Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Seeing things in a new light.

Page 1 of 1

Sort of a PSA, especially the fifty and over crowd. Roughly a month ago, I realized that I was misreading things for too often. I had always been far-sighted and needed reading glasses from my forties, on. But a bicycle accident six years ago left me in need of a retina repair and occasional vision problems in my left eye. Strangely, my left eye became less far-sighted and then became near-sighted. I always attributed this to the retina repair, but apparently the injury accelerated the development of a cataract in my left eye.

Last week, I had cataract surgery in my left eye and found out that I had really been suffering poor vision unnecessarily. I’m back to 20/20 vision in that eye and I realized that my color perception had been affected, as well. I have much less fatigue, because I’m no longer straining to see. I am back to needing reading assistance, which I cover with a single contact lens, in one eye.

One misconception I had is that a cataract clouds your vision. Indeed, a cataract does cloud vision, but before that becomes a problem, it’s very likely that your refraction will be affected.

The right eye has a less developed cataract, which is getting the heave-ho in a few weeks. My vision is still pretty decent in that eye, but it is too susceptible to glare, and should be dealt with for that reason.

My PSA. Simple, make sure to get to the eye doc every year and have a full, dilated eye exam. Cataract surgery is painless and quick. It sure beats having compromised vision.

Sermon concluded. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

As always, brilliant Synchro wisdom. You can add a prostate check to that list! I’m gonna be 47 in about a month and it’s pretty obvious I need to check that out...

Daniel Deathtide

I had my first eye exam since middle school a few months ago and wasn’t all that shocked to learn I had mild astigmatisms in both eyes. I WAS surprised to learn just how much worse it was in one of them than the other though.

I’m lucky, I don’t need the glasses all day everyday or even to drive. Mostly I need them for reading and using the tv/computer at night when my eyes get tired.

I’m glad I got them checked out though, it’s pretty amazing what a small improvement to your vision can make.

Nicky Nicky Nicky Very Happy

Great comments, gents. Yep, the prostate check is important. I have a PSA some every year and have very low numbers. When you hit 50, the doctor with the Steel Eel shows up and you need to have you colon scoped every 5 to 10 years. The procedure’s a breezes your out like a light, but the purge process the day before is about as much fun as the flu. Nine years ago, I lost a friend to colon cancer, so I’ll accept that inconvenience graciously.

Good call on the other eye issues, Tricky Nicky. Welcome to the zoo.

And here we are playing music originally written by 13 year olds...

Redfeather wrote:

And here we are playing music originally written by 13 year olds...

Good point.

I've been wearing glasses since age seven and I'm now sixty three, for many years I filled the description of "blind as a bat" and had the famed coke bottle glasses to prove it. But my "eye tissue" has always been healthy (so far). On a lighter note my near sightedness has improved dramatically, still wear a heavy prescription but it's close to half of what it was in the past.

bamboozer wrote:

I've been wearing glasses since age seven and I'm now sixty three, for many years I filled the description of "blind as a bat" and had the famed coke bottle glasses to prove it. But my "eye tissue" has always been healthy (so far). On a lighter note my near sightedness has improved dramatically, still wear a heavy prescription but it's close to half of what it was in the past.

A phenomenon known as the middle aged bonus, which happens for the near sighted.

I’m nearsighted and with some super annoying astigmatism, but contacts work fairly well. I have to wear big helicopter headphones for work so it’s tough with glasses.

It really sucks how our bodies generally change for the worse, cells and organs such. Even with the astigmatism I had no problems with contacts for decades, then about nine months ago the contacts started squeezing my corneas! It manifested as cloudiness, when I’d wear them longer than eight or ten hours. The cloudiness persisted for about an hour after removing the lenses. Turns out my eyes just changed, both bulged slightly or something. I could no longer use that brand, so I embarked on an epic journey to “find my brand.” I tried five different brands of astigmatism lenses and weirdly ended up with the best and clearest being two brands! Bauch and Loam monthlies for the left, and (I forget the brand) dailies for the right eye. Then yesterday that left eye started giving me guff and I had to switch to glasses.

Finally, a few months ago, with correction, I have trouble focusing close. Without correction it’s fine, which is great because I like to read comics without glasses. Maybe I never shoulda gotten lasik in 1997!

You’ve got me all excited to meet the steel snake in a few years. Is that for cancer specifically or are there other benefits to that test?

Daniel Deathtide

I'm fortunate in that Accuvue Oasys work well in both eyes. I need a broad, 8.8, base curve, but they work well.

The steel eel is for cancer detection, to the best of my knowledge.

Page 1 of 1