Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Tell me about the Tremolux

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I did some searching but didn't see too many threads that were specific to the kind of info I'm seeking.

I found a '63 Tremolux locally that the shop tells me is all original including the Oxfords, caps, etc. Power tubes are new but that appears to be it.

What are your experiences with these? Do they work as well as Bandmasters and Showmans for our kind of thing but at a lower volume?

Thanks!

Neptune Trojans

I assume that is a Brownface?
I have a 61 head, took me a while to warm up to it. So much less bottom end compared to the Showman (through the same cab). It really shines at volume 7 and up. Vibrato not as good as Showman, but better than Blackface. If you have a low volume drummer I think you can make it work, if the venue is a quiet one (or if you rely on PA).Be aware that the transformers on these things are tiny, and that would worry me for a long gig, if stressed.
I did find it very useful for recording sketches,
Ran

The Scimitars

Yup, brownface. 6L6 (not the super rare EL84 one). It's so hard to tell in a shop what an amp will do with a drummer.

Edit: Thanks for the note on the trem. I'm aware it's a bias mod, not harmonic. Found a '61 Vibrasonic nearby too but it was prohibitively expensive and I think needed some work. The Shoan would be too big for me, so it's down to a Bamaster or Pro I think if I want harmonic trem.

Neptune Trojans

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018 18:37:30

I wouldn't get too hung up about the term, but it's up to you to decide how much you use it. I haven't played mine in a live settings either. I put a high demand on the amp with the thick strings. Your style may be different. I would say if it's a good deal, get it and try. I doubt you will have problems selling it if you don't like it.

The Scimitars

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018 21:43:54

Thanks for the input and advice!

Neptune Trojans

I think that type of amp, say 22 Watts, is more of a practice amp. I had one and we blew the speakers and the head trying to keep up with the drummer. Great sounding amp, but not so practical for live shows.

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

I'm pretty sure the Tremolux is 30 Watts, like the Vibrolux and Vibroverb combo amps.

Given that the brown Vibroverb reissues are plenty for most gigs, you could probably make it work in a surf band setting with some very high efficiency speakers - JBLs, EVs, or some modern equivalent. As a general rule, doubling the wattage of an amplified results in a 3db increase in sound level. Theoretically, you can get the same sound level increase by replacing a 97db SPL speaker with a 100db SPL speaker.

According to Wikipedia, it's a 15w amp. The guitarist in my second band had one and it's still going strong after more than 50 years. Here's how it sounded in a studio situation in 1966 (or was it '65?). There's a guitar solo with a fat hollow body Guild in there somewhere.

http://www.leisureland.us/audio/KickingYou.mp3

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018 08:32:24

I think the tweed ones were 15 watts, but by 1962 they were putting out 30. The circuit in the amp I am looking at is a 6G9-B.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/tremolux_blonde.html

Neptune Trojans

Mystery Man Richard has one, and it sounds like THE VOICE OF GOD. We ALWAYS encourage him to play through it. I'm hoping he'll chime in here. I think of it more like a piggyback Deluxe Reverb, but I don't know how fair that is. I also think that it keeps up plenty fine in terms of volume, but Chad also plays a Deluxe and it keeps up fine as well (I usually practice with a Bandmaster and gig with a Vibroverb). Witchery, I tell you!

Good info, I know Richard! I bought his blonde 6G15 RI. I didn't hang onto it and ended up buying myself a replacement down the road (so rest assured there's a 6G15 up here in Michigan with "Mystery Men?" written on the back in Sharpie).

Maybe I'll drop him a line. With the drummer I usually play with, I can keep my DRRI clean if necessary. This amp would mostly be for home use, though.

Thanks!

Neptune Trojans

I still regret selling mine.
It was a '64 transition model (with the GZ34 tube rectifier), Blackface with blonde cosmetics and 2 x 10" cab.
For bigger clubs it had to be pushed to its limits (because of that I once blew a speaker, sadly) considering it being used for rhythm guitar playing, no lead (we have a VERY loud drummer).
For smaller clubs and recording, this is a mighty amp IMHO.
I did our whole 'Aloha Summer' album with it.
Would get it back instantly, if I could.

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

I gig mine more than any other amp. I leave it at home mostly only when logistics lead me to not want to mess with a separate head and cab or the venue will be particularly large/loud. I think the blonde Tremolux is a near perfect mid-size club amp (in the same family as the Vibroverb and Vibrolux, as mentioned) and it probably has its reputation for not being very loud from people who played them with the stock speakers. Stories of blown speakers in early Tremolux's abound. Like Mel said, an efficient speaker will take you far. I play mine through a single EV12L.

They are unfortunately priced relative to their desirability and scarcity, which is to say high. I thought I'd paid a lot for mine, a wheat-grilled '63, five or so years ago when I bought it, but I couldn't touch another one for the price now.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Yeah, part of the problem is the price. I don't own any vintage amps and I am worried about it turning into a money pit. It's not a private seller where they might be willing to let me open the hood and I might just have to take the shop's word on it. With what is likely a necessary cap job and once-over it's just too much money.

Fender really needs to reissue some blondes/brownfaces.

Neptune Trojans

Hey Brent, as long as you have a resource within driving distance that you trust, I wouldn't worry too much about it turning into a money. These things are serviceable and once up to speed, ready for battle for years to come. Mine was literally pulled out a basement and needed EVERYTHING. My tech, when I emailed him to tell him what I had, immediately responded with "Whatever you do, don't turn it on!"

If the couple of extra hundred bucks that a full service would be really puts you over the line, then do ask about checking under the hood. It may very well have been serviced at some point in the not too distant past, and probably would have to have been if anyone was really using it.

In any case, I think we all agree on wanting Fender to reissue more blonde/brownface amps, but it probably doesn't make too much sense to them. They seem to still be kind of a niche thing, and the vintage examples are disproportionately under-valued compared to Fender guitars and basses from the period, or any of the major blackface combos.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I don't want to be spreading them all over the Internet because it's not my amp (yet, maybe?), but I got some gut shots. Anyone willing to take a look? I can link them or email links or whatever.

Neptune Trojans

If its got old yellow astron coupling caps, they could be leaky. Especially the output tube couplers. These have to not-leak any DC in order to ensure proper negative bias voltage is supplied to the output tube grids. The vintage yellow ones are known to be not super reliable. The other caps that will probably definitely need replacing are the electrolytics, especially the filter and bias supply caps. These caps weren't originally designed to last 50 years. So don't switch it on until you've had the caps done. YMMV.

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

I have a 61 Trem since a few years after its birth which I forgot about for fifty years when I found it in the rafters at my moms house a few years back.

Hauling my 61 Showman or 60 Vibrasonic is not a joy, so, when I found the Trem I thought, bitchin, this is a light amp and speaker cab.

Of course, after sitting for fifty years, it did not work, so, I tuned it up and changed the caps. Result: no thunder.

Replaced the OT with a 62 Bassman: not much better.

Opened the speaker cab, removed the two 10" Jensens and replaced with two 12" JBL's. Not the sound I want. Since it was clear I was wasting my money, I think its now in the rafters of my house where it will stay. Or maybe I sold it!

Because I dabble a tad with some instrumental music, I think I know what sound the die-hard surf players desire and in my opinion, a Tremolux won't do the job. But then, that is an opinion from someone who only plays through a 61 Showman or 60 Vibrasonic, so, others may disagree.

PMS: On the other hand, word on the street is that blues players love the amp.

If your only tool is a hammer...then all you can do is pound people over the head with it. For a lot of playing situations a Tremolux is an excellent surf amp and a great addition to your tool box. Other than the tube rectifier the circuitry of a Tremolux and a Showman, Bandmaster, etc. (of the same era) are all very, very similar. The main difference is the output horsepower and headroom. I've used a Tremolux with the 2x10 cabinet loaded with JBL D110F for countless gigs. Obviously it doesn't have the brute force and max SPL of my Showman and 2x15 cab but not many of the restaurants, small bars, and private parties that we play require that.

As far as an amp being a money pit: Once the basic repairs and maintenance that has been described has been completed the amp should be good for many years of service. They usually aren't like an old car, or a boat, or a house where it's always one thing after the other breaking down.

I would be happy to take a look at your gut shot pics and offer my opinion if you are still thinking about it. Good Luck!!

I have little experience with these amps, but the specs send positive signals. Basically a Brownface circuit in a nice physical size with the advantage of a piggyback cabinet. The 6L6 models were rated at 35 watts, according to Wikipedia, which is a very nice spot on the power continuum.

By the strangest of coincidences, Winfield Thomas recently demo’d an amp that is closely related to a Tweed Vibrolux, and according to him, it is quite similar to a Brownface Princeton as well. I know that the tremolo is great sounding and in the linear range, it’s got a wonderful basic timbre for First Wave Surf (which is what I play). The bottom line is that one of these will soon be gracing my abode, to keep company with my Elizabeth (6L6s, and about 40 watts of Blackface goodness in a 32 pound package).

While I have used powerful amps, and still keep a couple around, I am of the opinion that some very decent Surf sounds can be had with a small amp. Our band plays the County Fair every year and I usually bring a 5 watt amp and stick a mic’ in front of it. Through the PA, it sounded as big as a Showman and was a whole lot easier to schlep in and out of the gig.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 20:19:09

Goto Page: 1 2 Next