Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink New band alert

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Is this the right forum? Anyway, original instrumental band starting up, here. In Tampa, looking for gigs. Horror/Misfits kind of image. Let me know what you think!

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

WOW! That is really, really good! Absolutely love this tune!!
Great job guys!

Listen to my band The Surfusions on our Bandcamp Page Link
Like The Surfusions on Facebook ... Link
Follow The Surfusions on Twitter ... Link

Last edited: Apr 06, 2019 20:59:42

Thanks!

That is AWESOME! Where can you find more tunes?

PhantomOperators.bandcamp.com
Reverbnation.com/PhantomOperators

Thanks! We have 10 songs recorded in various stages of mixing. One song will be coming out on a punk rock Halloween comp on Cleopatra records later in the year. As far as the others, I havent yet decided when,or how to release. My ultimate would be to have a label help us out with a vinyl release and distribution. But So far, none have bit. So if that doesnt happen, I suppose we will finish the recording in the next few weeks and put it out ourselves (unless we decide to add more songs to make it a proper full length). Until then, we will probably throw up a song on,youtube here and there. Check us out on Facebook. Facebook.com/blackvalleymoon

Groovy. Thanks!

PhantomOperators.bandcamp.com
Reverbnation.com/PhantomOperators

Interesting feel and love the guitar tone!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Very tasty tune, with lot of skill in that lead playing! To my ears, the bass and rhythm are buried in the mix, and I can't hear them. I'd like a cleaner guitar, but maybe that's just me.

Nice work. Let us know when you have more to listen to.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Yeah, this isn’t totally traditional surf. Just heavily inspired by surf and 60s stuff. So the guitar tones are all over the place instead of straight clean, trad surf sounds. I’d say tonally the inspirations tend to be more edge of break up/garage. Though they vary from song to song. My biggest influences in terms of tone are link Wray and Brian setzer. This tune happens to be a tv Jones equipped guitar through a cranked 1970 fender pro jr, a 6G15, and a belle epoch deluxe. My approach to songwriting is more along the lines of the shadows and the ventures. Where as the songs are rooted in the 60s and guitar instrumental, it’s not always purist surf music, though several songs land on that mark.
Anyway, thanks for listening! So far it’s been a little hard to open people’s minds to letting us gig around here with such an esoteric genre. But I will keep at it.

I like it, Sam!

https://striciizozadja.bandcamp.com/

slopoke wrote:

I like it, Sam!

Thank you!

Cool man, I will check you guys out!

Really nice, Sam. Good to hear some extended chords applied to surf. Gives a jazzy/R&B color.
You guys would be a good fit for the Hukilau in Ft. Lauderdale.

+1 !!! Really digging Cemetery Romance. Nicely done. Thumbs Up

My memory may be failing me, but IIRC you had or participated threads here wondering about (questioning? being frustrated with?) the viability of such a band coming from the Punk world. Apologies if I am recalling that wrong. And if I am recalling it correctly, you should be really proud of persevering through those questions or concerns. What you've got here is pretty excellent music, IMHO.

Paging Hi-Tide Recordings...

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Welcome to the fabulous and extremely popular world of INstrumental Surf Music.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Strat-o-rama wrote:

Really nice, Sam. Good to hear some extended chords applied to surf. Gives a jazzy/R&B color.
You guys would be a good fit for the Hukilau in Ft. Lauderdale.

Cool! I need info for that place. I'm located in Tampa.

Fady wrote:

+1 !!! Really digging Cemetery Romance. Nicely done. Thumbs Up

My memory may be failing me, but IIRC you had or participated threads here wondering about (questioning? being frustrated with?) the viability of such a band coming from the Punk world. Apologies if I am recalling that wrong. And if I am recalling it correctly, you should be really proud of persevering through those questions or concerns. What you've got here is pretty excellent music, IMHO.

Paging Hi-Tide Recordings...

Thanks very much! Yes, that was my dilemma. I am not sure why I kept at it, other than the fact that I really, really wanted to do it. I am hoping the fact that it's not exactly traditional surf music that it maybe won't suffer the same marketing liabilities. But still interest many of the same people. That wasn't a cynical move on my part. As I said, the Shadows are probably my biggest song writing influence. And while occupying the same space as many surf bands and doing a tune that could be considered surf here and there, their approach seemed to be more about 60's pop songs that happened to be instrumental with guitar as the main instrument. I think that's where I'm coming from, to some degree. At the same time, checking another desire of mine off the list, which is doing a band with an Unknown Hinson/Misfits horror kind of theme, visually... I guess we will see what happens. At the very least, I'll be putting out a record I've always wanted to do (instrumental guitar, but with different vintage song approaches than the typical Joe Satriani/Steve Vai kinda thing). And, hopefully, playing around the region. Maybe some surf fests, or horror conventions as well. That's my dream, anyway. The icing on the cake would be if I didn't have to lose a ton of money doing it.

Really good stuff!

Four String Fender for The Delstroyers & The Woodhavens

Yeah Sam you got to start somewhere ..do it your way ,,,all bands need to sound different anyway.

Yeah its hard to get interest in surf where I'm at too, but I'm ready to knock down some doors pretty soon myself. Its all Country - Alternative and new pop here. Lots of Reggae and Island (Jimmy Buffet) Type stuff - no Surf though and I'm at beach resort can you believe it.

Offer to do free gigs to get in the doors - I've seen a few videos of pool side performances of people playing Surf instrumentals - I might try that myself or a small Amusement park kind of stuff if they will let me do it.

Thanks for the awesome support, guys. I have my fingers crossed that this will work out, somehow. I really am looking forward to playing some sg101 events and meeting you guys in person, finally.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next