Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink The Metal Thread

Page 1 of 1

Surf rock kicks ass, there's no denying it. But there's another genre with fast guitars, cool tremolo riffing, and energetic playing.

METAL

Share your favorite heavy tunes.

Haiduk (once described as "Dick Dale on steroids") kicks it off with some evil tremolo black metal!

I hate 99% of all metal, but there is that sliver of it exists that really floats my boat! It’s weirdly called Depressive Black Metal (DPBM?) but there’s nothing depressing about it to me. I also like lots of folk metal and some viking metal. Pirate metal sounds far more promising than it is. I also cannot listen to those grindcore bands with animal singers, but I love that they exist.

I listen to this stuff about ever 4 or 5 months (or less), usually when I’m feeling intense. It helps to calm me down!

I dislike “anger metal,” which is almost all of it. I prefer “pain metal,” being more focused on the pain of existence. Which is something I identify with.

I also don’t care for fast metal, I like super slow and sludgy.

Oh yeah - and usually very lo-fi. Even home recorded! Also, some of the bands are nationalist assholes (like the otherwise fun band Drudkh), but I can still relate to the depth of emotion in the music.

Examples - NOT IN ORDER!
There are many other examples (some very surfy) but here are four. I did not include giants of the genre Xasthur and Striborg - both one man bands that record their albums at home and have like 30 LPs.

Spektr - more hi-fi than most DPBM, also faster and more experimental

I Shalt Become - what’s there to say. This dude is a total freak and I love it.

Abyssic Hate - This music speaks directly to my tortured soul.

Nocturnal Depression - This stuff is beautiful to me.

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019 01:19:19

Metal rules Cool

More gain - scoop the mid's

How about Hindu Metal - There is actually a metal movement in India

This blows my mind.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

The one and only, DEATH.
Here one excerpt from each album.
R.I.P. Chuck.

You show up HERE and this is your first post? Oh brother.

Happy Sunsets!

tahitijack wrote:

You show up HERE and this is your first post? Oh brother.

I was so enthusiastic that I missed that completely! You're so right, tahitijack, bad etiquette.
We're nice and welcoming, I think this thread can exist, even though similar have been posted before. let's leave it up to the mods.

So, haiduk, what do you like about surf music? The track you posted is impressive, but is not even close to Dick Dale. His power, aggressiveness and attitude tramples and crushes any and all modern metal.

Described as Dick Dale on steroids by someone who obviously never went to a Dick Dale show. Dick Dale on steroids is just more Dick Dale!

That said, here's something I like:

I can appreciate the virtuosity of the guitar players, I started in classical piano so I do worship the gods of speed. I'm also a vocalist and know how the scream, the metal singers have advance this R&R tradition to an art form that demonstrates just how incredible the human voice is. Do I buy or listen to metal? Nope, other than when prowling around YouTube looking for new bands and music Metal is not on my radar.

I think haiduk posted here to get some of us to look at his YouTube video.... there is a word for that.

Happy Sunsets!

Ariel wrote:

The one and only, DEATH.
Here one excerpt from each album.
R.I.P. Chuck.

SOLID GOLD. RIP indeed. Cry

Awesome to see metalheads here. I'm more into the faster and darker end of it. Dimmu Borgir kick ass but I find the symphony elements annoying...

Ariel wrote:

We're nice and welcoming, I think this thread can exist, even though similar have been posted before. let's leave it up to the mods.

So, haiduk, what do you like about surf music? The track you posted is impressive, but is not even close to Dick Dale. His power, aggressiveness and attitude tramples and crushes any and all modern metal.

I like the unmistakable reverb sound, the speed, the picking style, Dick Dale, and how it's a snapshot of a time/era.

Some fast riffing in honor of Mr Dale

You can't compare the picking of metal guitar to surf guitar. One uses thin gauge strings and chains of distortion and other than speed is fairly effortless. Dick Dale is heavy gauge strings that have to be hit hard to get them to ring through a clean amp.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

The comparison between surf and metal doesn't go too far in my opinion. I agree with Stratdancer on the technique. The similarity is kind of superficial. Surf bands can certainly be heavy and fast but it's really more of a percussive thing than with metal.

For what it's worth I do like that Death seems to have found a new generation of appreciators. Chuck Schuldner always stood out. Since you're asking, these days if I'm listening to metal it's slow and low, anti surf, any Justin K. Broderick project, Sleep, Melvins and always and forever Sabbath (no Vol. 4 is not as good as Master Of Reality despite the hipster t-shirts, it's good, but it's second place).

Ok, enough of this metal talk.

The Vicissitones
Diesel Marine
The Rasputones

Page 1 of 1