Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Man, I wanna play a Mosrite

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

I feel strongly that I will love the experience. Similar feelings I had towards jags and that incredible thin skin av65 JM - I was not surprised at how great they were compared to a strat! Now I find strats kinda cumbersome.

They’re not that much to me, considering what they are. I want a 60s one. I don’t even want to mess with a Hallmark because it’s only about 60% more to get a vintage one. I’m seeing a super nice one (not a sunburst!) for $3k.

Anyone else had a similar conundrum?

Daniel Deathtide

Had the same feeling and got a Hallmark. Ended up not being for me. Wish I had a tried one first! Good guitar just not my thing.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Ha! That’s exactly what I figure I’d avoid by getting a real Mosrite. May I ask what guitars your prefer? Just as a base. For myself, no guitar has come close to being as comfy as that TS AV65 JM.

Daniel Deathtide

You might look around to see what $3K will buy. I'd include PRS on your list. Just play as many guitars at that price point to see if one makes you smile and say ALOHA! Good luck.

Happy Sunsets!

Well sure, but that's a whole nother journey. I am just looking for folks who got the Mosrite bug (ideally after playing jags & JMs) and felt like sharing. My (extremely limited and vague) understanding is the Hallmark guitars have a similar sound to the original Mosrites, but that they feel different to play. This is why I'm more interested in skipping the Hallmark step. Sorry if I was unclear!

Daniel Deathtide

Mosrites are kind of weird guitars and definitely not for everybody.
First off, the neck is very narrow and the string spacing is tight. Nothing at all like a Jazzmaster. The action is very low and the frets are almost non-existent, which makes string bending more challenging as there's not a lot to push against. You cant really use anything heavier than 10's on them, the necks wont take it. The pick ups are pretty hot and can overdrive an amp really easily, plus they howl at louder volumes. They sound great though and the vibrato works really well. I got both of mine at Guitar Center of all places, and they really wanted to just get rid of them it seems and were priced accordingly... Good deals on vintage mosrites can be found if you're patient, or you might want to consider a Kurokumo model, they're pretty close to the originals by all accounts and can be had for around a grand. You might want to try before you buy, they're very quirky and you'll either love it or hate it, not much middle ground with mosrites

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019 06:16:32

I got the Mosrite bug years ago from the early Ventures and still have it. I have a few (make that many) and they all sound just a little bit different from each other. They sound great through any Fender amp - even better through a Vox AC30 or Bedrock amp.
As opposed to the erector set clunker known as the Fender Stratocaster, a Mosrite plays fast and smooth. The comparison is like driving a truck compared to a sportscar. This is due to the near non-existent frets - so do your 1,000 semitone blues bending on another guitar. And it's a simple guitar - volume tone, a simple,reliable whammy bar, and hot P90 type pickups.

The Hallmarks are a good bargain. They play as well or better than the originals; they just don't have the raw edge sound of the originals.

1960s Mosrites now go for $3,000+ but there are still bargains to be had.
My last "find" was at a local Guitar Center. They wanted $1,000.00 for a 1965 "beater". It was missing the case, a bearing in the tremolo arm socket, the smooth control knobs, and the neck pickup was dead. But what a patina on the original all black finish! I made my deal, replaced the needed parts from my parts stash-including an original beater case, a matching 'no R logo' neck pickup, fresh tremolo bearings and this thing now ROARS. I had a dealer at a guitar show beg me to sell it to him. It's a classic 1965. I still have it.

Psycho is right, though. You should try one before you buy. Mosley did have some quality control issues. I actually had to "re-wire" one to spec. Seems that a worker soldered the center lugs of the volume and tone controls together and wired the tone cap incorrectly. The original owner thought it was just a "quirk" of the guitar and never thought to fix the electronics.
Happy hunting..
J Mo'

Own a Japanese reissue and a Hallmark, played a few vintage ones, I'll just echo everyone else here and say they're not for everyone, playing wise. Super slim necks and low frets, you'd be lucky to get anything heavier than 11s on one really. If you're into that though they're a joy to play, and sound amazing.

The Hallmarks are great, but definitely different. Chunkier neck for one, a bit more similar to a JM neck imo.

But yeah, try one, it's the only way to know for sure!

Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

The Atom Jacks

I love this site! Thank you guys so much for your thoughts! That's exactly the kind of info I was seeking, thank you thank you.

I like thin necks, low frets (I don't ever bend), the narrow string spacing might be weird, but the craziest thing to me is the hot pickups! How did the Ventures get such astoundingly clean tones with super hot pickups?!

I also really like thick strings, I'm trying to work my way up to 14s. I recently put a .016 on a strat for the high E and I love it! So maybe these guitars are not for me. I really, really do not like the feel of anything below 12s, even 11s feel thin to me and I end up playing sloppy. Can the Hallmarks take 12s?

I think I need to get one and play it, but there's no way I'll find one down here. Argh! I wish I could play one first. Who knows, the thin strings might work for me on these? I'd imagine thicker strings with less space between them would make it even more tight to play, at least marginally.

There are these two for what I'd consider a very reasonable price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosrite-Mark-I-1966-Guitar/202662935578?hash=item2f2fa6fc1a:g:CigAAOSwRiFclRp6&frcectupt=true

https://reverb.com/item/1055914-mosrite-the-ventures-model-1960-s-metallic

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019 10:28:09

DeathTide wrote:

How did the Ventures get such astoundingly clean tones with super hot pickups?!

They didn't. Compare the Ventures' Mosrite albums (e.g., Fabulous Ventures, Knock Me Out, A Go Go) to the earlier ones (Telstar and earlier). The Mosrite album tones were grindy.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019 11:03:35

Ah! I just listened to Walk Don’t Run ‘64 and by my ears, that’s pretty clean! At any rate, that is the “alternate clean” sound I’m curious about.

It also seems like he’s barely touching the strings, AKA playing very lightly. That may be my problem, my picking is like a hammer on the strings!

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Ah! I just listened to Walk Don’t Run ‘64 and by my ears, that’s pretty clean!

Most leads on WDR Vol. 2 have a grindy tone. Even WDR 64 has grind when Nokie fully strikes strings unmuted. I'm not referring to Don's tic-tics of course, or to full-on fuzztone as in Peach Fuzz.

Incidentally, I much prefer thin necks too. So much so that I thin guitar necks myself, using rotary tools (like Moto-tool) and sanders. I thin them to 1 to 2 mm of the tension rod groove, except for the one I thinned just a little too much. I even thinned the neck on a DiPinto and sold it to a fellow who rated it 5 stars on Reverb, as it deserved. So I don't need a Mosrite for a thin neck. With 5 pickups each of a different brand I get whatever tone I want.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019 16:17:29

A fellow band member had a few Mosrites and I played them. I didn't like them at all. They were very cool, just not for me. $3K would buy a very nice refinished 60s Jazzmaster or Jaguar

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

I've had both a mid 1960s mosrite and a more modern japanese copy. I will say that I play softly, and I don't bend notes much (preferring vibrato).

i can pick faster on mosrites, string spacing never bothered me. I prefer the jazzmaster for drippy reverb because of the scale length. I get more snap out of a strat or JM than the 24.75 mosrite scale (also why I don't like jags at 24")

they're weird guitars. I loved mine, they sound unique for sure, but not enough to keep them. If I were still gigging in a band I'd consider owning one again.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019 18:48:51

DeathTide wrote:

I also really like thick strings, I'm trying to work my way up to 14s. I recently put a .016 on a strat for the high E and I love it! So maybe these guitars are not for me. I really, really do not like the feel of anything below 12s, even 11s feel thin to me and I end up playing sloppy. Can the Hallmarks take 12s?

I've got 12s on my Hallmark, so yes they can take them, I'm not sure how much heavier you could go on it as I've not tried, but it can at least take 12s no issue.

The only thing is that the Hallmark doesn't quite have the sound of a Mosrite to my ears, the Hallmark sounds a little darker, and is a little lower output. However, I understand that the pickup routes are the same size as a Mosrite route so you should be able to drop in a set of Mosrite pickups or repro's into a Hallmark wit little hassle.

Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

The Atom Jacks

I love Mosrites - there's nothing else like them. Yes, they've got narrow necks and low frets, but that brings out different elements in your playing. Hallmarks are fine, they get the sound pretty close and the vibratos are functionally correct, but the playing feel is pretty generic - which many people want, so more power to them.

FWIW, the Japanese built Mosrites are pretty accurate to the originals. The only thing they don't have is a "speed fret" job, but the frets are small and easy enough to make them speed frets if you're so inclined.

Now, gratuitous Mosrite photo. Left to right, a "Partsrite" VIII, a Bill Gruggett built clone, a double neck replica, and a '66 Ventures model.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019 00:17:53

Smart_Patrol wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

I've got 12s on my Hallmark, so yes they can take them, I'm not sure how much heavier you could go on it as I've not tried, but it can at least take 12s no issue.

The only thing is that the Hallmark doesn't quite have the sound of a Mosrite to my ears, the Hallmark sounds a little darker, and is a little lower output. However, I understand that the pickup routes are the same size as a Mosrite route so you should be able to drop in a set of Mosrite pickups or repro's into a Hallmark wit little hassle.

I have a Hallmark 65 Custom guitar with Dana-Mo pickups and a Hallmark 65 Custom Bass. Here are a couple of audio examples with both instruments that I recorded for reference. My ears are not so good anymore, so I can't tell if these recordings sound exactly like a vintage Mosrite. But to me, they're close enough for government work.

https://soundcloud.com/ernieornowicz/walk-dont-run-65

https://soundcloud.com/ernieornowicz/slaughter-on-10th-avenue

Victor nails it!
And this is a guy who can make a Mosrite sing!

(You've inspired me, bringing my Mosrite Excellent to Otto's this weekend)

psychonaut wrote:

Mosrites are kind of weird guitars and definitely not for everybody.
First off, the neck is very narrow and the string spacing is tight. Nothing at all like a Jazzmaster. The action is very low and the frets are almost non-existent, which makes string bending more challenging as there's not a lot to push against. You cant really use anything heavier than 10's on them, the necks wont take it. The pick ups are pretty hot and can overdrive an amp really easily, plus they howl at louder volumes. They sound great though and the vibrato works really well. I got both of mine at Guitar Center of all places, and they really wanted to just get rid of them it seems and were priced accordingly... Good deals on vintage mosrites can be found if you're patient, or you might want to consider a Kurokumo model, they're pretty close to the originals by all accounts and can be had for around a grand. You might want to try before you buy, they're very quirky and you'll either love it or hate it, not much middle ground with mosrites

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019 10:51:08

You might check out Ed Elliot guitars. He worked for Mosely and builds a limited number of guitars annually. He casts the metal parts himself and winds the pickups too. Worth checking out. Personally, I have owned one Modrite, a Celebrity. Loved the sound but hated the neck. I'm just too dick fingered to deal with that narrow fingerboard and non existent frets. I'll stick to my JM or a Strat.

What a site this is. I cannot thank those of you who wrote enough. After reading through the thoughts, it does seem like these guitars are most likely not my thang. I’ll try one at some point but it doesn’t seem like a good idea to purchase.

Daniel Deathtide

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next