Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink What do you think is the hardest Surf Instrumental to play or perform?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

Slacktone - Brian's Beached Piano, still the hardest after many years even with help from Dave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bvPxWJUK0

Yeah Dave Wronski is amazing, I have watched few of his videos like this before (I never noticed to now the Rythmn switch is gone on that Jag) there is a blank there now, must be modified or he runs them wide open etc..I never saw this video before thanks for the link.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 15:51:22

He slowed this one down so you can see how its played

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 16:08:31

I believe he said it is wired like a Telecaster with a .22 tone cap.

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

Yeah Dave Wronski is amazing, I have watched few of his videos like this before (I never noticed to now the Rythmn switch is gone on that Jag) there is a blank there now, must be modified or he runs them wide open etc..I never saw this video before thanks for the link.

Oh wow I will have to check that out

One song I like that seemed hard when I first started is Storm Surf - I love playing this one. The lesson of the guy on the bottom has made many videos like this one that helped me a lot with getting on track with Surf Techniques etc....Good pace to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_LuRFHzU-ofioVSnd9KqJA

Squad Car. The high multi-string part is so difficult for my fingers!

Daniel Deathtide

Yeah I swear I play Storm Surf different then this training video - I play along with the CD and its Open E //// the E ///// on the A string at the 7th fret then down to D ///// at 5th fret on the A string as well (At least the record sounds like those were same notes tonality wise. I'm sure all the notes were not played on the E string like this. (Same notes different tonality etc) No biggie ...but I like the original recorded version better and more fun to play that way (its like Wipeout - all the different ways to play that one.) Then you keep the same progression on the A string

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 17:41:42

DeathTide wrote:

It looks like just fourths or double-stops starting on the E and B string at the 5th fret then 7th & 8th I think...that's how I play it anyway ...but I've seen three different ways to play this song in the same key ...take your pick and play it the way you want I guess.

I might have to review this one - I'm not sure If I learned The Belair's version or Eddie's later recording ?

It's easier to play A on the 5th fret for the main intro riff on the low E string and not like Bertrand played it open on the A string. I want to make video of that one some day from the players perspective to show that technique etc. The Rockabilly solo is hard too.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 19:24:25

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 20:41:26

DeathTide wrote:

Interesting. I don’t have trouble with that part - it’s the low trem picking passages that give me grief on that one.

Merlin wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

Interesting. I don’t have trouble with that part - it’s the low trem picking passages that give me grief on that one.

It’s my arms and fingers. I had a horrible bout of tendinitis in 1997 (from computer use) and since then I can’t play with a bent arm, or my elbow starts hurting. So I play like Nirvana, which makes it difficult to hit certain “chordy” stuff.

But I have no problem with that tremolo part! In fact I love it, including creating alternate picking patterns. Some versions have a little “gallop” in the lead, it’s not a straight 16/4 tremolo picking.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Same here. I found that tremolo picking on a single string is most effetive, when the movement of the wrist/pick is as little as possible. So I "trained" myself in this direction. However this gets in the way, when playing double stops.

But even in the rare moments where I get closer playing-wise problems start on the side of tone: double stops trem picked can get sobluch brighter than single strings...

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4