SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

DannySnyder: People often say "icy" is the easiest word to spell and looking at it now, I see why.
188 days ago

Emilien03: BAJA SURF STOMP!
173 days ago

Emilien03: https://www....
173 days ago

Tqi: Oy, Fender, Orange. One of you, make a 20W starved-plate valve bass amp. Like an Origin 20 with a big OT.
123 days ago

Remora: New member here saying hello
88 days ago

Clint: Ever try to explain “surf music” to friends? A Day at the Beach Podcast #150 can do this for you. It explains how it got started and ends with today’s modern bands and much more. Please share with those unaware… https://www....
80 days ago

synchro: Hello Remora.
69 days ago

dragonfly: Dick Dale was my best friend and my rock. I loved him unconditionally and he will be greatly missed. R.I.P. dear one you deserve it.
30 days ago

TheAmpFibian: People are always shocked to find out how bad of an electrician I am.
21 days ago

dragonfly: Pic of the day HBSM Jam 2012 was during my tenure. OMG do I miss those days but nowadays I couldn't handle it. No
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

35%

35%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink "Shark" build

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Also, it's the exact same diagram, just drawn differently. ;)

They who die with the fewest control knobs, win.

Wiring is usually my weakness, so I'm always searching for a diagram that looks like it would work with exactly the parts I have. These Surf 90s only have 3 conductor wires, so the SD 4-wire drawing was confusing me. But these conductors both have a braided shield around them, so I'm hoping they'll work.

GFS says White is positive(+), Red is ground. Bare is shielding, which attaches to ground. So connect red and bare, and wire it up using any 2 lead diagram you can find. This is the easiest 2 pickup wiring diagram ,and because of that (?), it's hard to find a diagram. But, basically, run each pickup to the 3 way switch - all grounds connected to the ground lug, each pickup connected to its switched lug, then run the common lug to the volume knob, which runs to the tone knob. make sure to have good connectivity of all your grounds (you own a multimeter, right?) and go!

You can use any of the previous mentioned diagram. I think the pickups should have come with a diagram as well. Just remember positive and negative.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Apr 09, 2019 19:16:18

Thanks Sonichris! That's what I had worked out and hoped to hear, although GFS is saying that the white is ground & red is signal. No diagram came with either pickup, other than this. Thanks very much for confirming!

Ha! That is hilarious. In the real world, it really doesnt make any difference, as long as you hook both pickups up the same way. Otherwise, out of phase in the two pickup combination.

GFS needs to standardize their wiring, BTW.

If I ever own or run a pickup company, all the wires will be various shades of white. Sure to throw everyone off in every way.........

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

My rangemaster clone is painted pink.

And the LED is pink.

And every single wire in it is the same powder pink colour.

They who die with the fewest control knobs, win.

Getting ready to cut the pickguard:

You're lucky that the shielding ground wire is separate from the signal ground. Sometimes they combine the two for simplicity's (cheapness) sake. Then if you want to be able to reverse the wiring of one of your pickups to achieve out-of-phase sound, you're left with a hot chassis, which is really hummy.

I have a Gretsch that was like this so I has to decouple the two grounds and make a new one for the pickup chassis ground.

Getting to the point, you might consider making one of them reversible with a switch so you can get the "Peter Green" sound in the middle. It's a good sound with humbuckers. I don't know how those Surf 90s would sound. On my Gretsch, I did it because I found the neck and middle positions too similar. It's an easy way to add versatility.

Pickguard cut:

Mocked up with pickguard:

(drooling intensifies)

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

It's got lifeless eyes.

LIKE A DOLL'S EYES.

Rear covers done. Now just waiting for lacquer to cure for a couple weeks before sanding, polishing and final assembly.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2