Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink I saw Dick Dale last night

Page 1 of 1

He was playing at the BellyUp in San Diego. Despite dealing with old man ailments (and he was up all night the night before with a toothache) he put on a great show. Still has the attitude and the energy. And still playing with the strings strung backwards.
He doesn't hang his reverb unit from the ceiling anymore, it was just sitting on a road case.

I saw him on 12-8 in Malibu. Played trumpet and harmonica too but no merch table and no autographing. I approached his wife as she was stepping off the stage to see about getting my DD strat autographed and she told me I would have to wait but invited me back to the seating room of the restaurant where he was sharing his knowledge of all things music for at least 2 hours. He smiled when I handed him a DD strat. An evening I will never forget!!

"Here's to the man who drinks dark ale and goes to bed quite mellow. He lives as he ought to live and dies a jolly good fellow"

He even did a drum duet with the drummer on Thursday. He also had great stories involving folks such as SRV and Jimi Hendrix.

It was great to see an 81 year old "legend" still rocking it. I'm glad you got your autograph.

Dick is playing at a car show /Music Festival in Riverside in a couple of weeks Jan 5 2019 Marriot Hotel Riverside

Dick is performing at The Rhythm Collision Saturday night January 5th, 2019. Marriott Hotel - 3400 Market Street. Riverside,Ca 92501

What a great pic!

My first post on this site may as well be my Dick Dale story.

When I went to see him, I happened to have my Gretsch in the trunk of my car. After the show I brought it in and asked him to autograph it. He obliged, while informing me that the Fender Stratocaster was THE ultimate guitar, and groping my date.

blowtorch wrote:

When I went to see him, I happened to have my Gretsch in the trunk of my car. After the show I brought it in and asked him to autograph it. He obliged, while informing me that the Fender Stratocaster was THE ultimate guitar, and groping my date.

...And the show was... ?

Daniel Deathtide

It is sad that he still has to do this in order to afford the medical attention and supplies he needs. I'm sure he'd rather be relaxing with friends.

DeathTide wrote:

blowtorch wrote:

...And the show was... ?

It was a Dick Dale show. Which means awesome... and LOUD!

blowtorch wrote:

After the show I brought it in and asked him to autograph it. He obliged, while informing me that the Fender Stratocaster was THE ultimate guitar, and groping my date.

At least he didn't grope your guitar and autograph your date.

But seriously, I suspect he still likes to get up in front of fans and do what he's done his whole life. However when you are doing a tour in your 80s you still have to show up on time and provide a good show no matter how you feel or how sick you are. He seems to have acquired a good philosphy of life, which often comes with a long one.

Toneschaser wrote:

I'm sure he'd rather be relaxing with friends.

For some performers, there's just really no relaxing without performing

Page 1 of 1