Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink JHS Spring Tank reverb pedal

Page 1 of 1

Always curious, I just picked up one of these guys to see how it stacks up against the others.
I kinda like having two different levels of reverb to be able to toggle between.

I don’t own one but played one at my local shop. It’s pretty cool.jhs stuff is usually pretty good, although a bit pricey. The big plus is the dual tank feature. Think of having one setting for rhythm and another for leads. I didn’t put it through all the paces, but if you’ve got the $$$, i say go for it.

PhantomOperators.bandcamp.com
Reverbnation.com/PhantomOperators

PhantomOperators wrote:

I don’t own one but played one at my local shop. It’s pretty cool.jhs stuff is usually pretty good, although a bit pricey. The big plus is the dual tank feature. Think of having one setting for rhythm and another for leads. I didn’t put it through all the paces, but if you’ve got the $$$, i say go for it.

It's not quite as sweet sounding at the Topanga or the MXR but it is definitely a doable option when springs are not!

Have you thought about saving up and maybe go for something for an analog spring reverb pedal? They're still pricey but not as much like getting a vintage tank for example. I have an Orion reverb pedal and it's beautiful sounding, it's not drippy like a tank but has tons of lush and reverb, and gives the classic tank crash if you give the pedal a little kick on the side.

There's nothing with using digital reverb and can still sound great. All I'm saying is if you get real springs for your reverb, your playing abilities will expand since the feel of analog versus digital is a world of difference, from my experience.

HighRoller wrote:

Have you thought about saving up and maybe go for something for an analog spring reverb pedal? They're still pricey but not as much like getting a vintage tank for example. I have an Orion reverb pedal and it's beautiful sounding, it's not drippy like a tank but has tons of lush and reverb, and gives the classic tank crash if you give the pedal a little kick on the side.

There's nothing with using digital reverb and can still sound great. All I'm saying is if you get real springs for your reverb, your playing abilities will expand since the feel of analog versus digital is a world of difference, from my experience.

I Definitely have, and agree. I own a '66 Fender 6G15 reverb unit, a Dr-Z Z-Verb, and a Little Kahuna so my bases are covered in the tubes and springs department. I'm just goofy about reverb and want to experience as many different types as I can!

Ah! Okay, that's neat! I recently got a 1965 Fender tank and can't get enough of it. I plug it into my custom Fender '57 Twin and the sound is just so sweet. Yeah, definitely keep experimenting!

I have always struggled with how to get two levels of reverb in a convenient way and this pedal really takes care of that for me. Not he best spring reverb but it's pretty good and the dual tank makes it the best setup for me. I have been pleased with it.

I just watched RJ Ronquillo’s demo on YouTube and this is impressive, to say the least. I’ve tried a lot of digital spring reverb pedals and I think it’s fair to say that they all have their good points and their limitations. I would opine that the JHS has a lot going for it and the ability to switch between two reverb levels is pretty useful.

The quality of the spring emulation seems pretty good, to my ear. The tone control seemed to have a lot of effect upon the sound. The overall sound seemed quite useful, for all sorts of spring reverb applications.

It strikes me that the control interface is critical for this, and truly all other, pedals. The reverb in my Deluxe Reverb is controlled by one knob, on. 6G15 there are three knobs and some pedals have quite a few more. I tend to favor the simple and obvious approach to control interfaces. This JHS seems to have found a sweet spot on the continuum. What good is a pedal if it’s so fiddly that it can’t be adjusted on the fly?

If I encounter one of these, I’ll give it a good test play.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:24:17

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:23:54

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:23:34

Delrin96mm wrote:

And here's the video - didn't work first time.

Thanks for posting that. BTW, Mr. Moto is a lot of fun to play. It's one of my favorite Surf tunes.

Sorta off-topic ... these reverb threads are so helpful, in unexpected ways. I'm watching the JHS Reverb clips listed here, quite tempted, ready to buy that pedal. Then go down to the music room and start messing with what's already there: a topanga reverb.

My default reverb preference is short of heavy surf drip. Though I love those sounds. So I'm tweaking the Topanga well past the mix and dwell I mostly use (remembering how Mr. Ronquillo set the JHS tank), then A/Bing with the excellent 2 knob reverb in my Allen Encore. And damn if the sweetest sounds aren't already there. Turns out I don't really need a new pedal. What I need to do is experiment more with what I have.

That has happened often. Though I'm mostly not a surf player, listening to surf stuff - clips, discussions, pedal and guitar tryouts - here usually ends up changing my sound for the better. Thanks to all the cool folks here on surfguitar101.

Last edited: May 05, 2019 14:58:04

mad_dog wrote:

Sorta off-topic ... these reverb threads are so helpful, in unexpected ways. I'm watching the JHS Reverb clips listed here, quite tempted, ready to buy that pedal. Then go down to the music room and start messing with what's already there: a topanga reverb.

My default reverb preference is short of heavy surf drip. Though I love those sounds. So I'm tweaking the Topanga well past the mix and dwell I mostly use (remembering how Mr. Ronquillo set the JHS tank), then A/Bing with the excellent 2 knob reverb in my Allen Encore. And damn if the sweetest sounds aren't already there. Turns out I don't really need a new pedal. What I need to do is experiment more with what I have.

That has happened often. Though I'm mostly not a surf player, listening to surf stuff - clips, discussions, pedal and guitar tryouts - here usually ends up changing my sound for the better. Thanks to all the cool folks here on surfguitar101.

I’ve played a lot of reverb pedals in the last year or so and have heard some very impressive sounds, but nothing so far has dislodged my Topanga from its spot on the pedalboard.

I feel the same way, when it comes to pedals the Topanga is tops with the MXR M-300 coming in a close second.

I’ve played a lot of reverb pedals in the last year or so and have heard some very impressive sounds, but nothing so far has dislodged my Topanga from its spot on the pedalboard.

Last edited: May 06, 2019 07:12:39

I feel the same way, when it comes to pedals the Topanga is tops with the MXR M-300 coming in a close second.

Page 1 of 1