Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NGD - Fender Jaguar Thinline

Page 1 of 1

Just picked up this one, great base for upgrades. Now waiting for the mailman to show up with a "vintage wiring kit", USA tremolo, tort pickguard and AV65 pickups, the Mastery was lying around from a former project. The guitar plays well and sounds like a Jaguar, maybe a bit more resonant, biggest issue for me is the neck, it’s too thin for my taste/hands, but i might get used to it, or maybe it will be a future upgrade. Suggestions on where to find a "fatter neck" for replacement is appreciated.

Congrats...very cool. Don't see many of those around.
For fatter neck, in the USA there is Warmoth and USCG who will make you a replacement neck pretty much as fat as you want.

That thing is rad.

Nice! I like the black pickguard. Congrats! Cool

Looks really cool. A number of people here have said good things about Musikraft necks - you can customize everything if you order from them, including thickness (I think it's under their "back profile" option or something like that). They ought to be able to make one as thick as you like.

That really grabs me.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Great guitar.
I had one of these, a few years ago and regret selling it.
Congrats.

http://soundcloud.com/graham-pike

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 03:04:00

Is this Thinline lighter than the old Jaguar ? Might be easier on the back while playing a long time I would think.

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Is this Thinline lighter than the old Jaguar ? Might be easier on the back while playing a long time I would think.

It actually gained some weight after installing AV65 pickups, Usa tremelo new wiring/pots and switches. Weights 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds).

I like the binding around the body - has a vibe to it - wow 7.7 pounds Shock - close to back breaker for me

Pretty guitar though

Beautiful, I've never seen the like.

Which neck is on there now? An AV65 neck?

DrippinReverb wrote:

Which neck is on there now? An AV65 neck?

The neck is stock for now, as much as I would like it's to thin and narrow for my big hands and taste. I'm more into the "baseball bat's" when it comes to guitar necks.

FWIW - I bought one of these back in '12, and the neck is actually pretty chunky as far as CIJ Jaguars go. I have a '94 CIJ neck that is significantly smaller than the thinline stock neck.

Edit: Also, it's funny how no one liked it when it originally came out.
Fender Thin Line Jaguar

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 16:41:45

pavlovsdog wrote:

FWIW - I bought one of these back in '12, and the neck is actually pretty chunky as far as CIJ Jaguars go. I have a '94 CIJ neck that is significantly smaller than the thinline stock neck.

Edit: Also, it's funny how no one liked it when it originally came out.
Fender Thin Line Jaguar

I agree, it's funny, I'm one of those who didn't like them at all when they came out, nowadays I'm happy to be out my "vintage correct bubble" when it comes to guitar aesthetics. I did have a JG66 BB a couple of years ago, the neck on that model was chunky, at least on this one it's pretty slim and narrow. There is a neck from a Jaguar 60's lacquer up for sale on our equivalent to Craigs list here, anyone got any experience with them?
I also just got the "62 vintage wiring kit" and the pure vintage 65 pickups installed but kept the org. CIJ grounding. It works fine in terms of noise, but the result in terms of tone was rather disappointing, to my ears it lost a lot of the "Jag character" and it didn't open up as much I imagined. Much less versatile with the only useful setting being neck position, the bridge is to trebly and very little audible difference to the strangle switch. I'm thinking of swapping back to the stock pickups, but thinking maybe it's because of the wiring kit, thoughts?
Link to the wiring kit

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 17:20:44

Wow, that's a beauty! The grain in the wood is lovely, and the f-hole makes it look so different. Love it! Congrats.

I wish I could get a jag, but they are too big and heavy for little me.

Page 1 of 1