Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Player Jaguar

Page 1 of 1

Sorry if I missed it, but I
can't find any discussion
of this relatively new series.
I spotted a mint tidepool blue
one on my local Craigslist and
I got it for $275. I was
surprised by the nice sound
of the HS pickup configuration.
To my ears it retains the Jaguar
sound with added strength.
It plays really well. I was
looking for a short-scale
every day player for
daily practice. A few
weeks ago I almost paid
close to this much for a
Squire Jag. I also have a
modded Classic Player Jag and
a Mosrite reissue. I'm glad I
bought this Player Jag. It definitely
gives me something different.
I've never been a fan of Humbuckers,
but I actually prefer the HS
configuration over the SS configuration,
which is switchable. So this
is my review. Overall I prefer
my Classic Player, but I'm
pleasantly surprised by this
new Player Jag. Probably wouldn't
buy one new, but for just about
what I would have paid for a
used Squire, I think that this
is a nicer guitar! I think that both
Pickups use alnico 2 magnets.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 11:12:25

Wonderful, congrats!
Sounds like a useful, versatile instrument. Show pic!

Just a follow up:

">> I was surprised by the nice sound of the HS pickup configuration. To my ears it retains the Jaguar sound with added strength.<<"

To add to that, to my ears, the HS configuration sounds a lot like how my Classic Player SS pickup Jag sounds when run through an Xotic EP Booster. There's a noticeable increase in volume and, along with the boost, also a slight amount of "woodiness," as I call it, added, but maintaining the Jag twang and clarity. In fact, if I were to gig with the Player Jag, I probably wouldn't bother with a boost pedal. Instead. I'd just switch from the SS configuration to the HS configuration as a boost.

Like I said above, I bought this just for every day practice. Not for gigging. It's kept upstairs in a stand to be picked up whenever I want to play, even if it's a few minutes before bed, or to take downstairs, out on the back porch, etc. My other 2 guitars are kept in cases, but this one is really nice for the daily use that it's getting.

I also like the simplified switching. Also, unlike the Classic Player series Jags, Fender moved the trem to the correct position instead of closer to the bridge. I think this helps the sound, IMHO. Also, the body shape is a bit different from the CP series. Supposedly more accurate to the vintage radius. Not sure what that means, but the body feels good to me.

Sorry if this was already discussed. I searched before posting. The Jaguar is the only Player Series that this review is for. Apparently the Jazzmaster only comes in HH config. I don't think I would like that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 12:43:52

What a great price, and sharp looking guitar. Congrats.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

TomH wrote:

Nice Guitar - I use the original Jaguar design - Their funny animals if not set up right. Like the bridge has to be perfectly level or you get string ring. The pickups set too high will cause the same squeal problem as well.

I see they have a mustang bridge on there (I never noticed if the new designs use the Mustang bridge or not.) I think it mutes the tone a lot myself. It does keep string from jumping off the saddle if you hutting to hard on the strings, but if the saddle is set right that doesn't happen much. I think the ruined the sound swapping the Mustang bridge in. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 17:00:38

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

TomH wrote:

Nice Guitar - I use the original Jaguar design - Their funny animals if not set up right. Like the bridge has to be perfectly level or you get string ring. The pickups set too high will cause the same squeal problem as well.

I see they have a mustang bridge on there (I never noticed if the new designs use the Mustang bridge or not.) I think it mutes the tone a lot myself. It does keep string from jumping off the saddle if you hutting to hard on the strings, but if the saddle is set right that doesn't happen much. I think they ruined the sound swapping the Mustang bridge in. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 1