Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
166 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
18 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
18 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New project- Jazzcaster

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I decided it was time for a new project, something 'surfy' but different. I figured a Jazzcaster would fit the bill; here's what's been ordered:

Warmoth alder body routed for Tele pups and a Jazz/Jag tremolo
Allparts TRO-FAT Tele neck
All Fender hardware, including an American Professional Jazz/Jag 9.5 radius bridge
Squier CV 50s pups (to start)
920D Tele controls
TUSQ XL nut & string tree
D'Addario 10-48 flatwound Chromes
Colors: Body will be Fiat 500 'Verde Libero E Bello' light green, neck will be amber tint, both in nitro lacquer

Issues so far:
a) WD Bigsby bridge plate won't work; wrong positioning of the pickup. Sent it back & ordered a Fender/Bigsby version.
b) Looks like the Fender Jazz/Jag thimbles (Fender # 00544447049) I ordered were made or packaged wrong. Should be .353" dia., but these measure .375. Contacted seller to try to resolve.

The Warmoth body & Allparts neck fit together beautifully.
Finishing the body is the next step, Oregon weather permitting.

Yeah baby. I have a similar project in the works.

I almost wish I’d kept mine together.
A telemaster is a fun instrument for sure. Enjoy.

This ended up with a mastery bridge pretty quickly, this was the first pic when I put it together.

Nice rig Chipper; why did you take it apart?

1: I bought a jazzmaster.
2: I put those bits back together in their original tele form...the first guitar I ever assembled. It’s like an old friend at this point. P

Getting the neck tint and body color shot (2015 FIAT 500 green). FYI, I found out that the WD Music Bigsby bridge plate doesn't work with the Tele bridge pup and Jazzmaster thimble placement. Sent it back and got the Allparts version, which does. The CV50s bridge pup I bought on ebay had been messed with, so I got a Fender American Vintage '52 set.

Clear coats are on, 5-ply pickguard is shaped. Still need to cut & fit to the bridge plate & bevel the edges.

Pickguard with all cutouts:

Pickguard beveled:

Looks great. Can’t wait to hear it.

Jimbo

Neck wet sanded & polished:

Nice job. Looks flawless.

Got the tuners on, and a Fender "Jazzcaster" decal applied.

Body wet sanded & polished:

Great color and amazing work sir. Damn.

Of all the skills I never pursued, guitar making and woodworking is one I really regret not starting early. (Or starting at all, in a serious way.)

Daniel Deathtide

Thanks DeathTide.

I'm just the opposite; I wish I would have taken up the guitar at a much younger age. But putting together guitars can be done at any age- I started when I was 57.

That’s wonderful to hear. I’m 46 and in the center streak of a lucrative work run, but when it ends - guitar making and amp building hobbies will arise! I’m hoping just a few more years if this job lasts that long.

Dan Izen

Daniel Deathtide

Nice project!

I have a Jazzcaster MJT kit on order and I wish I would have had it routed for a JM/Jag Trem. I'm trying to decide whether to get a Bigsby for it or just assemble it and sell it to fund a proper Jazzmaster instead

Looking good...that's some impressive work. Investing in the Fender American Vintage '52 pu set was a good choice.

ifallalot wrote:

Nice project!

I have a Jazzcaster MJT kit on order and I wish I would have had it routed for a JM/Jag Trem. I'm trying to decide whether to get a Bigsby for it or just assemble it and sell it to fund a proper Jazzmaster instead

You could still route it for a JM trem, either yourself or by MJT I suppose.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next