Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink G&L pickups & PTB are awesome

Page 1 of 1

I just swapped the stock ceramic pickups and wiring out of my MIM Strat and replaced the whole thang with parts from a G&L Legacy Tribute. I'm not totally sure but I think the Tribute models get the same pickups as the American made ones.

It was a transformation of immense joy and wonder! The G&L alnicos are so much sweeter sounding and that Passive Treble Bass system.. oh my god. I'm almost embarrassed for Fender that they're still using their silly old setup. The PTB offers so much more versatility and is an utter joy to fool around with. The neck pickup in particular is rendered chameleonlike by this circuit. It goes from boomy to Ernie Isley in zero flat with a twist of the bass knob.

Hats off to G&L once again. Every encounter I have with their products leaves me totally impressed and appreciative of their dedication to doing everything Fender does but doing it better.

Tributes do use (I think they still do, anyway) the same pickups as G&L, part of what makes them a great value.
I had a tribute classic that did not seem like a $500 guitar. I had Rio Grandes put in, and while they sounded great, they were not an improvement on the stock G&L pickups.
Glad you're digging them.

Page 1 of 1