Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NGD: Squier Jazzmaster

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Yo forum. Today I scored my first JM for a hundo and I'm pretty stoked. It's a squier but it's been upgraded with a real Fender vibrato and bridge and the pickups are apparently some hand wound ones. It does need some love, though, as the rhythm circuit doesn't work and the jack is intermittent.

So I'm going to have it apart for a cleaning and mild rework and when it goes back together I'll be replacing the 9s or maybe 10s that are on it now. My question is this: flatwound 12s or flatwound 13s? I want to keep it pretty much authentic to how these things were back when. So stock bridge and all that. I'm just wondering if the communal wisdom on these things would prefer one set to the other and why.

Thanks!

UPDATED WITH PICS

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019 17:51:57

Of all the Squires you just got the best one - nice

The original strings on those are a tinny but but some nice 10's or bigger hits the spot. Nice guitar

Nice score! I'd be stoked, too, if I picked up a Squier JM with a real Fender whammy and bridge for a hundo. Congrats. I have flatwound 11s on mine, so I would probably vote for the 12s.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

I recently put a set of flatwound 11s on a Strat and I'm surprised by how floppy they feel already. It's not a surf guitar but based on that experience, I wouldn't want to go smaller than 12s on the JM, since it IS going to be a surf guitar.

Everything I've read about the infamous JM vibrato has me of the impression that the more downward pressure there is on bridge the better so that's why I'm wondering about the difference between 12s and 13s.

Redfeather wrote:

My question is this: flatwound 12s or flatwound 13s? I want to keep it pretty much authentic to how these things were back when. So stock bridge and all that. I'm just wondering if the communal wisdom on these things would prefer one set to the other and why.

My opinion is by no means in the expert category of others here but I have always liked 12's on my JM and 13's on both my Jags. That way I get approximately the same picking resistance and feel on both due to their difference in scale length. Both guitars benefit from heavy strings to put sufficient pressure on the stock bridge to help keep rattle to a minimum - as long as the bridge saddles (barrels) are properly adjusted so that both height adjustment screws are resting with equal pressure against the "floor" of the bridge plate, with the barrels level.

Back when I was young and played loud and hard I used 14's on my JM, so you have lots of room to move from 12's.

Congratulations and wishing you many happy years of playing, sounds like you scored righteously!!!!!

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Last edited: Apr 08, 2019 20:02:51

.12's on this Jazzmaster will make it feel like a different guitar for the better. Should play like butter and should give you no issues with string slippage on the bridge, unless you are REALLY heavy handed with your picking hand.

Well, I got it worked over and strung up with flatwound 12s. It does play like butter, owing to pretty low action, and that's good. But I do kind of wish I had gone with 13s. No worries, though. I'll just swap up when these ones wear out in 30 years.

Also, damn! Jazzmasters are really bright! Even with flatwounds. When I had it apart I found that the pickups are Bullocks and maybe that's a contributing factor as well.

Finally, I have to say that while I'm enjoying the JM "thing", I'm certainly nowhere near being converted from Strats. The JM feels super long and kind of awkward in comparison. But the sound is way different and the smooth and subtle vibrato is VERY nice. Also, rakes behind the bridge are kinda fun.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:36:23

Ok now what's this? What's all this rattling going on with the bridge? A little Misirlou and now it's all rattly?

Is one hour really how long it takes to discover the "charm" of Jazzmasters that everyone's always complaining about? I was really hoping to keep this thing stock for the authentic Fender experience but if this is how bad the experience is gonna be, I'm decking the bridge and swapping in my leftover Kahler roller saddles. Christ, Leo. Is Autumn in New York truly the limit of the Jazzmaster's hardware?

And Tqi... uhhhhh, ahem. I thought you knew... I bought a Gomez Surfer off a forum member a while back... And I feel guilty every time you post in your build thread. Which hasn't been much lately but it looks like the guilt is about to resume! Which I'm happy for, actually. Home stretch, buddy!

If you're not familiar with the bridge, give it some more time and try to figure out what exactly causes the rattling. .012's minimum, dip saddle and intonation screws in machine oil, do a setup making sure all saddle screws make contact with the base plate. If a spring is loose and rattling because the saddle's way up front, stretch it. Keep us posted.

https://soundcloud.com/elzeb

There’s a lot of inherent brightness in a jm. It’s the bridge, the extra string length behind it, the pickups and electronics.
There are plenty of ways to throw money at it, and some of them very worthy, but start with the time knob, and mess around with that more than you might on any other guitar.

This link: http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/adjusting-a-jazzmaster-type-bridge.78986/ has some good tips.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

SilverFlash wrote:

This link: http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/adjusting-a-jazzmaster-type-bridge.78986/ has some good tips.

Thanks, SilverFlash, for the pointer to this helpful explainer!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject of VM Jazzmasters I have a question for the group. Some time ago there was a thread about VM Jazzmasters in which a member posted a list of recommended modifications. For the life of me I haven't been able to find that post through numerous searches. I'm grateful to anyone who might remember that post and could point me to it.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:48:50

Pictures, pictures! You know nothing is real on the internet without PICS!! Big Grin

I was afraid someone was gonna say that. I added a couple shots for you.

Does the bridge height look normal? I lowered it a bunch from how it was when I got it and had to shim the neck on the high end to regain string action. I like my strings to be as low at the bridge as possible because I find it much more comfortable to play surf guitar that way.

I'm still considering a roller saddle swap and lowering the bridge all the way to the pickguard. In fact, I'm even considering cutting a hole in the pickguard to allow the bridge to sit right on the guitar body.

This would make the string break angle damn near zero, I know, but with roller saddles that shouldn't be a problem.

here's a web link to show how to set up your bridge.
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25516-diy-how-to-set-up-jazzmasters-jaguars?page=2

Just looking at the bridge height, I'd shim the neck to increase break angle and raise the bridge posts. At the very least, I'd raise the bridge, and lower the saddles.

You can always try loctite (the kind that's not permanent) to 'set' the screws once you intonate properly. Some of the Squier bridge's grub screws have a way of working themselves out sometimes from all the vibrations frpm playing.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next