Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink "Shark" build

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:48:41

Wiring is usually my weakness, so I'm always searching for a diagram that looks like it would work with exactly the parts I have. These Surf 90s only have 3 conductor wires, so the SD 4-wire drawing was confusing me. But these conductors both have a braided shield around them, so I'm hoping they'll work.

GFS says White is positive(+), Red is ground. Bare is shielding, which attaches to ground. So connect red and bare, and wire it up using any 2 lead diagram you can find. This is the easiest 2 pickup wiring diagram ,and because of that (?), it's hard to find a diagram. But, basically, run each pickup to the 3 way switch - all grounds connected to the ground lug, each pickup connected to its switched lug, then run the common lug to the volume knob, which runs to the tone knob. make sure to have good connectivity of all your grounds (you own a multimeter, right?) and go!

You can use any of the previous mentioned diagram. I think the pickups should have come with a diagram as well. Just remember positive and negative.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Apr 09, 2019 19:16:18

Thanks Sonichris! That's what I had worked out and hoped to hear, although GFS is saying that the white is ground & red is signal. No diagram came with either pickup, other than this. Thanks very much for confirming!

Ha! That is hilarious. In the real world, it really doesnt make any difference, as long as you hook both pickups up the same way. Otherwise, out of phase in the two pickup combination.

GFS needs to standardize their wiring, BTW.

If I ever own or run a pickup company, all the wires will be various shades of white. Sure to throw everyone off in every way.........

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:48:35

Getting ready to cut the pickguard:

You're lucky that the shielding ground wire is separate from the signal ground. Sometimes they combine the two for simplicity's (cheapness) sake. Then if you want to be able to reverse the wiring of one of your pickups to achieve out-of-phase sound, you're left with a hot chassis, which is really hummy.

I have a Gretsch that was like this so I has to decouple the two grounds and make a new one for the pickup chassis ground.

Getting to the point, you might consider making one of them reversible with a switch so you can get the "Peter Green" sound in the middle. It's a good sound with humbuckers. I don't know how those Surf 90s would sound. On my Gretsch, I did it because I found the neck and middle positions too similar. It's an easy way to add versatility.

Pickguard cut:

Mocked up with pickguard:

(drooling intensifies)

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

It's got lifeless eyes.

LIKE A DOLL'S EYES.

Rear covers done. Now just waiting for lacquer to cure for a couple weeks before sanding, polishing and final assembly.

The lacquer has dried for 2 weeks, so I wet sanded the body to 2000 today. It's my least favorite part of any build; tedious and no shiny reward. Best trick I ever learned about wet sanding- buy some of those little birthday candles and drip wax into any holes you've drilled; it prevents water from swelling the wood and cracking the finish (I like to pre-drill most holes so I can test fit the parts before finishing begins). I used to use naptha or mineral spirits, but it stunk up the house.

The next couple days will be polishing & assembly, then set up and try it out.

Polished:

Got it assembled today. At first I got no sound (!), so I double-checked the GFS plug-in pickup connections; sure enough, I didn't have them pushed in far enough. Those little plugs look fragile, but they can take some force. And I may need to get some short intonation springs for the G and low E saddles to set that up better.

Went together easily, and I love those Surf 90s. They have a great sound, less gritty than a P90, but more clear than a humbucker and a lot of range among the 3 settings. This is the second time I've used them, and I'll use them again. Another thing that I'm loving are the Fender Bullet strings. Normally I'd use D'Addarios with the ball ends, but I tried the Bullets, and I can tell they really help the guitar stay in tune compared to other Strats I've had.

Here's a shot of it hanging on the strap, and it hangs fine, no headstock dive. I've left the pickguard plastic on temporarily until I'm satisfied with the setup; that's why it looks shaggy. And yeah, the bathroom has the biggest mirror in the house....

Very cool project! Love that dorsal fin!

I'm amazed at how well this thing stays in tune, even with heavy whammy use. I'm starting to think the Bullets are a must for a Strat-style trem; what do you guys think? Here's a non-flipped image. I'm also working on another design that I'm very stoked about...

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next