SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Emilien03: https://www....
207 days ago

Tqi: Oy, Fender, Orange. One of you, make a 20W starved-plate valve bass amp. Like an Origin 20 with a big OT.
158 days ago

Remora: New member here saying hello
123 days ago

Clint: Ever try to explain “surf music” to friends? A Day at the Beach Podcast #150 can do this for you. It explains how it got started and ends with today’s modern bands and much more. Please share with those unaware… https://www....
115 days ago

synchro: Hello Remora.
104 days ago

dragonfly: Dick Dale was my best friend and my rock. I loved him unconditionally and he will be greatly missed. R.I.P. dear one you deserve it.
65 days ago

TheAmpFibian: People are always shocked to find out how bad of an electrician I am.
55 days ago

dragonfly: Pic of the day HBSM Jam 2012 was during my tenure. OMG do I miss those days but nowadays I couldn't handle it. No
38 days ago

dragonfly: Pic of the day OMG how I loved The Torquays and miss them very much. Yes
22 days ago

simoncoil: FWIW my guess for the ending of GoT was a surprising "Invasion fo the Dragonmen" (Hey-ho, hey-ho ...)
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

39%

39%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink rural auction score: Kent Electric Bass

Page 1 of 1

I picked a dirty but reasonably intact Kent "Electric Bass" this weekend at a auction in rural Virginia. The cost, let us say I couldn't pass it up AND it came with what seems to be a vintage (non-chipboard) hardshell case. The bass is a definitely a "knockoff" of a Fender model and was made not in Japan but in Korea.

As for condition, it's been used....hard. Two of the tuning machine keys are missing yet the tuning machine covers and gears are still intact. (Does anyone know if I can just replace the missing keys?)

The pickguard is cracked and missing an inch of two just above the input jack but enough of it remains that I will be able to trace and cut a new one, an exact replacement (WD doesn't sell them as far as I know). If anyone knows of a source for a replacement pickguard please chime in.

Also missing are the Vol & Tone pots, I'll have to get new ones.

Frets aren't worn to the point of needing replacement but can use some shaping, a plus is there are no dents dings to back of the neck. The body shows wear, numerous scuffs, light scratches and dings/dents along with a missing chip of paint or two.

I don't know much about bass guitars this being my first, I've never played one never mind picked one up or held one. From what I've seen online this appears to be a "short-scale" version of a Fender Precision Bass. Am I correct? (see pics).

If anyone has an info or feedback please post and educate me on my find.

I don't know if I'll be keeping this, if anyone is a Kent fan and is interested in it please PM me.

In the meantime I'll be cleaning her up and sourcing parts including pickguard material (possibly GFS/Guitarfetish).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019 02:24:41

Cool bass! I do love a project. Though I don't know anything about that one. But what if you kept the pickguard and just converted it to a metal cover where it's broken off, like a Jag? Same shape as stock, just metal.

I reckon you'd have a hell of a time finding tuning keys to match those existing ones.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019 21:04:18

Redfeather wrote:

Cool bass! I do love a project. Though I don't know anything about that one. But what if you kept the pickguard and just converted it to a metal cover where it's broken off, like a Jag? Same shape as stock, just metal.

I reckon you'd have a hell of a time finding tuning keys to match those existing ones.

Thanks for the idea on the metal as a replacement for the missing piece of pickguard, sad thing is I disposed of some sheet stainless when packing for my recent move from the N.Y./N.J. Metro Area to rural Virginia. I had some perfect pieces, from the sides of a bus/coach.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019 03:11:25

bump

Just wondering if anyone has come across or new members have any info on this bass.

http://www.kentfoto.com/music/KentGuitars/

It is one of the later Korean made Kent basses. Several manufacturers made guitars for Kent including the much loved Swedish surf guitar manufacturer Hagstrom.

If the neck is good keep it and rebuild it with hagstrom/Kent parts. Keep the original pickups.

Looking for new surf bands to record, play and promote.
Sharawaji Records
Surf Rock Radio

The strings are skewed on the fretboard, i.e., not parallel to the edge of the neck. The G string is almost off the fretboard at the high frets. The two saddles look off center. The simplest possible solution may be interchanging the two saddles, so that the E-A saddle becomes the D-G saddle and vice-versa. From appearances this may suffice. If not, maybe the D-G saddle can be turned upside down and the saddle post put in from the opposite side.

The Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Squid wrote:

The strings are skewed on the fretboard, i.e., not parallel to the edge of the neck. The G string is almost off the fretboard at the high frets. The two saddles look off center. The simplest possible solution may be interchanging the two saddles, so that the E-A saddle becomes the D-G saddle and vice-versa. From appearances this may suffice. If not, maybe the D-G saddle can be turned upside down and the saddle post put in from the opposite side.

Thank you very much for all the info and the tips. I've been offline dealing with the new home, haven't had much time to surf the web but I appreciate your efforts and will keep all here apprised of my project.

You're welcome. I see that your bass has two bad tuners.

I replaced two bad tuners on a Korean-made "Global brand" bass guitar from the 1970s because the tuning pegs cracked. I bought a set of four metal bass guitar tuners through Ebay, sent from China, and I replaced the two bad tuners entirely. These tuners don't match the appearance of the originals, but that's ok. Sometimes when I replace tuners I have to enlarge the receptacle hole (using a portable electric drill), but that's not much work. However it seems there is always "something" that makes repairs complicated.

The neck on that Korean Global bass was much thicker than on my other basses, so that I never cared to play it. So I thinned the neck and refinished it with Formby's Tung Oil (from a local hardware store). That worked well, it's much improved, and the tung oil finish feels like satin.

The Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: May 15, 2019 12:39:01

Page 1 of 1