Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » North Sea Surf Radio »

Permalink Open message to Niels Jansen

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Brian wrote:

Mike75 wrote:

I’m no fan of NSSR for obvious reasons,

This is completely not obvious to me...?

but there are some good people involved. I can offer places for shows on www.surfrockradio.com and our sister station www.surfmusicradio.com

However the elitism that was apparent within NSSR must end.

WTF?

There were little tiffs in some of the surf music groups on Facebook. Typical online nonsense. Apparently some feelings got hurt. Whatever

As for Niels and NSSR, it is disappointing but understandable.

Since surf music isn't exactly a lucrative genre, ultimately, the scene is primarily volunteer based. When the rest of life gets in the way of volunteering, its up to others to pull the weight.

NSSR can survive. I think there is enough DJ and Listener love for it. But I think the leadership needs to be de-centralized so that when Niels gets busy, others can step in very easily. The technical service itself needs to be more automated so it doesn't require so many manual tasks from leadership/administrators. And as Brian mentioned, a succession plan needs to be developed so that the service can be maintained in the event of any major contingencies.

And of course, all of that requires more effort up front by Niels, and more volunteers by the end.

I hope things can work out. And if not, I hope that something new and exciting will rise from the ashes.

I think the "obvious reason" Mike mentioned is because he runs surfrockradio.com, a very capable direct competitor.

Can't speak to the elitism comment.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

I think the "obvious reason" Mike mentioned is because he runs surfrockradio.com, a very capable direct competitor.

"Competitor"? I wasn't aware playing surf music on the internet was a competition. No one is getting paid here or stealing artists / revenue from the other.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread with some ax grinding.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Totally agree, but I guess you could argue that it's a limited audience that they're competing for the attention of. In a way my radio show is a smaller competitor of both but I don't see it that way (and since Mike sends me promos from his label, I don't think he does either).

Being a volunteer college radio programmer, I can sympathize with the problem here. Job status, free time, disposable income, and family obligations can vary greatly from year to year. I enjoy a lot of the online surf programming and hope it can continue. I don't take it for granted, because any survey of a college radio station staff meeting would reveal a stunning amount of gray hair.
(Yes, I'm listening to "Storm Surge of Reverb" right now, Hunter.)

Ha thanks! In the true spirit of this thread, my flow got interrupted a few times because I had to take a screwdriver to the turntable

djangodeadman wrote:

Mike75 wrote:

I’m no fan of NSSR for obvious reasons, but there are some good people involved. I can offer places for shows on www.surfrockradio.com and our sister station www.surfmusicradio.com

However the elitism that was apparent within NSSR must end.

Which elitism would that be?

No reply?

Los Fantasticos

All the best to Niels and his DJs. Thanks for all the great music!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2