Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Getting a Fender Reverb Tank

Page 1 of 1

Hey everyone,

I'm gonna be getting myself a vintage Fender tank some time down the line soon, and I'm going for something like a 1964 or a 1965 blackface type, just cause I like that style Smile . Have any of you here got a tank type like that? What are they like? Super drippy?

Can I play the tank by itself or do I need to plug it into a tube amp? The only tube amp I have is a Fender Custom '57 Twin, can I plug a tank into that?

I'm new to like all this surf stuff and learning. Thanks everyone.

I had a 1964 Fender Reverb Tank (blackface) that sounded great. (some don't) I, unfortunately, sold it and regret that to this day. Since I sold it (around 15 yrs ago) I've been chasing that sound. I've had 3 different reissue tanks, tons of diff pedals (topanga x3, Boss FRV x3, flint, holy grail x3, reverberator, etc) - NOW I'm using a Source Audio True Spring pedal and just accept the True Spring for what it is and it seems to work ok.

Last edited: Mar 07, 2019 14:34:38

Hey Highroller,

I've been using one of the '63 Reissues so I can't speak to the '64 or '65. But I wanted to pass along a tidbit that I came across frequently when researching these tanks — I've been told often that the specific spring pan in the tank does make a big difference, and that you could buy multiple spring pans of the same make/model and they may well sound different (just like guitars).

Said another way, if you get an outboard reverb unit, and it doesn't sound good, it's worth trying a new spring pan before ditching the unit.

You can't play the tank by itself — look at it like a big reverb pedal. It's meant to be plugged into the front end of the amp — it would probably sound sweet through your Custom '57 Twin.

Hope you find something you like, I went through about seven different reverb pedals before deciding to go with the tank, won't go back now (but I would definitely use the True Spring if I didn't have the tank, derekirving!)

Mark Brody — Strange Waters
Adore Us on Facebook
Get Our Music on Bandcamp

Last edited: Mar 07, 2019 14:48:05

Hi Hightroller,
Jazzflats is right. The pans vary widely,thus 2 identical units can sound a lot different. I have the 65 blackface as does my buddy Ferenc (Frankie and the Poolboys) and we love it. Plug your guitar or effects board into the tank and you can run it into anything, tube amp, solid state, direct into a recorder - no matter what it'll sound better with it then without it.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

If you can get a good quality real vintage tank affordably, more power to you, and in addition to the advice above (plus what will follow I'm sure) be aware that vintage units require some care and feeding, as well as a risk of maybe some "remedial" attention being needed in case any well-meaning but uninformed amp tech has had access to it.

Case in point: I've owned a '65 unit since the early 80's but it was never really "right" (other than the price at the time), so although it did the job, I had little to compare it to and only just recently was able to pinpoint some longstanding issues and correct them with the sage advice of some great amp techs thanks to the innernet... here's the story of what that entailed, with the caveat that if you aren't comfortable working with this kind of antiquated higher voltage tube circuitry, find a good trustworthy amp tech nearby to check it out for you:

https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=105550

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Stoopy wrote:

...here's the story of what that entailed...

https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=105550

That was EPIC!! What a great read, a real nail biter. Thanks for sharing.

Not to give the ending away, but congratulations on a job well done.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Thanks Tim - not to steal any attention from the OP's thread, just saying this could be the kind of stuff you (or your amp tech) might have to deal with, HighRoller, if you get a unit with a checkered past.

But is it worth it? HELL YEAH!!!!!!

But, But.. I should also mention that while all that was going on, I was also building a Surfy Bear kit as a backup and reference platform. Was that worth it? HELL YEAH TOO!!!

Last edited: Mar 07, 2019 18:48:19

There are also options for new 6g15’s too. Kits, or a couple manufacturers (a couple of the good ones are out the game) making faithful, spot on replicas of the 60’s units. So you can have the exact thing, without the headaches of owning something old that may require more knowledge to care for or maintain.

Reverb tanks are a worm hole you can disappear down for a long time. Make sure you leave a trail of crumbs so you can find your way back to your loved ones.

Someone will mention a Surfy Bear soon. It's a worthwhile consideration.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

da-ron wrote:

Someone will mention a Surfy Bear soon. It's a worthwhile consideration.

^^ 2 3 posts up Big Grin

Last edited: Mar 08, 2019 09:23:08

My first tank (in 1965) was a brown '62 that I eventually sold in the '80's at a time when I was no longer playing surf music. It did what it was supposed to do, no issues.

In 1995 I bought a new reissue tank that I used a lot and still have. It works and sounds just as good as the old one did and after replacing the el cheapo tubes that it came with to quality EHX ones a couple years ago, the difference really was noticeable in a good way. And it has been 100% reliable for the past 24 years.

My point is, unless you insist on having vintage gear, a well-kept used reissue with good tubes will save you some $$ and should perform up to or beyond your expectations.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Okay everyone, I went and got myself an original 1965 tank. Thank you all so much for the recommendations and suggestions. I'm gonna have tons of fun playing the tank with my twin amp once it arrives!

I'll stay posted. Smile

Congrats! That was quick! Would love to see & hear what ya got!

Page 1 of 1