Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NGD - Red SGV 300

Page 1 of 1

This week I received my latest guitar, a red Yamaha SGV 300 in excellent shape. Got it off ebay for 359 (USD) - I was very surprised there was only one bidder and I was able to get it for less than 400 (and shipping was free).

It is in amazing shape, with just a couple of nicks or dings, and it was well set up with 10s - I haven't had to change a thing. The seller stated it was in excellent condition, and was not exaggerating a bit. The one thing missing is the vibrato bar, though I've got what is hopefully a suitable replacement on the way.

I love the looks, of course, but also appreciate the different sounds I can get out of it, particular from the pair of pickups at the bridge and the ability to blend them with the third pot. It's tempting to get such a guitar just for the design, but it would be hard to justify if it sounded too much like my other guitars.

And I really like the neck. A number of people comment that the neck is just too thin or narrow for them, but it suits me just fine. The nut width and string spacing at the nut is just a hair less than my short scale offsets, so I don't really notice much difference.

And now I have 3 red guitars - not that I planned that, as I really would like one of the green or blue SGV 300s. Here's the SGV along with my Squier Cyclone and Squier VM Mustang. I'm most likely going to sell the Cyclone to keep the number of guitars at a manageable level. Probably will keep the Mustang for a while (it's got an Allparts JGRO neck, which makes for a good combo in my mind).

Congrats. That's a beauty. Really like those SGV's. I saw one in a shop some years ago and recognized it was a well made guitar but really didn't have an appreciation for it at the time....now would be a different story. Lately I find myself to be drawn to the more offbeat offsets.

To me, it's an offbeat design that really works as a whole. Too many new guitars out there today are just re-hashes of the tried and true models or awkward mash-ups that just don't work. Of course, the SGV models were reissues of a 60s design, but it still works and doesn't look dated (at least to me).

I have the 3 pup strat version. Not in perfect, mainly rust issues so all of saddles were frozen in place. Replaced the saddles and all better! The is THE MOST ERGONOMIC GUITAR I have ever played!

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

I find it a pleasure to hold and to play mine. The one quibble I have is that I often hit the pickup surround near the bridge with my pick - I believe the previous owner had already raised the pickups making them a bit too close to the strings for my style of picking (although sound-wise they are in a great spot).

I have the bass version arriving on Thursday. Guitar

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Awesome - hope you post some pics when it arrives. I had been considering getting one of the basses for a while. Still might at some point, but I'm really happy with the bass I have now that I've fixed it up.

Great buy - I've been wanting one for a long time now, but just haven't had the funds.

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

Haven't got it yet, but here it is. Hoping it survives shipping.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Staredge wrote:

Haven't got it yet, but here it is. Hoping it survives shipping.

Nice! That would be the perfect pairing with my SVG. I started out on bass, so I definitely appreciate a cool one like that.

Page 1 of 1