Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Stumbled on a theme for setting up Fender/ish amps

Page 1 of 1

Probably not a new concept for some, perhaps many. Must admit though, for me, I’ve only just stumbled into this theme in the last couple of weeks. Kind of surprised it isn’t more prevalent.

Lots of references, but I will share 3 that led to me posting here about it.

First up, always appreciating Tavo’s passion and interested in following/hearing about his sonic pursuits, I found this blog post about Setzers set up where he goes into Brian’s typical settings for his Bassman amps. http://thenocturnebrainseltzer.blogspot.com/2015/10/hey-hey-its-been-while-since-my-last.html

That got me wondering and searching and running into 2 similar references in the same vein. They both appear to have originated from way back and sort of campfire stories (word of mouth) from folks close to building the early amps we know and love.

One is a recurring pointer to something called the Fender Magic Six. Interestingly enough, this is not the outboard reverb 6-6-6. It is about the interaction of the volume, treble, mid and bass and captured in a pdf off singlecoil.com that gets pointed to a good bit. http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf

Third, again there are a few (or many) references to guys also taught thru pass down stories (pre-internet tribal knowledge) on listening to the inflection points of the knobs/pots on the amp to get the most open and dynamic sort of natural and optimal voice of any circuit. Many written descriptions explaining the process but found this video showing it (jump to 25:30). https://youtu.be/shAtnDUXGlQ

All three seem to hit around a phenomenon that while we all fiddle knobs to achieve sounds that are pleasing to our own ears and match the sounds in our heads, for Fender style amps in particular, quite often this notion of getting to a somewhat neutral or natural flavor of the tone stack the amps are built with is quite often producing a great sounding and responsive feeling setup that most people find pleasing and desirable ...and a fair amount of the time, it isn’t how people are otherwise dialing in ‘their’ sound.

Like I said at the start, after bumping into this 3 different times and ways only recently, I figured I’d post about it. YMMV.

(edit: fixed link to Tavo's post)

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 09:56:40

Thank you for this. It's totally stuff I need to read!

Daniel Deathtide

Thanks for sharing this, Brian! Very interesting and illuminating.

Bob

Cool stuff, but I would like to add that the best judge is your ear. The 6-6-6 thing is a swell idea, but not all amps have the same tone stacks. There have been variances over the years and component drift, so on and so. Plus, every room impacts the sound. Where the amp is located in relation to a wall impacts the sound. The angle of the speaker cone in relation to the ear impacts the sound. Figure out the tone you want and dial it in, but remember that the controls are never pre-determined - not even for Brian Setzer.

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019 13:04:51

artdecade wrote:

Cool stuff, but I would like to add that the best judge is your ear. The 6-6-6 thing is a swell idea, but not all amps have the same tone stacks. There have been variances over the years and component drift, so on and so. Plus, every room impacts the sound. Where the amp is located in relation to a wall impacts the sound. The angle of the speaker cone in relation to the ear impacts the sound. Figure out the tone you want and dial it in, but remember that the controls are never pre-determined - not even for Brian Setzer.

No disagreement on the factors you mention, nor the 'listen for it' approach.

The interesting thing those 3 references point to in common though is finding the inflection points in the tone stack produces a tone, vibe and feel many seek and/or like.

The Setzer quest by Tavo suggests where Brian found it on the 6G6B Bassman stack - 'it' being where the amp opens up and comes to life.

The other two references suggest roughly where things open up in common Fender amp topologies, or, how to find it by ear, knob by knob. The video calls this important point out too - there are usually a few of those inflection points on each potentiometer. By the way, the "Fender Magic 6" is not 6-6-6. Re-read the reference.

Again, fully agree, room and the rest will absolutely affect what you hear. I just found it interesting that this methodical, aural way to find the "sweet spots" in each individual potentiometer sweep (those inflection points where they affect sound the most) isn't often talked about - but in the span of a few weeks, I bumped into the same fundamental point and approach 3 times.

Edit? Added shortcut directly to the method in the video below.

YMMV!

Cheers

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019 19:34:21

artdecade wrote:

I’ll use your reply as a jumping-on point for my own thoughts. As you mention, not all tone stacks are created equally. The tone stack of various eras of Fender amps changed. 6-6-6 on a Tweed Bassman is not 6-6-6 on a Blackface Twin. One of the first things I learned at Surf 101 is that a Brownface Showman was quite distinctly different from a Blackface Twin. The amps had different sonic characters and an apples:apples comparison is hard to make. But there are other factors to consider.

One factor would be all of the other things that affect the sound coming out of an amp and how we would hear that sound; the speakers themselves, the design and dimensions of the speaker cabinet (size, proportion and open vs closed back, for instance) and the intangibles of the room the amp is in.

Patch cable impedance (especially the capacitive component) and length has a great effect on sound, likewise output and input impedances. Plug a long cable, or a string of true bypass effects into a relatively low impedance input somewhere in the signal chain, and the greatest gear in the world will sound listless and washed out, because the relative effect of the capacitance up to that point will be greater. It is exactly the same thing that would happen were you to place a treble band tone control into the circuit and turn it way down. Capacitance in the signal path is unavoidable, but it has to be carefully managed or it will wreak havoc on your sound.

Perhaps the toughest thing about this entire subject is that it’s all subjective. I’ve seen YouTube videos where someone will extol the virtues of their latest “tone secret” and they will go to all sorts of lengths to present a scientific argument, but they always seem to end up at ‘if you do this, it sounds better’. The problem is, how they are defining and measuring what ‘sounds better’. Once our senses come into play, the waters grow quite murky.

When Bell Labs was inventing the science of acoustics, so they could quantify volume levels and insure that calls were of predictable volume and quality, they were faced with that very dilemma. Measuring sound had never been done and in order to establish a baseline, they had to perform experiments on large groups of test subjects. If one person was asked to evaluate changes in volume, the results would be meaningless, but if 500 test subjects voted (anonymously) regarding their perceptions, a distribution curve could be created and the truth ascertained. This is where the “bel” came from; a unit of the perceived doubling of volume. The bel was decimated into the decibels which are used in sound measurement, to this day. These is also where the Equal Temperament Curves (AKA Fleischer-Munson Curves) which determine the power required to present an evenly perceived volume, at different frequency ranges.

If someone wanted to evaluate the effect of tone settings on the sound of an amp, it would take a similarly large group of test subjects and the terms would have to be carefully defined, because “which sounds better” is entirely subjective and involves tastes as well as perceptions. What sounds good to me is an early ‘60s sound and I would not be a good person to judge sonic variations in lates ‘60s music, because I don’t like heavy distortion; period.

Of course there is another way to do this, and I think Leo Fender did this, himself. What if you had a huge group of test subjects numberin I to the millions, and had them vote for their favorites by means of which songs they bought. In the fifties, adults tended to dislike rock n’ roll, but teens voted for that music at the record store. By the very beginning of the sixties, a cleanish sound was prominent and record sales bore that out.

In ‘65, the Stones came out with Satisfaction and the public voted in distorted guitars as their candidate of choice for ‘good sounding’. For decades afterward, a cranked Marshall was the candidate of choice in the youth market, while Country was more in favor of a clean amp with lots of reverb, along the lines of the Blackface sound. The balance of public tastes vary and sometimes the move dramatically because of just on hit song. There is no absolute definition and while there are some great ideas for amp settings, it still comes down to individual tastes.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Thanks for sharing, Fady! Superb info like this is one of the reasons love SG101.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:31:55

Tqi wrote:

Sad

But... my Fender amps don't have treble, mid or bass controls.

What do I dooooo?

Some of my favorite amps have only a single tone control.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:32:05

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

Some of my favorite amps have only a single tone control.

Sorry. Failed attempt at humour on my part!

What can we expect? You only have one tone knob. Smile

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:32:12

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

What can we expect? You only have one tone knob. Smile

Big Grin

Booooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Just for the record, my favorite Surf amp is a Winfield Tremor, which is essentially the same circuit as a Brownface Princeton, but has an adjustable fixed bias. Four knobs total, Volume, Tone, Speed, Depth.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:32:39

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

Four knobs total, Volume, Tone, Speed, Depth.

Hah! Mine only has three: Volume, Tone, Reverb. And there's a footswitch where if you press it, all the knobs stop doing anything at all!

Vaporizer?

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:32:45

Tqi wrote:

synchro wrote:

Vaporizer?

Naturally!

Great choice.

Page 1 of 1