Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink Call for discussion: For Sale / Trade forum rules updates

Page 1 of 1

I've had some good feedback from a trusted long-time user about updating the rules for this forum. The existing rules are here. Are there any changes or additions you would like to see?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Most post price in ad.
Must be a member for a certain time or number of posts before one is allowed to post an ad.
No external links (unless off site photo hosting): Craigslist or reverb etc.
You may only send your own gear/records, no advertising for anybody else.

That’s all I have off the top of my head, if you’re looking for opinions.
We all know I’m not shy with my own thoughts, for better or worse.

Chippertheripper wrote:

Linking can be great way to alert everybody if one of us comes across something cool, regardless if it's an item from a member or not.
Just a thought.

Should have the exact city and state (or country) of the seller.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Feb 07, 2019 12:51:16

Chippertheripper wrote:

Most post price in ad.
Must be a member for a certain time or number of posts before one is allowed to post an ad.

That’s all I have off the top of my head, if you’re looking for opinions.
We all know I’m not shy with my own thoughts, for better or worse.

I agree with Chipper. Dealing with a reasonably established SG101 member avoids possible scamming by an unknown person whose first (and usually only) post is to sell something. This isn't Reverb.com.

Just my opinion.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Feb 07, 2019 15:23:58

I'd say not to be too restrictive about new members posting for sale - I had been a lurker on the forums for a long time before joining and actually posting, and soon after joining I did have something I wanted to sell. I think I'd made 10 posts or so by that time. But there is always the risk of someone joining, making a few comments and then trying to scam people by posting an item for sale. Maybe a minimum of 40 posts or something?

Definitely require people to post a price - put things up and soliciting interest is quite annoying and a waste of peoples' time.

I'm fine with people posting links to things on Reverb or ebay - it's nice to be alerted when something rare or special shows up for sale.

My suggestions:
Must include price.
Must include geographic area.
Must not delete ad after sale.
Must mark as sold after sale.
Must not delete asking price after sale.
Nice to add on what medium was the item sold (many of us cross post, I usually update the post if it was sold on the forum, Craiglist, Facebook Market Place, etc).
Minimum number of messages would be nice, but let's make it pretty low...

Thanks,
Ran

The Scimitars

Recommend to donate portion of proceeds (1-2%?) to SG101.com

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

Last edited: Feb 07, 2019 21:15:22

How many bumps by the seller is reasonable? Some sales seam to get bumped 1,482 times before a sale. I don't mind a seller post update on price or description or change to the description such as new tubes, set up or other changes to the condition.

Happy Sunsets!

Just curious, but how serious is "scamming" on this site? Does it happen that often? And is it only by new members?

Thanks for the input. I'm currently inclined to revise the rules along what Ran has suggested. I can't easily enforce a minimum post thing, and it may not always be a good thing. But you can look at their post count and judge accordingly.

Just curious, but how serious is "scamming" on this site? Does it happen that often? And is it only by new members?

It doesn't happen often at all. I know of only one case where some new member started sending private messages to people who showed interest in other for sale threads. He of course had a similar item with a lower price. And he sure had a lot of items!

Is it only by new members? Well, yes otherwise they wouldn't stick around if there was some controversy over their behavior. We did have one case where a fairly active member (a moderate post count) (and someone I met in person) accepted money for some items but never followed through in delivering the goods. Was it a scam or just some guy being flaky? I'm not sure but he disappeared soon after that, so who knows, was he hit by a bus?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

Thanks for the input. I'm currently inclined to revise the rules along what Ran has suggested. I can't easily enforce a minimum post thing, and it may not always be a good thing. But you can look at their post count and judge accordingly.

It doesn't happen often at all. I know of only one case where some new member started sending private messages to people who showed interest in other for sale threads. He of course had a similar item with a lower price. And he sure had a lot of items!

Is it only by new members? Well, yes otherwise they wouldn't stick around if there was some controversy over their behavior. We did have one case where a fairly active member (a moderate post count) (and someone I met in person) accepted money for some items but never followed through in delivering the goods. Was it a scam or just some guy being flaky? I'm not sure but he disappeared soon after that, so who knows, was he hit by a bus?

You bring up a good point. Rules are worthless unless they can be enforced and I doubt that anyone wants the full-time job of reviewing every sale post/thread for compliance. My take on this is a very clearly worded statement to the effect that the forum does not promote, endorse or discourage sales. It functions like a literal bulletin board. Caveat emptor.

When I see a for sale post, I take into account all sort of things. There are people that post a for sale thread as their first ever post. I wouldn't part with money unless I had additional protection, such as eBay, in such a case. Some people drop by to sell whatever they are selling and rarely post otherwise. In at least one case, I have a lot of confidence in this particular guy; he just buys and sells a lot of gear. But, once again, caveat emptor. Everyone has to make their own choice.

The most important thing is making certain that no one expects the forum to become involved if a sale goes bad.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1