than you and I also just discovered this awesome forum / resource.

I'm curious - would you know how thick your strings are on that '66 Mosrite? I was debating jumping into them but I can't go below 12s.

I don’t know because I have had this guitar for a year and a half and not changed them yet. But from feel they feel like .10s but I may be wrong. Tomorrow I will get my caliper and measure it. Not at home now. What Mosrite do you have? On my Jazzmaster I have Pyramid flats in .12.

SurfMania wrote:

LHR wrote:

Wink

Welcome!

SurfMania wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, LHR!

LHR, LOL! Now I get what you meant by chanting thru reverb. Didn't notice I put 1050s and 60s rather than 1950s. LOL I must be of biblical age!

SurfMania wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

I don’t know because I have had this guitar for a year and a half and not changed them yet. But from feel they feel like .10s but I may be wrong. Tomorrow I will get my caliper and measure it. Not at home now. What Mosrite do you have? On my Jazzmaster I have Pyramid flats in .12.

Well I don’t have a Mosrite but I love how they sound. I was considering taking the plunge and asked here, and was told that 11s are generally too fat. Which is too thin for me, so instead I’ve saved my money. After hearing the Ventures more recently, there is a “twang” that to me, sounds like 10s or thinner.

If they could handle em, I’d bet 12s or 13s would sound just monstrous.

Daniel Deathtide

Yes I just verified it. My strings are .10s. My Mark V is a small guitar so not sure if it could handle .12. A Mark V might.

Welcome aboard, SurfMania! Very glad you're here.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Noel wrote:

Welcome aboard, SurfMania! Very glad you're here.

Thanks buddy.

Come on in! Bar's open!

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

montereyjack, thank you very much pal!

Always good to have new surfaholics on board. Welcome!

Skins for The Delstroyers

Page 1 of 1