Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surfy Bear Reverb competitor?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

just received an email with this. Is this the start of the clones?

Element Spring Reverb

crmartin wrote:

just received an email with this. Is this the start of the clones?

Element Spring Reverb

It uses a digital reverb chip instead of a spring pan, so no, not a clone. Also, their goal is to replicate on-board reverb, not the external tank.

Looking at the video it seems to have a choice of 3 spring pads.
Interesting concept.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Interesting that the long pan is a three spring, not a two (I was always under the impression that the two spring pans "drip" more). I know that some folks here have built their own Surfy Bears have done "separates" and put the pan under their pedal board and Surfy now makes the Surfy Pedal Metal for use on a pedal board but I wonder if Surfy would consider taking it one step further and make a unit in a pedal to be wired up to a separate pan like the Element.

Surfy-Bear is an exact clone of the 6G15 circuit used in the classic '63 unit, using FET's instead of tubes and PCB instead of wires, nothing else. Anything else will be a compromise, in terms of recreating THAT sound.

So, not a direct competitor (and lacks the ever important Dwell control) but it is analog and I guess will sound good, why not. Someone needs to connect it to a 4AB pan (if impedances allow) and see how it drips.

Yes, the concept is great, I've done so myself, and Surfy-Industries sure would benefit if they sell their own circuit in pedal form, on top of their other offerings.
The DIY aspect, the community support, and the gracious people behind it, will forever have my loyalty.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019 12:45:10

Putting the Surfy in a pedal form seems like a no brainer. Hypothetically, you could put a pan inside a combo amp and run it to the Surfy pedal.

Surfadelphia wrote:

Putting the Surfy in a pedal form seems like a no brainer. Hypothetically, you could put a pan inside a combo amp and run it to the Surfy pedal.

If I may, you can take this one step further. Put the whole circuit in your combo amp and either buy or build a DripSwitch for your pedal board.

Thread on how to build your own.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Wow. A combo amp with a dwell knob!???!!!!

Daniel Deathtide

I wouldn't be surprised to see that pedal disassembled and find Surfybear on the pcb. Smile

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:30:17

Surfadelphia wrote:

Pedal form? Like this?

https://www.surfyindustries.com/index.php

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019 11:18:50

Here's my exploration of the Anasounds, its not a 6g15 or surfybear replacement, but i think it has some serious potential as a spring reverb.

http://dinosaurghost.bandcamp.com/
http://sixtycyclehum.podbean.com

Interesting use of English on that website!

I get the impression this pedal uses a chip (op-amp) for the circuit, rather than the FETs that the Surfy Bear uses. The Surfy Bear FETs are set up to behave like tubes, which provides the drip. If this pedal uses an opamp rather than FETs then I suspect the drip will be less pronounced.

Just guessing, really. This pedal looks like a typical solid state reverb unit that uses a pan, rather than the Surfy Bear which uses the tube circuitry adapted for solid state devices. The difference is subtle, but it's what make the SB so unique. Fender didn't even think to try it.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

I got the impression, from their responses elsewhere, that they weren’t looking to make a recreation of a 6g15.
They wanted this to be its own thing.

Ryan, the addition of that blend knob for the “drive” would be perfect.

Yeah, gotta remember, most players aren't necessarily looking for the DRIP, just a nice, natural reverb (which the SB can also supply btw).

Ryan, good to see you back posting here! By the comments, seems like you've become Youtube's reverb connoisseur...

Big_Ryan wrote:

Here's my exploration of the Anasounds, its not a 6g15 or surfybear replacement, but i think it has some serious potential as a spring reverb.

Thanks for posting that, Ryan. It’s a great sounding setup and I was shocked by how good that little pan could sound. No, it’s not a 6G15 wannabe, but who cares? It sounds fantastic and the novelty factor is off the scale. You could mount that smallest pan on top of a pedalboard and have a very interesting setup, both sonically and visually.

Ariel wrote:

Yeah, gotta remember, most players aren't necessarily looking for the DRIP, just a nice, natural reverb (which the SB can also supply btw).

Good point. The 6G15 sounds great, but it’s not the only good sound out there. Anasound states that they are going for something more along the lines of the reverb built into a Twin. There’s nothing working with a Twin’s reverb. My Twin has fantastic sounding reverb, and I’m using a 9” pan, to boot.

I like drip, but there’s more to life than just that. I actually prefer the sound of Plate reverb for many things, but this little spring pedal sounds surprisingly good to my ear.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Reminds me of the tiny, 9V powered Monacor Rev-1.
Link

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Nice video, Ryan! There's enough room in the world for more spring reverb units. Fender and Surfy Bear aren't the only games in town. Sure they are the standards, but it's nice to have options.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:32:07

I've got a '63 Reissue outboard (circa 2007) that is my go-to device for classic surf reverb, but it was acting up on me here recently, so I went to the trouble and cost of buying virtually every known alternative, just for grins, knowing that I could sell either or all of them afterwards if I needed to. That included the following three devices:

1) SurfyBear Classic
2) Boss FRV-1
3) CatalinBread Topanga

I've since resolved the issue with my '63 outboard, and it remains my go-to, more than ever, and I'll admit that what follows here is no more than my own personal opinion, but after putting them all through their paces, if I couldn't locate or afford a '63 outboard, my vote would be for the CatalinBread Topanga. Its subtle, and arguably a rather subjective evaluation, but as small and as cost-effective as it is, the Topanga is the closest of the three in overall sound (splash and drip), to my '63 Reissue outboard.

"Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it." - Boris the Blade

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 13:48:00

Goto Page: 1 2 Next