Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink solo gig!

Page 1 of 1

this is a snippet from my new monthly(!) solo gig. The sound is not great, amp is down on the floor and I tried putting the phone on top of the bar, but if you're feeling forgiving it gives you the idea. I'm using a DL4 for the looping on some tunes, like this one. It's a new original, which I may have inadvertently plagiarized, so if you recognize it, tell me! thanks for watching.

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:24:57

Delrin96mm wrote:

Matt: I really admire your courage for performing instrumental surf music to a bar crowd solo. I used to play a lot in pubs in the 1990s and early 2000s, and even with vocals it can be a tough environment to play in - especially if you're on your own. So I take my hat of to you for leaving the safety of your trench and venturing out into no-man's land like that (sorry, I couldn't think of a surfing metaphor, so I opted for a military one!).

Well if any effort deserves a good surfing metaphor, this one does, so here's a stab at one...

Unfazed by the cold water of an unfamiliar break, Matt paddled out alone towards the dangers of the reef which his friends had told him about. Under the scrutinizing gaze of a few locals on the beach drinking beer around an open fire pit, he dropped in on a choice wave, popping up smoothly to make a sweeping bottom turn before seeing the lip of the wave overhead, a perfect moment within that glorious symbiotic performance between man and nature that is surfing. He flew along on the burst of acceleration to carve his way along the face and over the shoulder. Later, when the ebb tide came and the reef was no longer jacking the waves up, he finally paddled in and packed up while one of the locals struck up a conversation about what size strings he used.

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Yeah, that's balls! With this chattery crowd on top... admirable.
Lovely song too.

Yeah nice job Matt - Your my hero - I want to do solo gigs myself

The song reminds me of a Astronaut song at times Cool

I'm going to use a beat buddy pedal with a Midi foot controller to rock up my performance a bit

you are officially hired as my new PR firm!

Stoopy wrote:

Delrin96mm wrote:

Matt: I really admire your courage for performing instrumental surf music to a bar crowd solo. I used to play a lot in pubs in the 1990s and early 2000s, and even with vocals it can be a tough environment to play in - especially if you're on your own. So I take my hat of to you for leaving the safety of your trench and venturing out into no-man's land like that (sorry, I couldn't think of a surfing metaphor, so I opted for a military one!).

Well if any effort deserves a good surfing metaphor, this one does, so here's a stab at one...

Unfazed by the cold water of an unfamiliar break, Matt paddled out alone towards the dangers of the reef which his friends had told him about. Under the scrutinizing gaze of a few locals on the beach drinking beer around an open fire pit, he dropped in on a choice wave, popping up smoothly to make a sweeping bottom turn before seeing the lip of the wave overhead, a perfect moment within that glorious symbiotic performance between man and nature that is surfing. He flew along on the burst of acceleration to carve his way along the face and over the shoulder. Later, when the ebb tide came and the reef was no longer jacking the waves up, he finally paddled in and packed up while one of the locals struck up a conversation about what size strings he used.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the support. I've done it three times now, and I'm getting more comfy with it. It definitely feels a little weird at first, just sitting down and playing. but the good news is it's kicking my butt on knowing the tunes, and when I play with the band, it's so much easier.

I considered a drum machine. I actually have one which I, ahem, don't really know how to use. Ultimately I decided to try and make the solo thing different from the band thing, and just let it be mellower. I do some tunes a little more rubato, maybe a bit more slow stuff. I don't really try to do the really rocking stuff from the band repertoire, just because it's always a bit unsatisfying.

but it's a work in progress. I'll keep at it as long as they keep hiring me!

You could do something like this guy = he plays on the boardwalk near me - old school panning I guess Laughing When I think solo is going nowhere I find motivation with this guy Smile

Last edited: Apr 08, 2019 22:05:32

Never thought of doing this! How awesome!

Page 1 of 1