Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Offset short-scale for surf, and more

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Ah, that explains. Thanks a lot edwardsand and horax. The VM sounds more interesting to me, especially if the pickups are a bit hotter. It's unlikely any of the new ones will show up here though, and I'm not keen on the current colours of both. Thus it'll have to be second-hand or new old stock from elsewhere anyway.

What's actually the general consensus on the Mustangs? They don't look quite as cool as the Jags, but seem to be a bit smaller/lighter overall.

I don't think there is much of a consensus on Mustaangs here. I have a red Squier VM Mustang which I put an Allparts neck on, and I like it a lot. It is a lighter guitar and easy to sling around.

Some people complain about the slider switches, because it's hard to quickly switch between pickups. The Squier switches actually stick out less than the Fender ones, which is good because it makes it less likely you'll scrape your hands on them. I did not like stock bridge and replaced it with a Fender Mustang bridge. Some people say the Squier tremolo is crap, but mine has been fine so far.

A great thing about them is they are inexpensive and you can change out all the parts you want and not worry about hurting the value of it.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:38:23

Thanks all!

I guess I really want a guitar that I love, and size is an issue for me. So I'm now considering a VM Mustang, maybe a Fender Reissue Mustang. Minor niggle: most affordable ones seem to be blue, which I really wanted to avoid because they're such a clichee... ahem... And very carefully considering a jag-stang as they have these really narrow necks - possibly as a modding project. Not in Blue ;)

You could also look for the Japanese made Mustangs - they also have the narrow necks, which was what they used on the Jag-Stang. I always liked the idea of the Jag-Stang, but to me the body is just too awkward looking.

I actually had a Jag-Stang neck for a while to use on a project guitar, and it was noticeably narrower at the neck than my other guitars. You could try to get one of those necks or a Japanese Mustang neck to put on whatever body you like.

edwardsand wrote:

You could also look for the Japanese made Mustangs - they also have the narrow necks, which was what they used on the Jag-Stang. I always liked the idea of the Jag-Stang, but to me the body is just too awkward looking.

I actually had a Jag-Stang neck for a while to use on a project guitar, and it was noticeably narrower at the neck than my other guitars. You could try to get one of those necks or a Japanese Mustang neck to put on whatever body you like.

Yes, I'm looking at the Japanese Mustangs as well. From my research, the 65 reissues have a 42mm nut like the Squier VM, the 69ers have a slightly smaller nut (around 40ish mm) and from what I read the Jagstangs have an even smaller one, but I could not really confirm that. I'm looking at the cheaper 69ers and might be able to get one within my budget with some tough negotiation. Maybe. Getting a Jag-stang should be easier, considering they are generally not liked Big Grin I do like the shape as it's very female. I'm just worried that the jag-stang is also too big.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2