Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Reissue Fender 59 Bassman LTD

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Do any of you guys played thru a reissue Fender 59 Bassman LTD
with a Reverb Tanks for Surf Music?

Lou D

I haven't used one with a tank, but the amp itself is great with an interesting, complex texture

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

These are loud, bright and very forward sounding. They benefit from a speaker upgrade - the Italian Jensens tend to be a bit harsh sounding with all that brightness. Putting a ~100pF speed-up cap in parallel with the global NFB resistor is also good for curing over-brightness

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

I had three different reissue 59 bassmans. Two that had "blue frame" speakers and one LTD. @tubeswell describes the reissues perfectly "loud, bright and very forward sounding" Not creamy and warm like the vintage ones, but great amps none the less. However, make sure you need that volume first. There are some mods that you could due to reduce volume such as unplug 1-2 speakers, install master volume, use 12AY7 in v1, use less efficient speakers (though the Jensen P10R are ok) and install pentode/triode switch. Still, you maybe frustrated with the volume/brightness. I suggest you try one if possible with your guitar. While they sound GREAT with a reverb unit you may want to look at other options for surf.

Thanks for your answers I just bought one from Sweetwater and It
should be here on Thursday. This is going to be a long range
project. I do have some parts and I plan on getting two 58881
Tubes. The first Tube will be a 12AY7 so where is the best place
to get the Tubes?

Lou D

Twinreverb wrote:

Thanks for your answers I just bought one from Sweetwater and It
should be here on Thursday. This is going to be a long range
project. I do have some parts and I plan on getting two 58881
Tubes. The first Tube will be a 12AY7 so where is the best place
to get the Tubes?

I’ve used ElectroHarmonix 12AY7s and been quite satisfied with the results.

As for new tubes, the TAD 6L6 WGC-STR, Tung Sol 6L6 or Tung Sol 5881 get my votes. For 12AY7, the EHx are good and i like the tung sol 12AX7. If you go the NOS tube route make sure you purchase for a good dealer as old tubes cost quite a bit more. (dougs tubes, kca nos tubes) Also be sure you use a rectifier tube vs the solid state plug in.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018 07:27:23

Twinreverb wrote:

The first Tube will be a 12AY7 so where is the best place
to get the Tubes?

Doug's Tubes has been very good to me; good prices, great service & shipping.

Another vote for the EH 12AY7; great tube. I have also used this in the 12AT7 position in my reverb tank. One other thought for a pre-amp tube in the first position. If you run across any NOS GE 5751 tubes, those are particularly nice. About 70% of the gain of a 12AX7, robust (was a MILSPEC tube) and all the ones I've had (a bunch) have been quiet.

Have fun!
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

derekirving wrote:

As for new tubes, the TAD 6L6 WGC-STR, Tung Sol 6L6 or Tung Sol 5881 get my votes. For 12AY7, the EHx are good and i like the tung sol 12AX7. If you go the NOS tube route make sure you purchase for a good dealer as old tubes cost quite a bit more. (dougs tubes, kca nos tubes) Also be sure you use a rectifier tube vs the solid state plug in.

Badger wrote:

Doug's Tubes has been very good to me; good prices, great service & shipping.

Another vote for the EH 12AY7; great tube. I have also used this in the 12AT7 position in my reverb tank. One other thought for a pre-amp tube in the first position. If you run across any NOS GE 5751 tubes, those are particularly nice. About 70% of the gain of a 12AX7, robust (was a MILSPEC tube) and all the ones I've had (a bunch) have been quiet.

Hey I just want to thank you both for this! This is the kind of thing I was hoping for with that other tubes thread. Saved!

Daniel Deathtide

To go with the Fender 59 Bassman LTD I have these Pedals
(1) B9 Organ Machine (2) Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter Tremolo
(3) TC Electroics Vortex Flanger (4) Boss RT-20. What is a
good Reverb Pedal to go with? Here is my Guitar

Lou D

@twinreverb as for reverb pedals that would go with the Reissue Bassman I'd look at / try "Source Audio True Spring" "Catalinbread Topanga" "EHX Oceans 11" and "Strymon Flint" (even Boss FRV1). Lots will bash reverb pedals and say get a tank, there's nothing better, blah blah - but you mentioned "what is a good reverb pedal to go with" so I'm giving some pedal recommendations. I've owned all of the ones I mention about, some a few times. Currently I'm using the Source Audio True Spring (while i'm not quite sold on the 6G15 in the pedal, I do like the short spring / blackface reverb on it) There are other reverb pedals, but these seem to do spring as best as a pedal can. OH another pedal to look at (if you can call it a pedal) is the "Surfy Bear Pedal Metal" I haven't owned this one. In actuality all these pedals in a live setting are with 10%-20% of eachother reverb spring sound wise, they are just differnt emulations of the same thing - the key is finding one that works best without messing up your base tone, and where you can GET what you need spring wise out of it.

derekirving wrote:

@twinreverb as for reverb pedals that would go with the Reissue Bassman I'd look at / try "Source Audio True Spring" "Catalinbread Topanga" "EHX Oceans 11" and "Strymon Flint" (even Boss FRV1). Lots will bash reverb pedals and say get a tank, there's nothing better, blah blah - but you mentioned "what is a good reverb pedal to go with" so I'm giving some pedal recommendations. I've owned all of the ones I mention about, some a few times. Currently I'm using the Source Audio True Spring (while i'm not quite sold on the 6G15 in the pedal, I do like the short spring / blackface reverb on it) There are other reverb pedals, but these seem to do spring as best as a pedal can. OH another pedal to look at (if you can call it a pedal) is the "Surfy Bear Pedal Metal" I haven't owned this one. In actuality all these pedals in a live setting are with 10%-20% of eachother reverb spring sound wise, they are just differnt emulations of the same thing - the key is finding one that works best without messing up your base tone, and where you can GET what you need spring wise out of it.

I haven’t played a Source Audio True Spring yet, but the demos I’ve heard sound great. I’ve had a Topanga for years and, likewise, find it to be very good. If pedals are your choice, I th8nk that there’s a lot of good choices available.

All that having been said, the TC Electronics Hall of Fame or the HoF Mini can do some wonderful things.

I have a question on my Telecaster I don't like the
Medium Jumbo Frets and the neck does not feel that
great. I like the Vintage Frets that are on the
Clapton Stratocaster. Should I change the Frets to
the Vintage ones and does that change how the guitar
plays? Or should I just sell the Telecaster now with
the Amp I looked into changing some parts and it to
much money. I just don't like what Fender puts into
the Amp.

Lou D

For re-fretting. Are you in LOVE with your telecaster and it's current neck? Or is it replaceable? A re-fret job is not cheap, it may be cheaper to find a used fender tele neck with vintage frets OR just to sell the tele for another guitar with frets you like. A strat with vintage frets vs a tele with vintage frets are two different feels. Changing the frets certainly changes how the guitar plays and feels. Playing chords are different, playing fast or slow changes, bending changes, some stuff is harder to do and some is easier. I'd say be sure to play a tele with vintage frets before committing. Some people relaize they are just more of a tele person vs strat person too (based on guitar sound and feel). I have both and love them both but they feel completely different.

derekirving I'm not going to re-fret what I did I Sold
the Telecaster today and I went back to the Stratocaster
the neck felt a lot better. It was the MIM in Seafoam Pearl
and the guitar was setup great. I'm keeping the Amp because
back in the early 70's my Father bought me a Bassman Head
and Cab ans even tho this is a 4X10 it will remind me of my
Father.

Lou D

Re refretting. If you have a good luthier you trust, you could have the frets recrowned / reworked to feel like vintage size frets (I know folks who have had this done). It will of course change the way the neck feels/plays but for you, in a good way. Significantly cheaper than a refret
and much less invasive.

@twinreverb that strat is HOT. I have a strat, tele and jazzmaster. For some reason for my rock n roll rockabilly band, the Tele gets 80% of the work. I don't even like telecasters that much Smile Looks like selling your tele worked out perfect !!

derekirving yes it did as it turned out the Compound Radius
neck did not work out for me. You don't see that color Seafoam
Pearl that often. For now the pickups are fine if I decide to
change them what would you suggest? I also believe that guitar
will be good for Surf Music and Rockabilly Music.

Lou D

@twinreverb there are so many pickup selections these days and there's going to be a ton of different suggestions. The ones I use are by Rumplestilskin (Miller's Daughter in my Strat and 50's Black Rope in my Tele). I think all of the Don Mare pickups are incredible too, as are Van Zandt Pickups (especially old ones) and the Fender Pure Vintage '59s are fine. I've used all of these, but have currently standardized on the Rumplestilskins. The key to a great pickup for me, is how they sound at gig volumes. Do they hold together, are they bright without ice pick, are they warm and have musical character and don't have muddy mids or bass. Poor pickups to me may sound great at home practice, but then sound poor at gig volumes.

^^ +1 for the Fender Pure Vintage '59 pups. I swapped a set into my MIM Strat and just could NOT be any happier, gorgeous vintage tone and chiminess for surf!

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Goto Page: 1 2 Next