Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surf DRIP using Line6 POD

Page 1 of 1

Hello! I'm new here and here's my first post. I'm in love with the surf sound of the 1960s, the reverb, the drip all of that. And I want to find the best way to get a drip sound without buying a tank...So I looked on YouTube and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESJhXjlvo_Q
Sounds very good right? Seems to me. Could anyone test these settings on theirs if they have one? Because it seems too good to be true to me!

Thanks,
Liam

Liam S

Welcome Liam. Are you handy with a soldering iron? If so, this is the answer to your reverb prayers - SurfyBear DIY kit. There's 106 pages on them here.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

So I own two of those PODs. I have used them for band practice before going straight into a mixer. The reverb does sound great in this video. I'm actually shocked.

The compressor is used and reverb is maxed out. With a Jaguar, I am guessing the pickups have a lot to do getting the drip sounding that good. With a Strat, I have never even gotten close to getting it this drippy.

Unless the video is misleading and is running an actual reverb tank and showing the POD as a joke...it sounds darn good to my ears. I have an original POD as well as the 2.0 he refers to.

Thanks for the post and welcome to the club.

Update: I was really curious about this video so I did some digging. Seems like the same person also owns a reverb tank. I'll just let everyone draw their own conclusions. Sounds sketchy to me. Check his other video below. The POD is in clear view on top of the speaker cabinet...reverb tank is on the floor to the left.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018 21:10:33

That's Nate, he's a member here & I know him personally. He's a good dude. He's not trying to deceive anyone. Maybe he'll chime in with specifics.

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

I have ran my surfybear reverb pedal into the POD many times, bypassing the POD's own reverb effect (turning it counter-clockwise to 0). That's the only way I can get a noticeable drip like in the video.

Specifics would be great!

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

That’s me that made those two videos. There’s no tricks. The first video, that shows just a picture of the POD, is just the POD; recorded into my iPhone using an irig, with no processing. What you hear in that video is exactly what I hear in headphones. The drippy sound is not as pronounced when going through an amp/speaker.
Which brings us to the second video: That video was meant to convey my excitement about my new JBL K130 Showman-style speaker cabinet. I did mention my signal chain, but only briefly. So here’s the scoop: The POD settings in the second video are the same as in POD video one, except for the reverb, which is turned all the way down. I run the POD through the Reverb tank, then into my 10 watt amp as audio in, then out to the cab.
Very simple and inexpensive, and sounds damn good - low or loud.
As for the comment about the strat, yes, the guitar pickups matter, it’s the jag pickups. I have a variety of electric guitars, including a strat, only my Jaguire and Jazzmaster have a good solid drip sound, using the POD.
I hope that clarifies the mystery. I’ll make another video soon with a more specific focus on the “POD for surf” subject. I will say, the POD - with headphones - is not a bad way to practice, and it’s a pretty decent tool for recording surf guitar, tank or no tank.

Nate

PS: Thanks for the heads up, Bob! Smile
PSS: Btw, everyone, Bob Kennedy, from the comment above, makes outstanding real-deal vintage drippy Jazzmaster pickups!

...SurfbumNate _m/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018 13:44:58

Nothing to contribute to the whole Pod discussion, but just wanted to point out that before there was the Astronauts' 'drip', there was the Chantays and the Pyramids - Strats most certainly DO 'drip', and here's evidence - and incidentally, almost certainly what the Astronauts were trying to emulate when they got into surf music by accident. (Oh, and let's not forget the original 'drip' king - Mr. DD himself.)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

A tank or surfybear is the way to go, if you’re looking to perform. The POD is great for practice, but you’ll still want a separate drippy reverb if you’ll be playing loud through an amp. If the budget won’t allow either, you might want to check out the new Oceans 11 Reverb pedal, it’s under $150 and sounds great. You can try one out at guitar centers, and you can see a bunch of good reviews online - Ryan at 60 Cycle Hum does the best job VIDEO

Hope that helps

lljsullins wrote:

Hello! I'm new here and here's my first post. I'm in love with the surf sound of the 1960s, the reverb, the drip all of that. And I want to find the best way to get a drip sound without buying a tank...So I looked on YouTube and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESJhXjlvo_Q
Sounds very good right? Seems to me. Could anyone test these settings on theirs if they have one? Because it seems too good to be true to me!

Thanks,
Liam

...SurfbumNate _m/

Well not at all...But my grandpa is, he's been playing since he was 15 or so with a 1954 Strat lucky guy...But he traded it for a ES-335...Thanks I might just do the surfy bear.

DannySnyder wrote:

Welcome Liam. Are you handy with a soldering iron? If so, this is the answer to your reverb prayers - SurfyBear DIY kit. There's 106 pages on them here.

Liam S

So do all you guys think that the Surfy Bear is the way to go here? For now I'm playing through a 1980s Peavey Studio Pro so, the onboard reverb isn't that great but there is an actual pan in it.

Liam S

lljsullins wrote:

So do all you guys think that the Surfy Bear is the way to go here? For now I'm playing through a 1980s Peavey Studio Pro so, the onboard reverb isn't that great but there is an actual pan in it.

In a word, YES - particularly for the $$ it's pretty much the next best thing to a real Fender 6G15 reverb unit. That EHX Oceans 11 sounds very very good but the Surfy Bear will have a real reverb pan that you can kick around for fun. Big Grin I have a vintage 1965 6G15 that I lovingly restored and the Surfy Bear definitely holds a candle to it!

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Hi Liam, you can read the thread about Surfy Bears at https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/24295/ and decide for yourself, but the short answer is yes. Not to speak for everyone, but for the money the Surfy Bear is is the most authentic surf reverb sound you can get. The Surfy Bear uses JFET solid-state technology to recreate the circuits of a tube-based Fender tank and just like a Fender unit it sends the signal to a full-size honest-to-god reverb pan.

I built one and I honestly believe that, with a little soldering practice, anyone can do it. You can read about my build here: https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/24295/?page=50#p368996

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Page 1 of 1