Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Band Uniforms!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Alice Bowie

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019 09:45:31

Agent71857 wrote:

Btw. Our gear is all in the same gang too! We got the amp grilles and drum head from vintage logos. They did a great job! Not expensive either. I think uniforms are great. It’s important to project an image on stage especially for instrumental bands. We often don’t talk at all on stage our drummer will make occasional announcements Thru a bullhorn. So the image we project visually is really key.

LOVE the Drum and Amp images....looks GREAT !!!!

Can I have everything louder than everything else!

https://thesurfaces1.bandcamp.com/releases

stratdancer wrote:

Alice Bowie

Damn!!!....I can't unsee that...... Wink

Can I have everything louder than everything else!

https://thesurfaces1.bandcamp.com/releases

Huntington Cads at SG101 were a knockout. The white shoes were a nice touch.

image width="100%"

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019 10:28:24

so much good stuff here. after mulling over it, I think we'll start with something simple like "white shirt & black tie" and see where we go from there. I'd love to do matching suits but it's a bit of an investment! and oh the amp grill/drumhead.

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

Huntington Cads at SG101 were a knockout. The white shoes were a nice touch.

image width="100%"

SNAZZY!

Daniel Deathtide

We enjoyed our silver suit era the best out of all the outfits we've tried. Since we're on permanent hiatus feel free to use the look for your own bands, we were hardly the first. The suits were on Ebay for about $80 each.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

It’s about putting on a show, so uniforms only help. I especially liked the Fezes and sunglasses. I’ve seen MBP live and love the costumes. They are all part of the shtick, which MPB lays on pretty thick.

We’ve never had a uniform as such, although we occasionally wear matching black shirts. One problem for me, at least where store bought clothes are concerned, is that I’m long waisted and usually wear a tall sized shirt. There are some nice embroidered Western shirts out there, but tall sizes don't seem to be in the picture. Had I the money for custom tailoring, I’d go for a Nudie Suit and nice cowboy boots, for me, and the other Lug Nuts. But then again, I wear Western cut shirts to my day job.

One thing I appreciate greatly is bands that don’t settle for faded jeans and a T shirt. In my Country Rock phase, I sort of went after that look, sometimes with an open flannel shirt, but it looked not so good on me.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Last edited: Apr 06, 2019 17:59:59

I want to have a band of guys wearing barrels and suspenders,
But it might hinder playing ease.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

I want to have a band of guys wearing barrels and suspenders,
But it might hinder playing ease.

In the eighties, there was a guy that went to Denver Broncos home games in a barrel. You might be able to play guitar that way if you could safely rest the guitar against the barrel. Great idea, Tiki Man.

Les Agamemnonz took band uniforms to a new dimension at SG101 last year. I ran into one of them in the restroom at Alpine Village. I wanted to ask him what it was like playing onstage while wearing the tunics or togas, but I didn't know how to how to say "freeballin'" in French!

The Mentawais with red-white and matching sunburst guitars

Umar
The Mentawais
The Rentones

matt wrote:

things are looking up for my band; we have tentatively landed a monthly gig at a new tiki bar in town, which would do wonders for our momentum. we technically have a "uniform"

the dickies work shirt & hat. However, the drummer keep losing them, I haven't been very strict about it.

I'm thinking about a change! we've been doing a lot of spy type stuff lately, considering a white shirt/black tie/fedora type thing.

what do you think? who all manages to get a bunch of grownups to wear costumes? Smile

From my youth,( high school and jr college)~ 1963to '69 the surf bands usually wore suits and white shirts, and black skinny ties with penny loafer shoes. For awhile some wore Nehru style suit jackets. On stage. Well not all of them, but enough did that, that's what I remember anyway.
But come to think about it, and to tell the truth, the sixties were really a fashionable time for youth styles.

Joelman wrote:

matt wrote:

things are looking up for my band; we have tentatively landed a monthly gig at a new tiki bar in town, which would do wonders for our momentum. we technically have a "uniform"

the dickies work shirt & hat. However, the drummer keep losing them, I haven't been very strict about it.

I'm thinking about a change! we've been doing a lot of spy type stuff lately, considering a white shirt/black tie/fedora type thing.

what do you think? who all manages to get a bunch of grownups to wear costumes? Smile

From my youth,( high school and jr college)~ 1963to '69 the surf bands usually wore suits and white shirts, and black skinny ties with penny loafer shoes. For awhile some wore Nehru style suit jackets. On stage. Well not all of them, but enough did that, that's what I remember anyway.
But come to think about it, and to tell the truth, the sixties were really a fashionable time for youth styles.

Yep. A lot of the bands from the old days were sharp dressers.

kruelkats wrote:

The Mentawais with red-white and matching sunburst guitars

Fantastic look!! I really love it. I wonder what a female member would use - there are no women in any of these photos! Those 50s band photos I saw had all women in gowns...

Daniel Deathtide

We were going with coon skin hats and swim fins.

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 12:09:57

I definitely think the surf band uniform is all part of the vibe (nostalgia) we try to put across. Doesn't need to be custom tailored suits (but would be great if the budget allows). It shows the audience that we do put a bit of effort in and we care about what we do. Combine that with a few choreographed moves - people love that stuff.
What's the old musician saying? "always dress better than your audience".

If I ever get my band back off the ground I was thinking of going with these - Big Grin

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

SPF4 at Starlite with Vanna Vroom. Image copyright Artrocity

http://spf-4.com

-SPF4 on Facebook-

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 12:46:44

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next